• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Vicky's Mara Jade Build for Help/Support from the Flagship - Redback Garrison (AUS)

VickyVic

Hey Guys and Gals

May have just started out but I am determined to get my second approved costume that isn't a super hero; first one being my TB. Star Wars was my first love thanks to my father and the Extended Universe is probably a fav part of it.

I am aiming to get this version of Mara completed. I will Track Down more clearer photos and references. This is just one I have found of the many

194.jpgwp679637fd.jpg

I will be sewing my own suit at this point as I am an avid seamstress and I specialize in stretch/lycra from my superhero costumes I have completed. I have a pattern by GSTQ Fashions that I used for a Rogue body suit.

Anywho. Just some ideas I am throwing about. If anyone has some great ideas on black plain, low healed boots let me know.

- Vicky (Aka. Chelsea)

PS. I am freaking excited to get started. Did I mention that?

• Like 2

REPOSTING THIS as some of the Links are dead and I have updated some of the information to my research!! Which is exciting! 

Mara I Plan on Completing

194.jpgwp679637fd.jpg
mara_jade_skywalker_by_wraithdt.jpg
PS. Yes I am aware the last one is a Fan Art! But it is a nice reference to have with the arm bands.....  aaaah.gif 

Wig 
**Updated** I am looking at a Wig Is Fashion in Pumpkin as the wig go choice! I am pretty excited as it is pretty much perfect for the job! 
tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo2_r1_400.jpg

Body Suit time! 
Planning on modifying this pattern that I have. It is a GSTQ Fashions pattern for Kotobukiya Rogue. The centre panel is a bit wide over the hips and needs to be brought in a bit more to allow for the diamond over the abdomen to sit on the pattern as pictured in the CRL. The pattern works very well. Adding the piping I will make to this will be the challenge; as will the diamond. Dropping the collar will also need to happen. The back of the suit also will have the piping along the centre panel. 

tumblr_omzvvddg0s1r44qwfo1_1280.jpg
Shout out to Shutter for the photo!

Material I plan on using with be from Cosplay Fabrics  https://www.cosplayfabrics.com run by Yaya Han! It is the 4way Ultrapreme . Which is sold out at the moment, but that is okay. I am fine with that. Need to fine tune the pattern.

Cowl and Gloves
This is something I am not very good at making. I am looking at a cotton like material that will match the off white gloves I am going to be using for this Mara. 
Pattern will be the main issue. I may seek help from someone with experience inside the Garrison for this. 

Boots!
**Updated** Found some wicked back boots from Horseland on recommendation from a 501st member in Australia! They come in a wide calf to make things a bit easier too! 
tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo3_r2_1280.png

Shinpads and Kneepads.....
I am in discussions with the GML about this at the moment as there is always much contention about this even on the Flagship Eclipse. There are so many different combinations that are used. I am wanting to make sure I get one that works or I hand cast and mould a set that are accurate to the T.
From my hockey days I have noted some shin pads I want to use and the knee pads are ones I used when I skated as a kid. They come in adult sizing. Amazon is a life saver some days. Will post photos and info when I have run it all by the GML

Leather Work
Mac-Lace in Capalaba is where I will be heading on suggestion of Tachyon and Seantrooper as it is more accessible to me in South Brisbane. Belt and buckle for the belt will match in size as per CRL requirements. I managed to score a Harness and Belt from a USA 501st member to make things better!

Arm cuffs will also be a feature for my Mara. Also matching leather and width of 1.5cm. Snaps will be used to allow removal and applications.

Square-Nosed Holdout Blaster and Back Plate for Harness
***Updated** I have learned that this 3D print was not sanctioned by the 501st member whom originally designed her gun and have removed the tagged name and link to this item! I would recommend looking up Twi'Lek Pam on ETSY and buying her cast of the gun! I feel terrible I brought this copy of her work. So I will be sending all people to her store from now on!!
tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo5_r1_1280.png

Goggles
Ebay has a list and host of goggles. None of which have the brown rimming to match the reference pictures I am using. But that is okay. A bit of leather paint on the leather and the rims and she be right. Planning on using an item similar to these
tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo1_r1_500.jpg

Lightsaber
It is not a requirement for Mara to be approved but it is something I want to have with me when I do. Jade Fire is the lightsaber that is based off Maras. It is through Sabreforge https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/Saberforge . Pricey but worth it. I do also have a Mace Windu for kidlets to hold if and when and ever this is approved. 
tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo6_r1_1280.png

Thanks for sticking for the rambling and stuff. You did it once before in 2015, welcome to the madness of 2016 and the fun of 2017 when I hopefully get this all done. I await for the GML to reply to me on a couple things and hopefully this will be the start of some awesome fun along side my TB.

-Chels

If you don't want to use the GSTQ pattern, or altering it too much, the Yaya Han bodysuit pattern worked great for me.

I went with Arda's pumpkin rather than fire orange, but I think fire orange would be fine.

There is a cowl pattern floating around if you look for it. It's essentially a wide tube with a slope.

Double check whether you can get away with the zipper in the boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by eliste

Haha, I am not a fan of that pattern to be honest. I have seen it modified and not modified. It is a nice pattern. Don't get me wrong, I have seen it ill fitting on a lot of costumers here in Australia. 

Already have a wig in the Fire Orange. Used it for Daphne Blake. Such a pretty colour. Love the colour that Pam used on the CRL. Matches nicely to the comics.

How did you go with the leg armour?

If you don't want to use the GSTQ pattern, or altering it too much, the Yaya Han bodysuit pattern worked great for me.

I went with Arda's pumpkin rather than fire orange, but I think fire orange would be fine.

There is a cowl pattern floating around if you look for it. It's essentially a wide tube with a slope.

Double check whether you can get away with the zipper in the boots.

Ahhhh okay. I wasn't sure if Worbla was allowed in the making process. I will check with my GML.

Would you still happen to have the pattern you used?

It's a pattern I made by covering my leg with tape and probably wouldn't be worth much to anyone else.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

I did some looking about and have finally decided on somethings

Ordered my Materials for the bodysuit. I ended up with Ultrapreme in Black from the YaYa Han collection! So pretty. Photos to come. It is a spendex with rubber top. Doesn't ripple. Like pleather but nicer.

Drafting my harness, bicep leathers and belts has commenced aswell!!

I also got the best Christmas Pressie! Saberforge Hilt of the Jade Fire. I will be working on my own electronics and blade for it!!!

cb37a91e4c625871913f9a0e4208b9a4.jpg

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So I started work on my Leather today!! Measured out my snub nosed blaster on some veg leather and started my soak to mold it!

aa401e556c4dffc647a67db307402154.jpg

5d47ca055b06910f73e86b0028601e09.jpg

a3004b046854d8e297e86887efb26cd7.jpg

Will have to stain it and my belts when I start those. This leather works best stained when it has its shape! Pretty excited to have started!

I just also sent my Jade Fire hilt back t9 saber forge for an upgrade with sounds and lights!!

Belt and Harness from an awesome 501st Member and Mara Jade in the USA! Much in love with and perfect fit! Tried on just before work! Pretty excited with progress!!

f2c717d8d64972cc47ea3663e9b6ccef.jpg

Blaster pouch was a huge success too! Just need to dye it!

ba0ae4b642b7fce7a501e8b9a526122f.jpg

Sanding back 3D print of blaster is going slowly. Caused a Repetitive stress injury to my right wrist

post-1281-14890032438153_thumb.jpg

Looking good so far!

The 4-way pleather from Yaya Han is a great choice for your suit! I used it for my own, and I adore it! Instead of using the Yaya bodysuit pattern, I used this one. It offers a completely blank slate to add the details to. 

https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7269

• Like 1

Hey Thanks Heaps.

I am trying out the pattern I have today! it is a God Save the Queen custom of Kotobukiya Bushido Rogue which I have modified to work for Mara! I am pretty excited to give it ago. I just finished the Cowl in White which I kinda winged for a pattern. Not too bad for me.

I will keep that pattern in mind if I can't get this one to work :D

What are your thoughts for the skin/knee pads? I think I am going to do what Eliste suggested and use worbla, I have had some simple practice with it but I may be able to base it off the TK armour my Boyfriend has to get the shape? We will see

Looking good so far!

The 4-way pleather from Yaya Han is a great choice for your suit! I used it for my own, and I adore it! Instead of using the Yaya bodysuit pattern, I used this one. It offers a completely blank slate to add the details to. 

https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7269

ey e

I ended up sketching out my own pattern for my cowl too, same thing for my gloves, so I feel ya there haha! Good luck on your suit!

If you want to do the comic book style shin and knee guards, worbla would definitely be my suggestion too, mostly because I've used it a ton and it's ridiculously easy to work with and very flexible. But for me, I personally preferred the Decipher style guards, which I ordered from my local army navy store. I just showed them a picture of what I wanted and they were more than happy to order the closest looking pair for me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wicked. I managed to find some off white gloves that will hopefully match my newly made cowl. If not, it was a good draft and I will remake it.

Hmmmm. I did look at that and was interested in doing the Decipher ones, but I am more a comic girl myself. So I guess worbla is the way to go

Some work on my suit too! The Yaya Han Materials (I chose Ultrapreme in black in the end) is so nice. My overlocker is checking though it with no issues. I hope I got it right after my patterned version, if not. More materials and Take 2  :))

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean! I'm using more of her stuff for celebration projects because it's just gorgeous! Send pictures when you get it done!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On the Worbla, I found it super easy, but not with the traditional craft foam. The sandwich method of worbla is great, but not as easy to get to work when you're actually going all around the leg. I had to revert to thick foam and just folding over the edges for my comic style shin guards cause otherwise it just wasn't happy. Maybe you'll have better luck than me, but I got 5mm foam which worked first time like a charm. The sandwich method literally just landed me a pile of wonky crap, sadly.

REPOSTING THIS as some of the Links are dead and I have updated some of the information to my research!! Which is exciting! 

Mara I Plan on Completing

194.jpgwp679637fd.jpg
mara_jade_skywalker_by_wraithdt.jpg
PS. Yes I am aware the last one is a Fan Art! But it is a nice reference to have with the arm bands.....  aaaah.gif 

Wig 
**Updated** I am looking at a Wig Is Fashion in Pumpkin as the wig go choice! I am pretty excited as it is pretty much perfect for the job! 
tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo2_r1_400.jpg

Body Suit time! 
Planning on modifying this pattern that I have. It is a GSTQ Fashions pattern for Kotobukiya Rogue. The centre panel is a bit wide over the hips and needs to be brought in a bit more to allow for the diamond over the abdomen to sit on the pattern as pictured in the CRL. The pattern works very well. Adding the piping I will make to this will be the challenge; as will the diamond. Dropping the collar will also need to happen. The back of the suit also will have the piping along the centre panel. 

tumblr_omzvvddg0s1r44qwfo1_1280.jpg
Shout out to Shutter for the photo!

Material I plan on using with be from Cosplay Fabrics  https://www.cosplayfabrics.com run by Yaya Han! It is the 4way Ultrapreme . Which is sold out at the moment, but that is okay. I am fine with that. Need to fine tune the pattern.

Cowl and Gloves
This is something I am not very good at making. I am looking at a cotton like material that will match the off white gloves I am going to be using for this Mara. 
Pattern will be the main issue. I may seek help from someone with experience inside the Garrison for this. 

Boots!
**Updated** Found some wicked back boots from Horseland on recommendation from a 501st member in Australia! They come in a wide calf to make things a bit easier too! 
tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo3_r2_1280.png

Shinpads and Kneepads.....
I am in discussions with the GML about this at the moment as there is always much contention about this even on the Flagship Eclipse. There are so many different combinations that are used. I am wanting to make sure I get one that works or I hand cast and mould a set that are accurate to the T.
From my hockey days I have noted some shin pads I want to use and the knee pads are ones I used when I skated as a kid. They come in adult sizing. Amazon is a life saver some days. Will post photos and info when I have run it all by the GML

Leather Work
Mac-Lace in Capalaba is where I will be heading on suggestion of Tachyon and Seantrooper as it is more accessible to me in South Brisbane. Belt and buckle for the belt will match in size as per CRL requirements. I managed to score a Harness and Belt from a USA 501st member to make things better!

Arm cuffs will also be a feature for my Mara. Also matching leather and width of 1.5cm. Snaps will be used to allow removal and applications.

Square-Nosed Holdout Blaster and Back Plate for Harness
***Updated** I have learned that this 3D print was not sanctioned by the 501st member whom originally designed her gun and have removed the tagged name and link to this item! I would recommend looking up Twi'Lek Pam on ETSY and buying her cast of the gun! I feel terrible I brought this copy of her work. So I will be sending all people to her store from now on!!
tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo5_r1_1280.png

Goggles
Ebay has a list and host of goggles. None of which have the brown rimming to match the reference pictures I am using. But that is okay. A bit of leather paint on the leather and the rims and she be right. Planning on using an item similar to these
tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo1_r1_500.jpg

Lightsaber
It is not a requirement for Mara to be approved but it is something I want to have with me when I do. Jade Fire is the lightsaber that is based off Maras. It is through Sabreforge https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/Saberforge . Pricey but worth it. I do also have a Mace Windu for kidlets to hold if and when and ever this is approved.
tumblr_of1e5wQEKG1r44qwfo6_r1_1280.png

Thanks for sticking for the rambling and stuff. You did it once before in 2015, welcome to the madness of 2016 and the fun of 2017 when I hopefully get this all done. I await for the GML to reply to me on a couple things and hopefully this will be the start of some awesome fun along side my TB.

-Chels
Edited by VickyVic

Hey Team!

Just an Update! I got to go and see MammaSith (she is local amazing Seamstress in QLD AUS who makes all the Redback Mara Suits) today and double check the pattern on my suit and what I have done so far and she say I should finish it. She is quiet happy with the pattern vs hers! Which is a huge relief. Putting the first cut into the material was killer for me 

tumblr_omzxaiSTGQ1r44qwfo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_omzxaiSTGQ1r44qwfo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_omzxaiSTGQ1r44qwfo3_1280.jpg

This was as far as I got before MammaSith saw the suit and wanted to see it to check placement and sizing of the diamond. So I started to work on the Cowl while that was happening ?
tumblr_omzxaiSTGQ1r44qwfo2_1280.jpg
Though I would try on a mask similar to my googles that I am wanting for shape and sizing. I think it looks like a good match

My saber is also back from Saberforge. I have had such a good experience with them and I am excited to be getting more Sabers from them in the future ❤️

Should have the suit finished this week and my wig will be on the way to me in the next week from Wig Is Fashion! Such a gorgeous Lace Front. May need to trim it shorter for the style I am after? We will see what my GML thinks.

-Chels
Edited by VickyVic
  • Like 1

The suit looks fantastic so far, and so does the cowl! Can't wait to see it completed! And that wig is also gorgeous. A lot of my friends use their wigs and always rave about them. I would definitely cut the wig a bit shorter, maybe straighten/comb the curls out a bit too? Her hair is more wavy than super curly like that. But I wouldn't make any decisions until you see it in person. 

• Like 1

Wig arrived and it is perfect. May need to trim as it may be a smidge long once I straighten out the curls

9a9c2ca3039f4ca8d62621717f9cbd1e.jpg

Need to try it all on with the suit and saber! Its looking not too bad now! 2f9e82d25e6d985380619d91217e37ec.jpg

8fc702f3cdfa88cc5a60d798838cb697.jpg

Looking onto Armour with my GML's thoughts on it as Custom Props on ebay does the comic versions

• Like 2

Updates again!

Goggles arrived from an Aussie Seller and are pretty much identical to the ones I wanted from the USA. So petty stoked. I mah sand back the black and repaint brown to match the comic. They look larger due to the small foam head

b28dc35ec78d07d2f29a149df569a5e9.jpg

Also dyed my leather to match the belts I have. A bit of matching and mixing and I think they are pretty much the same

e4b173ba4e9279717435570287f8b8e2.jpg

Boots! They are perfect! Picked up this evening. 2650d1608ba2e2a2c24fed3bc2ee225d.jpg

These are the xx wide calf. The largest calf size they do. But I am so pleased with these and I will probs be using these for a Jedi or Officer later down the track

5ddb248cdfbf5acdf8fa054700955cdd.jpg

Armour soon! And Gloves to arrive yet. I will probs have her done in a week!

• Like 1