• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out theĀ New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My Mara Jade WIP

jwnikita

So a friend of mine was one of the first ladies to do the Mara jade decipher costume, and she chose a purple linen for her Cape. This is accurate to the card, however Iā€™m curious if this would pass approval now seeing that the CRL states tan or brown for the Cape. Opinions comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a friend of mine was one of the first ladies to do the Mara jade decipher costume, and she chose a purple linen for her Cape. This is accurate to the card, however Iā€™m curious if this would pass approval now seeing that the CRL states tan or brown for the Cape. Opinions comments?

As the CRL is currently written, no it would not. But I'd also argue that the fabric is actually brown, but looks purple due to lighting. The back is where it is really purple, where a directed source of coloured light can go easily. If you look where it hangs by her feet though, it looks more light brown than purple. That is likely the truer colour of the fabric.

On 11/28/2017 at 3:44 AM, jwnikita said:

My leatherworker is almost done with the harness and belt. The clear coat on the back piece bubbled so it needs to be fixed then painted. Curios for feedback from you.
689c61cbe6971e7c084375bfee69cba8.jpg60f40d481c3b0c76937cc2f35ef6a9d5.jpg

Hello, I would like to know what reference materials you are using to base your look off of?

A lot of your details are different that the reference materials I am familiar with, so I would be interested to know what are the Reference materials you are working off of?

Have you looked at the CRL for this costume?

CRL:Ā http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:Mara_jade

Shoulder Harness:

The round silver connector looks too massive, the 3 connecting points are supposed to be roughly the width of the leather straps.Ā 

While it has the correct look, it looks to be double the size it should be.

See this pic:Ā http://chucrew.com/Mara/wpimages/wpc5413a02.jpg

Why are the straps doubled?

Belt:

Why are there 2 rivets in the belt, where the extra strap is fixed in the front, to the side of the belt buckle?

Why are there 2 holes in the belt on the other side of the belt buckle?

Is the extra strap going to drape over your hip like it is supposed to, or be hanging in the air?

Holdout Holster:

Why is the strap holding the pistol in the holster on the outside? The strap and opening of the strap are supposed to be on the inside.

The holsters design is so that she can open the strap easily and quickly with her right hand.

See this pic:Ā http://databank.501st.com/mw501/images/1/18/SL-mara-blacksuit-holdout.jpeg

Edited by Yankee71

14 minutes ago, jwnikita said:

Everything has been run through my GML. My reference is the CRL for Decipher version.

So now I am confused.

CRL stands for Costume Reference Library.

There is no CRL for a "DecipherĀ version" in the 501st.

Please post a link to the CRL you are referring to, so I can take a look at it.

The whole reason Detachments exist, is to help people with their builds, and to make sure they are accurate.

Ā 

It is already listed in the CRL. ONE CAN DO THE COMIC VERSION OR the Decipher version. The shin guards, cape and gloves are from the Decipher version.

ok if you are using the Mara Jade: Black Bodysuit CRL as your reference, why then is yours different than the reference?

Like I said above, the Silver connector on that is HUGE in comparison to the size it should be, and all the other things I was trying to point out to you that were wrong with the 1st two items you listed.

Ultimately approval falls on your GML, we try to coach people into getting their costumes correct, so that approvals happen the 1st time someone submits their costume to their GML.

If your GML is accepting your work, will all the things I noted wrong with it, that is up to your GML.Ā Ā 

If that is the case, I will stop commenting on your items as you post them.Ā 

If your GML is accepting your work, with a lookĀ different than the Reference material, then I have no way of stearing you in the right direction, if I don't know what direction that is.

c8c90df13540b2ab7fa9edbd6fb07096.jpg

This is the decipher version. I have seen many approved with this version. This includes members in my own Garrison. Also please tell me where the exact measurements are for some of the parts you say are wrong. There are no exact measurements as there are in other costume CRLā€™s. Again I have been running all of these things by my GML and have gotten positive feedback and have made changes to things that he suggested needed changing. Also this thread has been up for months and months and one possibly two people have commented on this none of them with the errors that you have mentioned. Also this thread has been up for months and months and one possibly two people have commented on this none of them with the errors that you have mentioned. Curious as to why you would just be now pointing out all of these things since this is an older thread. ( unless of course you are just discovering it ).

The straps have a measurement of 3 to 4 cm wide, says it in the CRL. The width of the strap is supposed to match up to the silver connector evenly. Your connection points are double the size of your straps, why I said your silver connector is double the size it should be.Ā  Everything I was pointing out are differences between your work and the reference materials.Ā  If you didn't want people to comment on your work, then what was the point of making a WIP thread?

Besides commenting on people's WIP builds, I read everything on the forums, but it takes time to read everything, and sometimes other pressing matters distract me away from what I am reading. I also run the Forums, Change peoples forum permissions, Do Merch runs,Ā  write CRLs, Assist GMLs when they post costumes for review they are not sure about. Once in awhile I try to get away from the forums and have a life!Ā Ā 

You posted those 2 items in Nov, todayĀ is the next time you posted anything new with the wig pics. I usually let the peers who have already made the costume in question do most of the commenting, as no one pointed out the errors I saw, I finally did.Ā  We are trying to help you have the best looking costume you possibly can, if you don't want that help, that is your choice.Ā  Before you posted that you ran everything through your GML, I could not possiblyĀ know that information.Ā 

I had a GML post pics for this very costume, with the very same mistakes as yours, not to long ago. I was trying to help you, by pointing out these mistakes before the point that a GML is posting the application pics for me to comment on. If your GML has already approved your items,Ā the way they are with the things I pointed out wrong with them, then why do you even care what my opinion is?

30 minutes ago, jwnikita said:

This is the decipher version. I have seen many approved with this version. This includes members in my own Garrison. Also please tell me where the exact measurements are for some of the parts you say are wrong. There are no exact measurements as there are in other costume CRLā€™s. Again I have been running all of these things by my GML and have gotten positive feedback and have made changes to things that he suggested needed changing. Also this thread has been up for months and months and one possibly two people have commented on this none of them with the errors that you have mentioned. Also this thread has been up for months and months and one possibly two people have commented on this none of them with the errors that you have mentioned. Curious as to why you would just be now pointing out all of these things since this is an older thread. ( unless of course you are just discovering it ).

CRL Quote:Ā 

• The straps for the shoulder harness are made from brown leather that is approximately 3 or 4 cm wide.
Edited by Yankee71

My point is this basically if you were so eager to point out mistakes in costumes such as mine why take so long and wait till work is completed? If in fact the items which I have run by my GM PAL do not pass then so be it but in the future if you see something in someoneā€™s WIP thread and no one has pointed it out yet, then maybe you should a little bit sooner. It would avoid much aggravation on all parts

If my GML has a miss guided me in anyway I will be happy to come back and report that. I appreciate your input but again itā€™s too little too late since the construction of the items you are tearing apart has already been done and wouldā€™ve been useful months ago when you first saw it. Letā€™s leave it up to my GM now and again if he has steered me wrong then I will come back here and let you know

I am not eager to point out things that are wrong, it gives me no pleasure. Just as a GML is not eager to not approve a costume submission. It's the Responsibility that goes with the job.

Also important to keep in mind, 501st elections are in Feb, and everything can change in some units after the election, to include the GML.Ā 

The images you posted on 13 Nov looked good, but I also had no frame of reference to judge them by.

The images you posted on 28 Nov were on a mannequin, also not the best frame of reference, because it's how it looks on the body. Why one of my questions was does the extra strap on the belt hang close to your body or stick out in the air, because on the mannequin it is sticking out in the air, and not knowing your body type makes it impossible to know how it will sit on your body.

I am not trying to hurt your feelings by saying there are things wrong with your costume. I am saying it, because it neededĀ to be said, and no one else was saying it.

I am also not trying to argue with you about anything, I am just pointing out things that I noticed that are off or different than the reference materials.

The next time you post another Item to this thread, send me a link in a PM, and I will give it my full attention, usually within a matter of hours.

Hello all.Ā  I'm Garrison Excelsior's GML.Ā  I didn't know there was a parallel conversation going on, so let me catch up...

Ā 

Jill,

In the images you sent me via FB on 11/26 (our first contact) were small and I did not notice the extra double-strapping. Ā 

Here is the CRL for the "Mara Jade: Black Bodysuit"

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:Mara_jade

There is no "Comic Version" or "Decipher Card Version".Ā  The only mention of Decipher is within the Shin and Knee Guards element:Ā  "The shin and knee guards may be custom sculpted to match the designs used in the comics, or they may be based on the police style shin and knee pads used in the Decipher image of Mara."Ā  You only mentioned to me you were working on a "Mara Jade".Ā  This is the first time I have heard your build being the "Decipher Card Version".

Purple in not a color option for the cape.

As in the CRL references, there are no visible rivets on the belt or harness.

In my reply on 11/30, You asked if it was OK to have two straps coming out of the top.Ā  I replied "There is no specific statement about what the leather pieces coming out of the top.Ā  Most overlap them and it does look better." Whether it be a single piece split into two, or two single pieces coming out of the same space and splitting off. I continued "Also, your three tabs should not be so much larger then the strap coming out."Ā  I even provided the CRL image for reference to visualize the issue.

Ā File:SL-mara-blacksuit-harness.jpeg

In your image posted today, you did not address the size of the tabs, but rather made the ends of the straps larger which would still be an issue with the design.

I'm sorry if you feel I have misguided you in any way, but please do not say "Everything has been run through my GML." when you had only asked me about the double straps coming out of the top tab, and the color of the leather.Ā  Outside of that one inquiry I have not been involved in your build. Ā 

Ā 

If you were not able to adjust the STL file for the back, it could be cut and filed into a more accurate shape.Ā  Use styrene and Bondo to blend the new shape.

MJ%20Back3.jpg

Ā 

Everyone here has the same goals: To help you make the best costume you can.Ā  The process is a labor of love, an investment in both time and $$.Ā  It can be daunting and discouraging as you navigate the bumps in the road.Ā  But in the end you have a costume you can be proud of, wear to events to entertain child and adult fans of Star Wars with other members of this wonderful community.Ā 

After speaking with Satya, we may need to check the width of the straps.Ā  The straps being half the width may be why I thought the tabs were too large.Ā  With no other visual cues, I figured the straps were correct and the tabs were too large.Ā  If the straps are too narrow, the tabs might be alright.Ā  But we won't know until we see the correct width straps in place.

Another option you might want to give a thought.Ā Try to find out where those who came before you ordered their stuff from.

Go through the picture gallery list of all the DS and find the peopleĀ who have made this costume, look up their TK number on the Legion website, and then try to contact those who have an email listed.

(This is what I do when looking for answers, and no one seems to be reading my WIP, as I got ZERO help from anyone when I was making my Starkiller hoth)

Tell you what, I will do you one better.Ā I will look up the information myself, and I will send you a PM with a list of emails for anyone who has this costume and has an email listed in the profile.

Then all you have to do is send a message to each email, asking them questions about where they ordered their stuff from.

Look for a PM in a few mins.

Ā 

@TrooperPX Thank you for chiming in and I do appreciate all of the info that you are providing. I also apologize for any confusion or miss information on all accounts. The person who did all of the leather work is a 50 first member and it was my understanding that he was following the CRL as well as communicating with his GML for information. I suppose the two rivets are on the front to keep the buckle in place. He did offer me the option to have a fake buckle in the front and then a fascinating in the back underneath the holster but I chose the metal not realizing that there would be to rivets and that it would be an issue. Iā€™m not sure how to fix this without leaving two holes in the belt but I will attempt to do so. I do have some Bargeā€™s cement so perhaps I can come up with a solution using that without too much of adjustment to the rest of the belt. Will I need to get rid of the snap on the holster in the back as well? Also are the harness strap with wide enough as they are? Not including the tabs that go into the back piece because that will be changed since I have already ordered a new one.

As for the back piece I have had so many issues with the artist who printed it that I went ahead and ordered a different one from Pam on Etsy. It appears to be smaller and she says that it is cast from the molds that are seen in the CRL and as far as I know she has a Mara build but I am not positive on that.

As for the Cape, I am doing a brown/tan Cape I simply had a question about the purple color because I had seen some old pictures not necessarily of legion members, that showed a purple cape and I was just curious.
@Yankee71 thank you as well for your input and for prompting all of this which any of the previous responders to my questions didnā€™t seem to address or were afraid to. Not sure but it is very discouraging especially spending quite a bit of money and having these leather pieces that Iā€™m not sure how to fix. It is very frustrating and I apologize if I came off in the wrong way.

I have uploaded a bunch of images to a Google Drive shared folder that I will post the link momentarily. If you could both please take a look and provide any feedback for anything that has not already been said I would greatly appreciate it. Feeling really discouraged, embarrassed and down at the moment.