• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Rising Moon's Lumiya WIP

Rising Moon

I'm excited to have found a costume to submit for the 501st, and that costume is Lumiya. 

She is an extremely inconsistently drawn character, so I've had to do some piecing together and looking at what is most common. In the end I decided I'll be using the following images as a reference:

Headscarf:

2lqqIdY.jpg

Body piece:

Fg7u0M0.jpg

​Chest armor:

PTZXa2W.jpg

Cape:

RFrIaFq.jpg

Belt / Gloves / Boots:

fTQzEPw.jpg

Chest piece:

dWyj6Zm.jpg

This is a very quick write-up of what I've come up with so far:

Headscarf: dark charcoal grey. In the comics, it's always almost drawn with multiple creases and folds which leads me to believe it is a very lightweight, breathable fabric. Another reason I believe that is because, in my reference image, you can clearly see the outline of her nose. 

Body suit: black. Very skin tight. Lumiya trains with Vader and I think her costume mimics his in many ways. Because of this relationship, I believe her body suit to be made of leather or leather-like material. To achieve the design on the body suit, I will be hand painting it with silver circuitry.

Right arm: covered in armor from the elbow up.

Boots: Metallic silver. They come up just above the knee on the inside, and extend on the outside all the way up to her waist.

Gloves: Same material and color as boots. They come up just above the elbow on the inside, and about 1/3 of the way up the bicep on the outside. 

Armor: Silver. Goes across chest diagonally from left shoulder to chest level on the right side. She also wears armor beneath her head piece, I haven't written up anything about that yet.

Belt: Silver rectangle in the center. Inward pointing triangles to either side, followed by spaced squares around the remainder of the belt.

Cape: Black. When she is shown with her cape, it is generally very messy, loose, tattered and frayed. I'm thinking of maybe using a chiffon fabric to achieve that effect.

Thank you, I should hopefully have some pictures to post tomorrow!

And yes, I will definitely have a chest box. I know that it's a vertical rectangle, but I haven't quite figured out which design it follows. I'm still combing through reference photos to try and see which is most common. :)

• Like 1

So in total I think I've probably spent five to six hours researching and planing Lumiya. I believe this chestbox to be the correct one, as opposed to the more Vader-esque one.

sPQIKlA.jpg

I say that only because it showed up in one more source than the other one did. I'd like to hear other comments about this though, so I'll be saving it for last.

• Like 1

Started on the 'circuitry' today:

hzp0MSl.jpg

This all has to be done by hand so it's time consuming. I think the end result will be worth it though.

Total time so far, about nine hours including all of the research.

Circuitry looks good so far. As far as the chest box goes, I'd be more inclined to go with the version in the last picture you posted, just because it is the most clearly defined, unless you have better pictures of the version you sketched.

Finished circuitry on the front!

I'm going to sew the rest of the costume before I complete the circuitry on the remainder so that it all connects properly over the seams. Unfortunately I don't have a picture right now.

Apologies for the lack of recent updates, I ended up unexpectedly selling a horse that I was training so I had to make sure everything went smoothly with that.

This was version one on of the costume's circuitry after its completion:

U1y2B7Z.jpg

I really liked the effect overall but thought that it could have been executed better, so I'm currently redoing the circuitry from scratch.

• Like 1

Sorry that these are upside down, I'm not sure how to fix it on my phone so I'll have to wait until I have a chance to use my laptop.

I first made the armor out of fabric to form it to my body, but I don't have pictures of that because it was just ugly scrap fabrics. But here is my official unpainted armor, version 2.

Armor front:

78VrjSv.jpg

Back (uncut)

y6ZzfjJ.jpg

I know this thread is a few months old, but do you have any more updates - especially as far as the armor build for Lumiya?  I'll admit the task is daunting, but I'm looking forward to beginning my journey to plan her out this year.  The armor pieces are the scariest parts for me because I've never worked with foam before, but the Dark Lady of the Sith is worth it.