• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Vaylin - SWTOR

Aglarwen

So I've been planning to make Vaylin from the Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion for Celebration next year. She's such a badass, so snarky. I thought the natural choice was to attempt to get her approved for the 501st.

607f0610a833bb11245843d94cd3d88e.png

Now I've found a lot of decent screenshots from the game that show off a couple angles of her costume.

7bd85ad40b9ff0941181645f88690cea.jpg

Side view with a great shot of the glove design.

2c2cbb58a0972cc6b0f36eb4e01a2afd.png

The side of her leg.

1610ccf7450113450b89baaf70644b97.jpg

And the full view of her cape.

The only issue with her wearing a cape is that she's never been seen without the cape on, so it's been hard to find what the full shirt looks like. And the Vaylin inspired armor that you can buy for your character is very different from her costume in several details, so a 3D model of the costume isn't readily available. The best I've been able to do is find a couple angles that kind of show what the shirt might look like.

79a2226dedf4c089d9434d108da8b693.jpg

f87c40599b58c33d367730c52a31bc1b.jpg

9f90250b9b8439d057bfcdcbd847beca.jpg

From these shots, I can only assume that the shoulders and back are also black like the center panel of her shirt, and the grey only exists on the sides.

In general, I've been going back and forth on materials to use for the costume. It seems like she has a mix between solid armor pieces and fabric pieces. I'd make the solid armor bits out of worbla because I'm most comfortable with using that material. As for the fabric bits, that's a little more complicated. Seeing as how this is a video game character, the kind of fabrics she's wearing aren't as obvious. For the couple parts where the fabric is ribbed, I kind of like the idea of using a 4 way stretch ribbed faux leather like some are using for the new Death Trooper in Rogue One. I want to do most of it in a linen because I'm more comfortable with using that kind of fabric, but I'm worried about how it would look doing a mix of faux leather and linen. My other option would be to use all linen and use quilt batting and sew in the ribbing myself on some of the linen. It's much more labor intensive, but I feel like it'll look much better. If linens will look a little too worn in, a suiting fabric like for the officer suits could be another good option.

What do you all think? Do I have a good amount of reference images, or do I need to find more? Do you think I'm on the right track with construction of the costume? Any input you guys can offer would be fantastic! Thanks!

Edited by Aglarwen

Good evening,

To me, this appears to be a challenging build. The armour will require sanding and finishing to work. The fabric has the appearance of leather or leather-like material.

The references you have gathered are a great resource. But were it I, more would be needed. Mostly concerned with the back of the leg armour and perhaps the look of the bodice under the cape. 

Speaking of that intriguing cape, it looks like the designers adorned it with an alphabet new to the SW Universe; Runes
Dr%25C3%25B8mte%2Bmig%2Ben%2Bdr%25C3%25B

For as tight as the detail is, you might be able to flub the exact characters. However, I encourage you to reach out to the game designers. A file must exist somewhere and those in the industry are often very interested in helping out a dedicated costumer.

Please be sure to update this thread as you build.

Be well.

• Like 1

It does appear that the back would be all black, however without any references of her without the cape it is difficult to tell what the back looks like. I would say go for it, it would be an awesome addition to TFE, I'm sure we would help out in any way we can. Thomas has a great suggestion on reaching out to the game designers.

Edited by danrodjr

Good evening,

To me, this appears to be a challenging build. The armour will require sanding and finishing to work. The fabric has the appearance of leather or leather-like material.

The references you have gathered are a great resource. But were it I, more would be needed. Mostly concerned with the back of the leg armour and perhaps the look of the bodice under the cape. 

Speaking of that intriguing cape, it looks like the designers adorned it with an alphabet new to the SW Universe; Runes

Dr%25C3%25B8mte%2Bmig%2Ben%2Bdr%25C3%25B

For as tight as the detail is, you might be able to flub the exact characters. However, I encourage you to reach out to the game designers. A file must exist somewhere and those in the industry are often very interested in helping out a dedicated costumer.

Please be sure to update this thread as you build.

Be well.

I thought those looked suspiciously like runes! I'm a stickler for details, and would love to get them as accurate as I can lol.

Reaching out to the game designers was definitely on my list of things to do. I'm going to shoot them an email later today. Hopefully I'll find some luck!

After much research and determination I have discovered the answer you seek, the back of her top is all black.

30507023224_ec04fb8d13.jpg

You can see as she makes her move, the cape hangs off her back to her right revealing the back of her top. 

AH THIS IS FANTASTIC! Thank you so much! Seems like there are side seams on the back piece, like I had thought. But I won't make any certain decisions until I hear back from the game designers.

Edited by Aglarwen
  • Like 1

Sadly, Vaylin had to take a seat on the backburner. Christmas season at work got insanely busy. But now, I'm sewing full time, so I'm able to put more focus on Vaylin. And this 3D model is EXACTLY what I was hoping for! Thanks a bunch for sharing it! I'm looking at putting more focus into this again soon (yay tax return), so I will share when I start putting some work into it!

I'm also working on Vaylin! 

For her pants, I'm doing "space dye" athletic fabric. For the charcoal-gray-black fabric parts of the costume, I'm not sure. Some promo images have it look like a cotton jersey knit based on the drape and finish. But others have the fabric with a bit of a sheen to it, like leather. Maybe a coated denim would work best, or a light faux-leather? 

I'm still kinda going back and forth on those parts of the costume. I found a ribbed stretch vinyl I was going to use for the pants and the part on her sleeves, but I still wasn't sure whether to make the rest of it vinyl or do something else. I think denim would be a bit too heavy though. 

Can you link me to the stretch vinyl? 

I was kind of thinking of just getting a cotton knit and wax-coating it myself, so it drapes more like cotton but has the sheen of a leather-look fabric. 

http://www.moodfabrics.com/black-rib-quilted-stretch-faux-leather-111296.html

That's the ribbed stuff. I've been waiting for it to get back in stock, but no such luck yet. My next option would be to sew the lines in myself into stretch neoprene or with quilt batting like I did with Mara only at the exposed ribbed parts.

The wax coating is a good idea. This costume definitely needs to have a sheen to it! Only thing I would keep in mind is that you might lose some stretch when you wax it. Unless you make it with knit that doesn't have any stretch and install a hidden zipper somewhere.

I've been brainstorming ideas yesterday, and I definitely think I'm going to do the main pieces out of stretch vinyl, and wax coat linen for the capes and hood. Vinyl won't drape right as a cape, sadly. Next challenge is sourcing the right colors!

A friend actually found the fabric when trying to find ribbed fabric for the death trooper and tank trooper from Rogue One. They ended up not using it, but for Vaylin it would be absolutely perfect. If only it would come back in stock soon....  :angry:

Eeeeeexactly! We'll just need to bide our time and do other stuff in the meantime. There's just so many details in this costume!

I'm going to get my mockup sewn together and sketched out today for the soft parts. That'll serve as my pattern pieces when I acquire my fabric next week! Excitement!

Yes and no. I'm splicing together a couple patterns to sew together my mockup. Then I'll be able to draw out seam lines and cut the actual pattern pieces out I'll use on my fabric. So ultimately, it's going to look nothing like my base pattern lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Been looking for contact lenses. I don't have a huge budget to spend on color prescription lenses. I usually order from HoneyColor. I found these lenses on there that might work out. Thoughts?

https://www.honeycolor.com/yellow-twilight-crazy-lens

Yes, they do say twilight, don't judge  :wink:

Also found these that actually have the yellow and red coloration in them. Still a bit on the high end when I enter my prescription, but would these be better? I haven't ordered from them before, so I don't know how recommended they come, but its better than $200 lol

http://store.fxcontactlenses.org/fire-eye-gothika-fx-lens-rx/

Edited by Aglarwen

Yeah, I noticed that too. The ones in the first link seem to have a very, very slight bit of red hue on the outside. I just worry that they're too yellow, and not enough red.

I found yellow/red combo contacts on Honeycolor, too, but no prescription options. Sad days. I'm blind as a bat and can't go without prescription something on....