• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus in progress (KOTOR)

JediMasterMark

Hey everyone! I'm Mark, part of Garrison Cardia (SL-9640) and the Rebel Legion as 'JediMasterMark'. With the release of Nihilus in Galaxy of Heroes, I remembered how cool this character was so I've decided to add him to my costume library.

I'm working on the KOTOR version.

First off the materials. I've got this wonderful soft cotton black material. Here's a shot of it on the roll and then against my pasty pale self. (I was using this for my Palatine build but I'm nudging that aside for the moment).

IMG_1103.jpgIMG_1104.jpg

It's wonderfully soft and hopefully works as 'opaque' enough, as I can't see through it. In reading here, I see where the material has wiggle room because of lack of texture in KOTOR's age. 

So with this (I can never slow down), I started working. I made a standard tunic from the Simplicity 5840.

Then I created the skirt with 4 yards of this material (time to head back for another roll of it before continuing on) and following the tutorial on Pam's page, made a circular loop on the top for a belt. Here's the mock-up on the mannequin:

FullSizeRender%201.jpg

Gathered enough?

Once done, I put it on with my boots (my wife said I looked like such a pretty princess) and had her pin the location of the sole of the shoe so I can hem it.

IMG_1481.jpg

Finally, measured out in equal lengths to get the right height overall (I'm quite tall). I'm thinking once cut and hemmed, I'll stitch up the back to about 6" from the buckle and then just step into it like you might a hakama.

IMG_1483.jpg

Next question: The mask. While I could go the route of sculpting or even molding foam, plasti-dip, etc. I'm really thinking about just buying one. I have a great quality resin Sith Acolyte from XCoser, what do you guys think of their offering? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading and feedback!!!

First off welcome to the forums and good luck with your build.  I was probably more excited than I should have been when I saw Nihilus coming to Galaxy of Heroes.  To me the fabric looks like it should work good, however it sounds like there might be some confusion as to which version you are making.

The guide that Pam made for Nihilus is based off of the COTF version not KOTOR II.  While I can't tell if you have a slit up the middle of the skirt, just so you know the KOTOR version doesn't have that.  Also the tunic for the KOTOR version is not a cross over style tunic.

Finally the mask that you linked is not correct.  

If you have any other question please feel free to ask.

To be a little more specific, the XCOSER mask isn't right or really even close to being right. It's got a strange orange tint to it and is just far to big.

There are several alternatives out there that are clearable. I'm not sure on the rules of mentioning vendor names here so I wont post any until I'm told it's ok.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback! I'm going to go with Pam, is think her mask design is pretty well founded. ;)

Now on for more progress pics, taking advice from above.

76ca6a2f5e7e31cb373ff9720d624ed8.jpg

Here's where I cut the belt (and confirmed 4cm, so I've got it at 5 to allow one centimeter of seam allowance. And the thick batting will create the 'armor' for the chest.

6ed40f6720f46eea89f8ae78bb9d583e.jpg

Used one of my long sleeve shirts as a template (hint to anyone doing this, make sure your shirt isn't 'stretchy knit' unless your fabric for Nihilus is as well).

5964a47ca3b576303778b3d333e32ef7.jpg

Got the material cut out with a generous seam allowance.

ccc69da6b3fe1549c8746e5a7e0d2105.jpg

And here's another angle to show the armor piece separated from the body of the sleeveless outer tunic.

Look okay so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my personal opinion, and the way the new CRL will be written, will not allow for the masks to be interchangeable.  Meaning that the style of mask that Pam makes should not be used with the KOTOR II style of Nihilus.

Hey there! Okay I'm circling back to this costume after taking some time to build another. I did a paper mock up of the mask and then did this out of foam for stage one. Thoughts? Changes I should make?

c1886ed3988b0c00033a52c7036fa062.jpg59282a5049656a15497df82c8d9f1229.jpg

Hi Mate, 

Just looking over your mask layout - It's a little off in my opinion, let me pop mine up for some help with reference. And you will have to ignore the cowl, i was having a bad cowl day lol

rnmotmB.jpg

PSI9EVq.jpg

It is difficult to base it off what you have, but at the point you are at, it seems like it would be a nice flush mask as it should be for KOTOR II style. I would have to see more details to say for sure, but I suppose you could take it as a good start with cleaned up edges.

Just keep in mind that as you are building it, the original design by Chris Avellone that was drawn by Dustin Weaver was very, very flat against the face. There are not even cheek features outside of the rounding to match the face (bone structure is specific to COTF Nihilus). Here's the screenshot showing what I mean:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Circling back! Okay, this sounds good. I've got a few leads, including a 3D printable version from Thiniverse that I'm having a friend print out for me. It's more the 'smooth' version like you're seeing in KOTOR and on the reference photos in this forum. 

I think I'm going to re-work the chest piece. I'll make it 'open' in the back for putting it on,closing with Velcro, and then attach the cape to the front chest where it meets the armor as shown here. Just need to work closely on the gathers of material there and fitting my 6' 2" frame, lol. 

So I’ve got the fabric measured for the cloak and hemmed it down by the heel. I’ve got to work up the neck so I’ve grabbed some of the $1/yard cloth and cut a swath of it. From this I measured the same length to the nape of my neck and estimated a 5” opening across the chest. This means the gathers will sit from there diagonally out to the shoulder. Now I’ll practice putting it together and folding it. Then I think I’ll roll the joining hem in another piece when it’s attached like the way the Jedi hood attaches to the body of the robe. That should come out looking like the screenshots.

8aad31635643d3caffdf2b00c9b28246.jpg