• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My Mara Jade WIP

jwnikita

Look what I bought today! Both on sale, fabric was 14.99/yd and the pattern was 1.99!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1248be7b5d55e03b711e8dc6bde71dd6.jpg

• Like 2

Got the new LED for my lightsaber along with a purple day blade. Not sure how well you can tell the color from the picture but it is a violet amethyst. The second pick is with the day blade, sort of reminds me of a black light.

91e141f5fbc8aa95d4b62bdcd3be7274.jpg2ded05a5854cec93238c721b91752329.jpg

• Like 2

No I do have a question that I'm hoping some of you can help me with. What are the dimensions for the assassin style blaster? I want to make sure that the person I commissioned to make it has the correct information. Also regarding the Cape, what fabric did you use and was there any pattern in particular that you used for it?

No I do have a question that I'm hoping some of you can help me with. What are the dimensions for the assassin style blaster? I want to make sure that the person I commissioned to make it has the correct information. Also regarding the Cape, what fabric did you use and was there any pattern in particular that you used for it?

As far as I know, there is no specific dimensions required for the holdout blaster. I should be small enough that when placed at your back it either isn't seen at all or only a small amount. So, small.

I'm making my new cape out of curtain material I found and liked. I know some have used linen. There isn't a required type of material, just colour requirements. No pattern as yet as it's all waiting at home to be washed and then I'm going to freehand it by draping it.

I bought these today. I think they'll work

6c894b60b04c47282a42fb942c5821dc.jpg

Also bought this linens shower curtain to see if it will work for the Cape. Much cheaper than raw silk.

1b292699120a59c33105ceef3fb45534.jpgaea3d7c54606c417df81aa756fe3e861.jpg

Thoughts?

So the shower curtain arrive today and is decidedly not fabric at all even though the description said it was fabric. It is plastic. So back to the drawing board. The goggles are great though.

I think that color and texture for the cape looks great! I just adore linens for their natural woven look, definitely the type of fabric I use the most out of anything.

As for the bodysuit, not sure if you've got your seamstress working on it yet, but I would actually use the other bodysuit pattern you used and not the Yaya Han one! The regular McCall's bodysuit pattern offers a completely blank slate to add the thigh panels, piping, and triangle easily enough. The Yaya pattern just has too many unnecessary seams that would need to be eliminated to make it approvable. But the fabric you chose is perfect, same stuff I used for mine as well!

I've been so busy catching up with work, that I haven't kept up with the forums as well as I would have wanted!

Edited by Aglarwen

I received the scratch 3-D files for the back piece and the Cape clasps from my commission aartist. What do you think?cffe4f715ea378827a27b25a0822d6a3.jpg0e5bb19a687662ae3927eef6e5828ecd.jpg609491c6e327685a3a200f482fdb324f.jpge66ece3d70a478d75b0c3e0eb7ef846f.jpg

I bought these today. I think they'll work

6c894b60b04c47282a42fb942c5821dc.jpg

Also bought this linens shower curtain to see if it will work for the Cape. Much cheaper than raw silk.

1b292699120a59c33105ceef3fb45534.jpgaea3d7c54606c417df81aa756fe3e861.jpg

Thoughts?

hi do you have the name of the goggles from amazon? my girlfriend and me are trying to put this costume together for her also. thank you so much

@eliste  Could you be more specific as to what would need to be changed on the back piece? I'd like tp pass the info on to my artist so he can adjust it.

So the three cuts in are there, but then the layer underneath that also has the cuts in? I've never seen one that looks like that. I have always been of the opinion that both layers were round, but that the top layer cut in for the three lines/details. Does that make sense?

Also, the lines cut in the top layer aren't lining up right. They should all cut in so that they line up, nearly the same length cut in. I would extend the bottom two to line up with the top one.

Also the holes are so far in that your straps are going to not sit flush to the ends and stick out. I'd definitely move the holes towards the end.

It may be based on a different piece of art, but if that's the case, I think you should get your hands on that art cause right now, to me, it just doesn't look right.

Also, it may just be me, but I've never liked the really flat bottom version people have 3D printed. I feel like it should wrap the leather into the piece, not just sit on top. If you're getting them to alter this, you could easily thicken the bottom, and get slits where you could sit the leather into it, but this is my personal preference and not something you'd have to change for approval imo.

Ok, thanks. I sent your comments to my artist. Would you happen to have a pic of your piece for reference? I may have sent him an inaccurate image that I found that was supposed to have ben accurate.

Don't copy other people's work, cause you'll end up with other people's errors. Always work from original source material.

I'm intrigued what you worked from and where it came from.

I think the one Pam has on her site is one of the easiest to see and is really clear. http://chucrew.com/Mara/shoulderharness.html

Thanks for the feedback. I checked out the site and I also forwarded it to my artist. Hopefully he will be able to make adjustments from your input and from the images on the site you send me.

This looks infinitely better to me. I didn't do the center as two layers, but I can see how it would fit in with references that way. I think this is the best 3D print version I've seen, at least in design.

I will caution you, I found out the hard way I'd forgotten to factor in the top exit for the harness would have twice the thickness of leather coming out. I just cut out the under loop and attached it all without that, but you might be able to figure out a better solution than I did.

b4f5f6adfaf987dc8e9c6be6d370a731.jpg

I ordered different fabric for the Cape. After doing some research of images online, I wasn't 100% set on the chocolate brown color that I had previously purchased. I think this color is a little bit better. Opinions?