• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nightsister Ventress WIP

Cosplaymeg

Howdy!

Had this one on the to-do list for awhile now, and now that my Mando has been approved, I feel it's time to move on to my next project.

I've purchased a grey heathered knit from JoAnn (SO SOFT!) and a knit burnout fabric that I'm hoping will drape well for the sash. If not, it'll make a great scarf or something here in Aggieland  :lol: . I've got my boots as well, and plan to do the shin armor from Sintra, as I've got quite a bit left over and am quite familiar with it now.

As I plan to do a Mara Jade eventually for 501st/Legion/Saber Guild, I think I'm probably going to pass on the sabers (for now) and instead carry the flail she used in season 3 (?)... But that's not an "official" part of the CRLs, oh well!

I've got a basic plan, but there are a few things I'm not sure of... And I'd love input!

A. The outfit as a whole. To do it in separate parts, or connect it all with tights into a full bodysuit?

B. The cowl/hood... Not even sure where to start on that pattern. Then again, I haven't tried very hard :lol:

C. Bald cap. My hair is ridiculously long, so I figured I'd just run it down the back of the bald cap, hidden under the hood... But we'll see, I guess!

Any tips or other snags that I need to be prepared for? Thanks in advance!!  :boba:

• Like 1

A well constructed flail matching what she used on the Nightbrothers would be a fine accessory to have. If you make a nice one, we'd be happy to add it to the CRL.

A: Not too many have done this one (LadyB is one). She had a swimsuit with the mini-dress connected to it, with white leggings with the grey ones attached and over the top. The dress snaps to the white of the legs.

StandingAsajj.jpg
NightSisterMultiView.jpg

B: It can be tricky. We used some neoprene from a wet suit to give it structure, a bit on either side sewed in the middle. The opening has a wire to keep its shape.

C. Sounds fair. LadyB often has shorter hair and or cuts it off. So long as there isn't a large bump on the neck your plan sounds fine. 

Best of luck with it. Be careful about the shape of the bottom of the mini-dress. It is straight across the back and has a point on both legs in front (I have screen caps if that helps). Getting that to sit right in front is key
.AV_Nightsisterback.jpg

Also we have a template for the shin armour if interested (I think there is a link in LadyB's build thread but I can find it if not (edit linked here as well: http://mcapell3d.com/img/nsav_shinguards.pdf ).

AV_petRancor.jpg  NS_AVHead.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! I've definitely got a high standard set to match ;)

Question on the boots... What exactly is considered a "moderate" heel? I've got a pair that I purchased based off the show, but the sole/heel are nowhere near as thick as LadyB's. Mine, the heel is a solid inch, but not super chunky. It's also got a gray elastic panel down the shaft as well... Do I need to go back shopping?

Thanks for the info! I've definitely got a high standard set to match ;)

Question on the boots... What exactly is considered a "moderate" heel? I've got a pair that I purchased based off the show, but the sole/heel are nowhere near as thick as LadyB's. Mine, the heel is a solid inch, but not super chunky. It's also got a gray elastic panel down the shaft as well... Do I need to go back shopping?

I think what was being described is just not a high heel, something thick enough that you can do darkside stuff in and not kill yourself. LadyB's is definitely on the larger side, a smaller one is perfectly fine. If it is around what is had here you should be good:

aed644403b08d270018ef8ef43cf2f84.jpg

While cutting out the fabric for a Sailor Scout fuku last week, inspiration hit and I finally got started on this.

124itrt.jpg

2mx3nns.jpg

The bodysuit has since been altered so the points are in the proper place.

2vkkniq.jpg

Greaves are super shiny because I just put a topcoat on them. They'll have the same finish as the medallions.

2gv3jgg.jpg

Sash mockup is just pinned, but I'm not sure it looks quite right... Input would be appreciated!

zxwmx5.jpg

Bracer straps... Am I anywhere close to being on the right track? I just kind of went into creator mode without scrutinizing reference pictures like I usually do....

Hoping to wear it this weekend, a friend volunteered to do the full bald cap/makeup for me, since I have exactly zero experience getting all my hair to hide like that!

All that's left to really do for it to be wearable is the cowl. I've got an idea, so we'll see how it pans out.

Hood, mask, and flail will be added later!

Be sure and scrutinize reference. The metal pieces are shaded, not so dirty looking. 

The arm wraps and front of the shin armour are not solid black, though they have dark spots they are generally lighter / more grey with tonal changes throughout. 

On the cowl, be sure it is reasonably fitted and you can get into it. Look forward to seeing your progress there.

Be sure and scrutinize reference. The metal pieces are shaded, not so dirty looking. 

The arm wraps and front of the shin armour are not solid black, though they have dark spots they are generally lighter / more grey with tonal changes throughout. 

On the cowl, be sure it is reasonably fitted and you can get into it. Look forward to seeing your progress there.

Thank you so much for the prompt feedback! Forgot to mention that I'd be sanding the finish on the greaves, lending to the mottled color on the finished piece. I'll repaint the buckles and finish more like the upper/lower detail on the greaves.

For the cowl, it needs to be a solid piece, yes? The idea of a Velcro closure came to mind for ease of dressing, but I know it may not look as good...

On the cowl you need either some preposterously stretchy material, or a closure with Velcro or a hidden zipper. If you go for the latter options make it as discrete as possible. 

My bodysuit fabric fits the absurdly stretchy bill, so I sewed a cowl out of two circlular segments of fabric and tumped it into a dark graphite dye bath. Hang drying now. It's a bit tight to get over my head, but recovers well enough​ to stay in place. Since it's two layers and serged all around, the bottom doesn't curl up - which was my main concern.

I see, very good. Was going to suggest if any sewing on the top if it to be sure the thread can stretch too. 

As to the bottom I'd tack it down firmly on the shirt/skirt. 

Starting the repaint on buckles

mox8h.jpg

Sanding finish on greaves

2wbuc0w.jpg

Cowl after drying. Still difficult to get on and off, but that means it'll stay! Top is double stitched with a broken zigzag for stretch - once to connect the two layers, once after that hem was folded under to secure. Once it's tacked down to the shirt, it'll lay flatter.

2hx8rp0.jpg

• Like 1

Everything pinned in place... Still brainstorming how to attach the sash. I figure the medallions will be Velcro, they're super lightweight so won't put much strain on the fabric. Velcro again for the belt bit of the sash, closing in front with the hanging panel to hide it.

fuz8u0.jpg

Everything pinned in place... Still brainstorming how to attach the sash. I figure the medallions will be Velcro, they're super lightweight so won't put much strain on the fabric. Velcro again for the belt bit of the sash, closing in front with the hanging panel to hide it.

It is good to see your progress. :)

On mine I have the broaches attached securing in front with larger Ditz snaps. Veclro may work, we were worried about it pulling free or being grabbed. 

It would be good to see the collar on you to ensure it isn't too baggy. 

From what I can see on the top broach, the button section appears to be a bit small and not shaped correctly. It should be tapered on top like the one on the belt area and on the ellipse above, like this:

AV_Broach.jpg

On the sash I have it Velcroed in the front and the tabard/loin cloth as a separate piece velcroed down to the belt area of the sash. The sash is also tacked down at the bottom edge of the black collar piece. It is also tacked down to other parts of the sash at various locations as needed to keep the sash pieces in the appropriate places. (best done while you are wearing it to see were tacking is needed)

I hope it continues to progress well. 

• Like 2

It is good to see your progress. :)

On mine I have the broaches attached securing in front with larger Ditz snaps. Veclro may work, we were worried about it pulling free or being grabbed.

It would be good to see the collar on you to ensure it isn't too baggy.

From what I can see on the top broach, the button section appears to be a bit small and not shaped correctly. It should be tapered on top like the one on the belt area and on the ellipse above, like this:

AV_Broach.jpg

On the sash I have it Velcroed in the front and the tabard/loin cloth as a separate piece velcroed down to the belt area of the sash. The sash is also tacked down at the bottom edge of the black collar piece. It is also tacked down to other parts of the sash at various locations as needed to keep the sash pieces in the appropriate places. (best done while you are wearing it to see were tacking is needed)

I hope it continues to progress well.

Thank you so much for your reply! That close-up really helps see the shape better (none of the photos on your thread show up for me...)

I've recut the bottom bit of the broach and repainted all of them to clean up the weathering:

eb8z00.jpg

And here's the collar pinned to where I'll have hooks/eyes to secure it on me (forgive the fact that it's sideways, my phone doesn't like to upload things correctly) Also, ignore the hot pink sports bra LOL!:

2md2zva.jpg

Still unclear where the images are/were not showing...

Snaps were used for the silver bits. I would sew the black down to the shirt on the bottom.  Otherwise It will  probably pull and not lay down well. 

It looks fine (not baggy).

Still unclear where the images are/were not showing...

Sorry, your WIP thread at the very bottom of the page -- went back and realized the broken images were posted by other people. I'm a sleep deprived overworked idiot, disregard ;)

My ridiculous idea for the sash worked!

b7c7br.jpg

I used a super heavy duty interfacing and sewed it into the ends of the belt portion and the very top of the loincloth. Used Velcro to attach, hook side away from bodice. The interfacing keeps the Velcro flat and allows for the belt to be tapered in appearance while providing a secure anchor for everything to stay put. May be a touch too wide, though...

I'm rambling and need sleep ... But I feel like I'm getting a little closer to where I'd like to be for the road test :D

• Like 1

The next attempt -- the puckering on the belt is from the fabric being stretched, and gravity isn't quite pulling this one down enough. Should I add additional weight? I'll obviously press the seam and topstitch so it isn't rolling as shown, but I had to leave for work.

2r7mrfr.jpg

I'm thinking that maybe when I attach the medallion there, I can push the gathers to the edge so it's more obvious (and so the solid piece has a flat bit to connect to).... Maybe?

Should also note, there's another piece of the stiff interfacing to make the end flare as shown in reference images, so it's wider at the bottom. The fabric itself is sort of a burnout, so it's got slight variation in color that's more visible in person.