• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Asajj Ventress AOTC Concept Question

jj49

Hi, I am new to actual posting.  I have been spotting for Cloud City Garrison (Portland Oregon area) for almost a year. My husband joined with his Darth Maul after we went to Celebration last year. I have been trying to figure out who I want to take a try with (all the ones I like they are not approved characters/costumes yet). I submitted my Biker Scout costume for approval over the weekend and now thinking what to do next  :-D

On to my actual question, I see that Nightsister is the only CRL for Ventress that mentions if the the cloak is worn, and no signs of hair is shown, then the shaving or cap is not necessary and just the illusion of it with the make up. Is the Nightsister the only one that has that allowance for approval or could this be done for the Concept one as well?

So fun seeing all the great work from everyone here and thank you so much for any input. 

Good evening and welcome aboard,

The very first thing I will suggest is never let the absence of a CRL for the character you love pause you in the slightest from making your costume. There is a thoughtless bit of bureaucracy impeding the full membership of rightly approved costumes. Even with the undo extra requirements for an approved new character to make their own CRL entry, this can be overcome. No one should have to, but it can be done.

Alternatively, you could make your costume Asajj or otherwise and simply troop along side your partner at most costume events. Usually non members are not invited to troop at official 501st events, but if I were your local GCO and you had a good costume I would make an exception. 

Now on to your question;

There exists adequate reference for an approvable Hooded version for both original and extra Jarec facial tattoos Ventress.

7aff64e8d49b72aa6cfb494ab3505613.jpg 2.jpg

When we are first introduced to Juno Eclipse--later renamed Asajj Ventres--she is hooded. In all versions of her tale. Be it Concept, the original Tartakovsky Clone Wars, Dark Horse Comics, or the retrofit Filoni Clone Wars.
14752970102_b8de05b4ff_o.jpg
z210.jpg
obsession1.jpg
asajj-ventress-evilest-female-villains.j

So if Asajj, your hair, and the 501st together are your passion, there is a hood in your Future.

Love all the costumes and work on your website,  and love that you did a Bane - he is one of my all time favorites. A Darth Zannah is on my list too  :-D

I have another question. After reading all the great threads here on WIP (and wow, amazing work!), there are many that talk about the sideshow and black horse and other looks - and to just be consistent with the costume all the way through. It seems that there is some slight differences on the sideshow (or any of the looks a bit) from the CRL in the 501st - in particular, the belt and how far down the collar goes down on the bodysuit. So is it ok to go by the sideshow version for approval?  This is a link for reference. 

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/sideshow/evg/asajj-ventress-dark-side-disciple-Sideshow-Collectibles-sixth-scale.html

Hi jj49. The concept version of Asajj Ventress comes from a multitude of sources and references including some of those you an Thomas have noted. 

In Black horse I'm guessing you're referring to the many Dark Horse comics right?

There are many variations. She wore two distinctly different styles of belt at different points, one with an obi. The smaller belts vary a lot. The colour of the under layer on the torso and under arms varies from middle to dark grey and black on the SS. She wears at least two maybe three different skirt configurations.

The Sideshow is a great reference. She is seen in the comic with the higher neck and shoulder piece too (in addition to the one that goes over the shoulder) The belt is a goodly pattern. Brita (the model) has since remade her belt in leather to match that one. 

I wouldn't use the SS in exclusivity, but it is a good source to draw from.

I really appreciate all the feedback.  Thank you for your responses. I guess where my confusion is on approval....whether it matches crl or if variances are ok.  My understanding is if I don't follow the current crl I need to also provide a new crl for approval, which I am willing to do.  The biggest differences I am not sure about being approved is if I did the following changes:  not using black on sleeves (because there are far more references without the black on sleeves), not having collar go all the way to shoulders (although, I could see this going either way as there are many of both varieties), and using a leather wider belt like the sideshow

The collar is perfectly fine either over the shoulders on not, many references for both. She's seen with no less than 3 different configurations of belts (some of which are noted in the CRL). The arms should have a division on them. As you note there are many varieties of how colorists painted that. I'd be happy to see what your planning. 

I am not a GML (and Garrison Membership Liaisons can approve this costume without consultation), but if a properly sourced version comes before me as LMO I'm happy to approve. A new crl isn't needed here, though some refinements could be considered to the existing one. They'll need to be voted on by the detachment. I'd be happy to work with you if you wanted to look into that.

Thanks,