• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nightsister Ventress WIP

Cosplaymeg

Haven't attached upper bit yet, waiting for the broach to dry (I didn't like how the weathering looked), but here's where we are now

2ikcxgz.jpg

And the buckles and greaves after being repainted in a more shaded style as opposed to my overzealous application of rub n buff.

2e249yo.jpg

And mounted on the boots

111lbtk.jpg

Fit/spacing check!

Disregard my general lumpiness, didn't have the right shapewear (over at a friend's painting a prop for the MMCC booth at a con this weekend)

Need to trim the straps on the boots for sure, and likely go over the black stitching with grey... Oops. And one of my arm straps fell down. Didn't do it tight enough.

24yqmw7.jpg2zgz3mh.jpg25ja96s.jpg35bvb89.jpg

• Like 1

I like how you did the back of the dress correctly and so far the sash is coming together nicely. The spacing of everything seems correct. I'd like to see the loin cloth longer, but that is more a preference of mine than a requirement

I do have a concern about the visible stitching of the tacking down of the leggings. I'd say it needs to be tighter, but then there is always the problem of needing it to stretch. Perhaps you could do it with back-stitching. With mine, I had a ridge made with a round shoelace. then the tacking was done just below the ridge so it could be a little loser without showing 

Also, the grey straps on the boots and arms are a bit too light in color. A medium grey would be closer to reference. Perhaps, you could wash them with some darker colors so they don't stick out quite so much. 

One other thing. The arm wraps should come down over the end of the dress fabric on the hands. That is just a detail to remember when you are getting ready. And if you are able to figure out a way to keep the middle arm straps from falling down, I'd like to know your solution. Mine does that all the time. Annoying really

I hope that you are able to finish it up a have it come together nicely

• Like 1

Thank you so much for clarifying on the arm wraps. CRL says that sleeves must cover part of the hands, but that the wraps stop at the wrist, so I was confused. I'll probably sew the ends together to make it happen.

I appreciate the input on the boot straps as well, wasn't sure what qualified as "light grey", so I used the same color as on the armbands. I'll try and dye them a tad darker tomorrow!

As for the cursed middle strap, I'm not sure how yours are constructed, but I'm considering tacking the strap to the armband itself at this point. Mine are held together by the "buckles", so I'll have a point of stretch to get into them!

As for the visible tacking on the leggings... Honestly, I'll chalk that up to the wrong Spanx. I have shorts that I'll be wearing under this that make it easier to get the tights on and situated correctly. Plus, my buddy's house was in the 80s so everything was sticking to me in all the wrong places But I'll definitely keep my eye on it and likely go over it again, it was my first time using that sort of stitch, so it was a bit awkward.

Check the reference and how much they contrast from the boot and or arm wrap. It should be less so. They can see seen but aren't much different in colour/value from what they're on top of. 

As Brita noted perhaps a wash of acrylic or something could tweak what you have to be a solid match, thanks.

• Like 1

Before/after dye -- they're a bit darker, not sure if it's enough for the armbands. Should be good on boots. (Yes, I used ribbon... Couldn't find nylon webbing in a color I liked)

30rla45.jpg

Medallions all attached via heavy duty snap, top drape stitched to bodysuit.

29qm5qf.jpg

I'll admit to not having the costume, but it feels like the center waist armor bit is too s,all compared to the tabard behind it. Shouldn't the tabard sort of fit behind that?

Oof. Good catch! I made the medallion before I altered the width of the tabard. As previously stated in the thread, I do still need to gather or at the top a bit more, so it'll be a bit narrower... I'll figure out a way to make it happen!

Sounds fine. Check relationships between other parts got get a good scale. If gathering the tabard be sure and do that first to compare its final position to the plate instead of where it is now (the vertical creases would be nice and it could be a little wide atm). 

I've thoroughly enjoyed your updates on the LotL FB group: but seeing this thread has made me overjoyed! You've made amazing progress and I can't wait to see it finished!!

• Like 1

Apologies for lack of posting! Had to put this one to the side for a bit.

I've now lightened the greaves to a more recognizably "dark gray" as opposed to "lightish black" and threw together a hood that I think might just work:

2n1xhex.jpg

Met my GML at the event I wore Ventress to, he pointed out that the bald cap was wonky in the back -- my makeup artist was in a hurry, apparently... Oh well! That was his main issue with it, but the hood should take care of it .. assuming it's not super bumpy in the back as well, but if I tack it down it should be fine.

I'll do another round of app style photos once I find my white and gray paints!