Jen'jidai

• 501st Members
  • 1 posts
  • TKID:
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    Georgia Garrison
  • Squad:Arma Candida

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

Hey. I'm working on a Darth Nihilus at the Moment. It is the first Costume I want to do all by myself at least when it comes to the sewing. One Question: In the CRL it says" the same black Material". Does this mean the whole Costume is made of the same Material (except the arms)?

I wanted to use different black fabric for the outer and the inner layers of the tunics and the Skirts:

Inner Tunic and Skirt: Black cotton

Outer Tunic, Cape, Obi and Skirt: Heavy, black linen.

This is because of the weight of the fabric and the comfort of the whole costume... Do you think it'll work? You won't be able to tell from the color of the material. Only if you touch it... What do you think?

Edited by Janem, 18 March 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#2 Yankee71

Yankee71

Detachment XO

• Detachment Officers
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRegensburg Germany
  • TKID:
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    German Garrison
  • Squad:Custodes Euroi Squad

• SPECIAL RANKS:
    FORUM CONTRIBUTOR

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

Servus

It has to look the same is the main point.  

The weave of the material needs to be the same.  The color black needs to match exactly.

No one is going to touch the material, so that is not the issue.

The problem that may occur over time, by trooping and/or washing, is that one material may fade differently than the other.  So it could look correct when it is newly made, but after several troops the two different types of material could start looking like 2 different shades of black.

Edited by Yankee71, 18 March 2017 - 05:53 PM.

Chris_Banner.jpg

Satya C. Bailey

SL - 11671 - Starkiller (hoth)

DZ - 11671 - Malakili (Rancor Keeper)

DZ - 11671 - Jawa

The Flagship Eclipse Detachment XO 2017-

#3 kracker98

kracker98

CRL Team

• Detachment Officers
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • TKID:
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    Central Garrison
  • Squad:Minnesota Wolf Pack

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

In my opinion if it says it should be the same material, then it should be the same material.  My Nihilus is made out of raw black silk for every layer, except the arms, and I don't think that it's that heavy or uncomfortable.  You're wearing all black so heat wise it's going to be hot no matter what.

Blane Pierson
SL 17878
Darth Nihilus

The Flagship Eclipse - CRL Team

#4 Yankee71

Yankee71

Detachment XO

• Detachment Officers
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRegensburg Germany
  • TKID:
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    German Garrison
  • Squad:Custodes Euroi Squad

• SPECIAL RANKS:
    FORUM CONTRIBUTOR

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

In my opinion if it says it should be the same material, then it should be the same material.  My Nihilus is made out of raw black silk for every layer, except the arms, and I don't think that it's that heavy or uncomfortable.  You're wearing all black so heat wise it's going to be hot no matter what.

Well yes you are correct, if it says same material, it should be the same material.

I was just explaining the reasoning behind the same material, and how different materials could then cause a problem later on.

Nils,

Instead of using 2 different materials, you may want to consider using a different material altogether, that other Nihilus have chosen to use in their builds, so its the same material and you don't run into problems later.

I will send you a PM on the GG forums about another GG member who has made this costume and did it all herself, she can probably give you some tips and let you know what materials she used in her Nihilus.  Or you could also consider the raw black silk Kracker98 has mentioned above.

Chris_Banner.jpg

Satya C. Bailey

SL - 11671 - Starkiller (hoth)

DZ - 11671 - Malakili (Rancor Keeper)

DZ - 11671 - Jawa

The Flagship Eclipse Detachment XO 2017-

#5 TS-8642

TS-8642

Acolyte

• 501st Members
  • 10 posts
  • TKID:
  • Garrison / Outpost:
    German Garrison
  • Squad:White Shadows Squad

Posted Yesterday, 01:49 AM

Hi fellow Garrison mates!

Everyone doing a Nihilus atm. :D

Why mixing two fabrics? I am using one type of silk for all parts, except the arms.