• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nom Anor, Crimson Empire II

The Clone Emperor

Good afternoon,

While I continue to upgrade my wardrobe, it has been some tyme since I have shared work on an all new costume.

In 1999 I became intrigued with the shadowy character of Nom Anor.
He first appeared in the tale of Dark Horse Comic’s Star Wars: Crimson Empire as a surprise player in the Imperial power struggle after the first fall of Emperor Palpatine. I loved the look of his organic armour and the mystery surrounding the character. I also loved the idea of sculpting the armour from head to toe, front to back even though much of it would be hidden by Nom Anor’s cloak. I felt to reveal only glimpses of the armour would add to its authenticity. 
48c25d874011dfe20c41c6b1bcfa13b4.jpg

At this point the best physical reference for the Crimson Empire Nom Anor is this Star Wars Miniature from Wizards of the Coast;
s-l300.jpg
I realized I might have to fill in some of the blanks as I went. In 2010. Eleven years later, I made casts of my arms and began sculpting this armour. 
Here is one of my initial sketches for the torso and arms;
CtpX7ruWYAEz4QT.jpg
I make many such sketches just to help me to understand the character and the build of the costume.
Unfortunately, other events and priorities meant this armour had to be put on hold.

Starting in this past September, 2016 I resumed work on Nom Anor. This tyme with a maquette;
CtzcythW8AAQAzv.jpg
I am paying close attention to the 1999 Crimson Empire Handbook illustration with each shape I sculpt. This will be the blue print for my full sized armour.

• Like 2

Yes, I preordered that years ago with great excitement.
$_1.JPG
The figure is not wholly based on his Crimson Empire II appearance, but rather a combination with the Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Characters drawing by Michael Sutfin.
Review_NomAnorTVC_stillA.jpg

Crimson Empire II introduced Nom Anor before he was linked to the Yuuzhan Vong. I think before the Yuuzhan Vong existed in the SW Expanded Universe. I am not a fan of the bell-bottomed armour. The most recent Crimson Empire III shows hints of Nom Anor as Yuuzhan Vong—complete with the bell-bottom armour.

I am going olde skool.

• Like 2

A bit further along
30374932371_1f11d1679c_c.jpg
Nom Anor, Star Wars: Crimson Empire II
Left to Right, Front to Back, about 90% into this 1/6 scale maquette. I plan to start the life-sized armour sculptures next month.
First I need to make a new torso cast that includes the top half of my thighs.

• Like 1

Paint treatment test 1
30440489350_5ae6c4bd6c_z.jpg
Nom Anor, Star Wars: Crimson Empire II
I will finish the corrected cloak for this maquette, but my focus from here out will be the full-sized armour.

• Like 2

Thank you Rachel, you are an inspiration.

I find myself working on three costume projects simultaneously. Just in a better space in my Life to do so. It is freeing.

On this project front I have finished accessorizing the maquette.
CyZeDDNXgAA5v7S.jpg
This gave me a good idea of how I would like to make the full sized cloak.

I started working on the helmet lense buck. Several steps and much sanding latter I arrived here;

Cx_V9rgVEAAs_mM.jpg

The refined fibreglass buck I hope to use in my first vacuum forming experience.

Once I have the lens I will sculpt the rest of the helmet for fibreglass casting.

Be well.

• Like 2

As part of this ritual I have been designing a Vong Sigil based on icon seen in this comic;
ShareOurBeliefs.jpg
And in their faction symbol in Star Wars Miniatures
nom-anor-star-wars-miniatures-free-shipp

I designed and sketched for a while before arriving here;
tumblr_ofgwv9HrBY1rydan3o1_540.jpg

I sculpted this piece first in apoxie putty, made a silicone mold, and after some experimentation made this casting with Smooth Cast 326 and EVO red colourant;
C3tPBI6VYAAMBxv.jpg

More to come.

• Like 2