• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Savage Opress vest

fuumantroop

Hey all, i have been looking more in to building a Savage Opress costume for 501st approval.

My question is, how much wiggle room do we have on choice of materials for his vest?

Will it have to be leather, pu leather, can it be a different black material like cotton or something?

What are others using?

There is one guy who made one, he use leather. Im in contact with him because a guy here in Costa Rica is working in one. He´s name is Jody Haucke, and what i know there are some guys working in the CRL right now.

Savage8.jpg
This is a custom build by Julian Checkley. He is very approachable but very busy. (Making a full sized Grummgar costume for Celebration Europe III)

I would encourage you to sculpt horns to fit a cast of your bald head, mold in silicone (Mold Star 20T or longer cure tyme) and cast with Smooth Cast 320 (five minute pot life.) You might roto cast by hand to make the horns hollow.

It does take some skill, but these horns are a great first project.

Welcome aboard and thank you for your interest.

Thanks for your insight on this! I know finding help for this costume is dang near impossible since there are so few...been searching night and day for the perfect leather jacket or vest that i could possibly modify for this. Not too worried about the pauldrons or anything else as they are pretty straight forward. Main hardship is the vest and the horns

It surely has been a while but I have been kind of hesitant on this build.

I am only 5'10 and 185 lbs.  I do not feel that I am quite up to par with portraying Opress at this height/weight.  Thoughts?

I am only 5'10 and 185 lbs. I do not feel that I am quite up to par with portraying Opress at this height/weight. Thoughts?

I think if you don't do his half-naked version that you will be able to use the armour and padding to make yourself look bigger than you are. It's part of the magic of costuming. Anyone can be anything.

I am only 5'10 and 185 lbs.  I do not feel that I am quite up to par with portraying Opress at this height/weight.  Thoughts?

I am the correct size for my starkiller, a few inches too tall for my Malakili, and about 2 feet too tall for my Jawa, no one pays that close of attention for size to matter.

Do they know what your costume is? A lot probably wont, or they will ask you if you are a yellow Maul lol.

Play the part, be your character, if you really want to they do make things that will add 3 inches to your height, but I wouldn't bother.

I'm slowly working on Savage as well.  When I get to the vest, I'll have to have that probably custom made, it'll be tough to make it look real from any other material.  And then yes, the other problem is bald cap and the horns. I don't have a solution for those either.

But hey, I have a saber so I'm basically done right?  :roll:

savage%20saber_zpsd6rbazqa.jpg

Shave your head and instant bald cap lol

But serious if you know a make up artist they can make you a skull cap with the horns built in, Then just have to blend to your face. Rather expensive but it works.

Our maul here has a latex bald cap that's painted with the horns attached. Doesn't look perfect but he wont shave his head. It works for him.

Edited by Gigglesdatropper