• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My wifes Mara

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey folks,

Scott M., Mountain Garrison XO here, and I have my wife looking to join the 501st. She has an ISO outfit, but wants to actually join the 501st, and needed something without a helmet.

So, we are doing the Mara,

Mara1.jpg

Mara2.jpg

The holster was about 90% done here, and still needed the sling strap connected and a little more leather tanning to do.

I obviously don't have the jumpsuit done yet, but I have the pattern and the 4 way stretch PVC material. I am also making her shin guards as a combination of a few parts. Have the clasp, and need to pick up the cape material. here are a few pics of my WIP. Still have a ways to go, but a good start I think. Certainly open to any suggestions!!!!

Guest Daritha

Looks good so far! Does your wife also want to dye her hair? Or will she use a wig?

The Mara Jade Standards by Pam are a good source for details. When (still) working on my Starkiller her Standards made me look to details I never had seen so far. An additional pair of eyes could make a big difference. :D

JaylinDakaal's Mara Jade looks also pretty good so far. I'm sure she could give some good advice too. There is some good stuff in her thread, like this for the knee cap:

apparel-body-armor-knee-shin-guard-.jpg

Apart from that: The jumpsuit of your wife looks good so far but wouldn't a latex- or PVC-Jumpsuit look much better? (On the other hand it would be very sweaty.) I'm not sure about the material but the sources I've Mara seen in this outfit ever suggested to me that it was latex or some comparable material.

The "backpack" and the belts could be a little mor tighter around her body but that's no big deal. For sure, I think you've made a good start for the costume.

PS: I like the first pic. With the clock it looks like she just jumped out of the Delorian in our time with her futuristic garment. ^^

Guest Anonymous

The "suit" she is wearing is just an under suit. I have the 4 way stretch PVC, just have not had the courage to sew it yet. I actually went with some hockey shin guards and I am modding them to have the vents like the Real Life photo shoots Shannon did. They will actually be a compilation of two different sets of shin guards, since the old Police versions are no longer available.

She wants to dye her hair, so she will be growing it out some. She found the color she likes and the brand, just not 100% ready to pull the trigger until the kit is done.

I have Pam's site bookmarked and used many of her shots and instructions as a guide (like the holster process).

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully more to follow soon!!

Seeing your Cody and deployed MEPD status, I am going to challenge you to create the canon leg armour for Mara.

Rather than glorifying the costume Decipher outfitted model Shannon McRandle with the title "real life", I see it as "good enough" for its intended licensed use and budget; a 2" x 1.5" panel on a collectible trading card.

normal_shannon_0002.jpg

Including Pam's, I have seen four separate builds for this armour, all very well done. Maybe the hockey skin guards will do for now, but an accurate reconstruction would laudable;

Boots.jpg

Anna's canon-matching boot amour.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Daritha

Aw, how I could forget Pam's Mara?! Could threw myself in the sewer for this. The most obvious people wo could help in such cases you always forget, stupid boy. :oops:

Here are some very helpful advices for Mara and a good shot of her leg armor. Really nice and well done. Read the whole Mara page. Pretty good stuff there.

TwoMaras2.jpg

Guest Anonymous
Seeing your Cody and deployed MEPD status, I am going to challenge you to create the canon leg armour for Mara.

Be well,

Thomas

Wow, nothing like calling a guy out!!! :lol:

I think we will probably start with a modded shin to closely match the decipher pic, but I think when I do the cannon set, I will do these:

AttachedKnees.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Guest Anonymous

OK folks I need a little help. After deciding I am doing these shins for my wife's Mara, I really need a few more pics like this one:

AttachedKnees.jpg

So, anyone tell me what comic this pic was taken from? I looked through about three Star Wars Tales comics last night, and while many of the pics in the image library for Mara I found there, the above pic was not among them. I have my TK shins and sniper plates as a starting point, so I just need a few more pics to make it a reality!!!

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

It's been a while since I've read the comics, and most of mine are packed away, but I believe that image is either from The Last Command graphic novel, or The Emperor's Hand Series.

But I could be wrong. ;)

Yup, it's from The Last Command graphic novel :)

There are jus a few pics on which you can see some details of these shinguards. You may also see Mara wearing them in two other parts of the Zahn's comic trilogy, but they are quite different and I think these in tLC series are most easy to do... Here you have some pics that I've found. It's a pity but there's no better refs in this comic book :(

Wish you good luck - it's always good to see piece of work like that instead of bought hockey shinguards or sth like that ;)

th_1_1.jpg

th_2_1.jpg

th_3_1.jpg

th_4_1.jpg

th_5_1.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Outstanding, thank you!!!

I am off the tot he Comic book store now.

My only issue is now I many need to redo the belt!!!

I hate being anal and OCD when it comes to costumes, but........

I will update as soon as I can get some references to work off of.

Scott

Guest Anonymous

I know it has been a while, but we are getting close. I was very intimidated with the actual jumpsuit, so we found someone in the church who is a seamstress. She does a pretty good job, don't you think?

Please excuse the low quality photo, I used my Blackberry to take this shot!

Mara.jpg

We are hoping to go look for cape material soon, and I got some skateboard knee pads I am hoping to use for the rest of the shins/knees.

Also need to adjust the belt, but that is pretty easy to get done. She also got a wig, so very soon we will have another Sith Lord in our ranks!!

Guest Anonymous

I know it has been a while, but we found out a few weeks ago Melissa's brain tumor is back, and she started chemo 10 days ago. It has been a wild three weeks, and we decided this NEEDED to get done.

We submitted her application today, and just sent in her submission pics to the local GML, and told him he will need to touch base with Thomas (fingers crossed).

Here is a selection from the pics we took today:

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

I think we covered all the needed elements, and the grieves really kicked my butt, and I am still not sure I am 100% happy with them. The cool thing is they are unique, and I am pretty sure no other Mara has these yet!!!

Feel free to post up any comments, suggestions, critiques and issues you see.

Nicely done! The hair is a bit fuller than Mara's tends to be, but that's the price of battling a wig. (They usually win when I battle them... I'm no good at styling my own hair, much less a wig!) It might help to comb it down to have a bit less volume.

I think you've got all of the needed elements for the costume, and I believe you are the first to make the connected knee/shin guards style from the comics. That had to be difficult to figure out! The belt and holster look great, I'm very pleased with them. One trick I've been using is to put a matching leather pouch on the back of my belt. I slide it to the middle to hide the buckle on the occasions when my cape doesn't hide it, and it gives me a place to store my camera and goodies during events!

Pam :-)

Guest Daritha

Pam, maybe we could declare this the Mara 70s style. ^^ Yeah, the hair's a bit "fluffy" but that's a simple task to master. The costume itself looks really good to me. I'm not a Mara expert but I suppose you can make the approval. I don't see any mishaps on the costume. It's so (Firefly) shiny. :wink:

Wish you good luck with the chemo.

Guest Anonymous
Nicely done! The hair is a bit fuller than Mara's tends to be, but that's the price of battling a wig. (They usually win when I battle them... I'm no good at styling my own hair, much less a wig!) It might help to comb it down to have a bit less volume.

I think you've got all of the needed elements for the costume, and I believe you are the first to make the connected knee/shin guards style from the comics. That had to be difficult to figure out! The belt and holster look great, I'm very pleased with them. One trick I've been using is to put a matching leather pouch on the back of my belt. I slide it to the middle to hide the buckle on the occasions when my cape doesn't hide it, and it gives me a place to store my camera and goodies during events!

Yes on the hair, we noticed the same thing looking at the pics. Gonna go visit the wig stylist and see what we can do.

Great idea on the buckle. My brand new GML send a message back making the exact same observation. Will work on that and get it added. I know Thomas is the ultimate source for the OK, so do you think we need to get those things corrected before we will see an approval? Have no problem with it, just need to know if I should get my leather out tonight.

Guest Anonymous

So we got the hair fixed (well,. more like we were taught how to fix it) and took a few more pics. I totally feel this is MUCH better:

DSC_0012.jpg

We also added a pouch to hide the back buckle:

DSC_0013.jpg

Guest Anonymous
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

You're right... that is MUCH better! Very nicely done.

Thanks. Melissa will be thrilled to hear you say that.

Now just gotta wait for the official word, then the festivities will commence.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions, and feedback from all. Sure made it worth the process.

The hair does look much better. 'grats!

Was there anything in particular that helped to tame the mane (would be helpful to a girl wearing wigs more often since choosing the bald look).

Thanks.

Guest Anonymous
The hair does look much better. 'grats!

Was there anything in particular that helped to tame the mane (would be helpful to a girl wearing wigs more often since choosing the bald look).

Thanks.

Two things actually:

1) She put it in the back of her truck on the way to the hairdresser, and it fell on the floor and rolled around!!

2) We just set it on the head stand and pressed the hair down.

Sounds odd, but worked really well.

Guest Anonymous

So I am finally getting on the boards (at significant pushing by my husband)!!

I have been able to troop several times in my Mara, and I really enjoy it!!

Thankfully, my husband loves to do these armor kits, and I get to benefit from!!!

Guest Anonymous

Including Pam's, I have seen four separate builds for this armour, all very well done. Maybe the hockey skin guards will do for now, but an accurate reconstruction would laudable;

Boots.jpg

Anna's canon-matching boot amour.

Be well,

Thomas

What is this for a factory ? (jumpsuit)