• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Fabric choices - COTF Nihilus

Ithillion

Hi all

Just getting started on Nihilus as my first attempt at an approved costume. It's likely to be a longer term project to get approved, but I'm hoping to wear it as a cosplay at Celebration in April.

A friend of mine is a keen dressmaker and when I mentioned this to her, she was interested in making the robes and doing some weathering so we're going to make the COTF version. We've done some research and spent some time with the CRL, and it's not quite clear how the texture of the fabric should be. The sleeves need to be smoother, but how rough can the rest be?

We got a few swatches from local stores and did find a very rough finished, loose weave fabric that I think could look very good, but wanted to check that it will fit in standards before buying anything. Here are a few swatches, with the roughest on the right. It certainly looks like it will weather very nicely.

post-1982-0-46716400-1483185341_thumb.jpg

I've got a thread running in my local garrison page, but posting here has been the best suggestion for getting the fabric question sorted.

Thanks

Jon

Hi sorry for having missed this one  :-(

I wouldn´t use any of those fabrics on your picture - I used a heavy jersey fabric, others use raw silk to get the right flow in the fabric.

You need to remember, that this costume is made out of several layers, and you need something that is breathable but yet looks right - try and take a look at the other WIP threads in here and see, how others looks like.