• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Another Mighella in progress :)

Guest mdb

I love the Mighella artwork. Her name is also similar enough to mine that I get a little buzz ;)

So given my difficulties with working with solid materials right now I have decided to start work on two fabric dominated projects. This is the first:

th_mighella1.jpg th_mighella2.jpg

Anyone watch Project Runway? Remember Rami? The fellow who liked drapery? Kindred spirit ;)

I'm still fine tuning the drapery, but I love this aspect of costuming.

*blush* Thank you. :) I happened to buy this fabric a few weeks ago as I fell in love with the drape and texture. It just took a little while for the brain cells to knock together and put two and two together- I had been keeping my eye open for fabric for this project for a while.

I may have my wig pieces already, they will require boiling and cleaning to remove the excessive curl ;)

I know this person who knows a person with the farm and these birds... ;) I've got my hands on feathers that would be perfect, great length, they stick up and out and are fine as is or could be trimmed to taper more. I'm thinking of buying enough for a set of wings actually as I could dye them black....

The dress pieces are all pinned together and I just need to decide if I'm going to force myself another day of rest or sew. I may sew. I need to change the threads on my overlocker anyway soon back to black for a few projects.

I don't know how many people here are historical costumers but I've also started a Keep Warm project of a schaube and rock c1540ish. I cut that out the same day as the Mighella dress....

I have looked at my Padme wig and I'm quite happy to boil the curls out of it. I may find another set of those hairpieces eventually anyway.

I thought I should mention also I have my contacts already :) Black Wolf which I had bought for a Mystique costume that never happened (though the various parts are still around).

Today I overlocked part of the bodysuit and the skirting and pinned the wrappings on a form. I see a fair bit of basting tomorrow...

My Padme wig pieces will work beautifully. I just pinned them to a styrofoam headform and with a boil perm the curls will drop out and the colour and fullness will be ideal.

I'm contemplating what to make the hair beads from. I suspect I'll wind up using EVA foam, and creative layering, to keep the weight down on most but include a spot of weight in places where needed. Nothing worse than the hair not flying about or flying about too much!

Now to take a closer look at images of her dark sword. I suspect again I shall be using foam board to keep weight down and allow me to actually make it myself ;) I rather like my wrist blades from my Human Predator costume and it was a good learning curve as to what paints and glues to use!

(Sakara knows, but I have a lot of erosion* in my wrists to the point most bones are hardly recognisable, this makes a lot of costuming either extremely difficult or simply impossible.)

*The xrays were taken in 01, 03 and this month.

Guest Sakara
I know this person who knows a person with the farm and these birds... ;) .

...and these birds dont have those feathers anymore... :wink::lol:

well i know you love drapery after seeing the blue Padme costume. Remember to give those wrists a rest every now and then!

Well these birds are sort of.. all going to be used up if you know what I mean? That reminds me I need to email today to make sure I can still get them!

Guest i.Chimaera

Okay, so this is my old profile :) I have recently been having to clear my clutter of a decade or so of unfinished projects. This is currently in my "I should finish this, but I have no reason to" pile. I have a lot of different storage solutions and the fabric parts fit in the simplest of these options, but not really anything else that I would need with this costume. Also she was inconveniently drawn with high heels which are just, really no. No. Not in thigh high boots, with drapery that will get caught. I put wedges or really wide heels in every costume so I don't trip over!

That said this fabric part could be finished now that I have three, yes three, actual dress forms :) This may also go hand in hand with playing SWTOR a little more regularly and with a toon able to use tech goods- like Mighella's sword XD I also have a wig that could be used which will get a bit more stash sorted :)