• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mic/speaker with Revan

Kylo Revan

Has anyone tried using any of the personal mic/speaker setups with Revan like the other armor characters use?

Wearing the mask that seems closer to the face seems like it would be awkward to use the mic, and given that Revan doesn't have any costume pouches I'm not sure where we'd attach the speaker.

Wondering if anyone had tried something or worked out a system to help talk while dressed up.

Thanks!

I'm planning this, which mask do you have? I've got a Lion's Den on the way which has cheek extensions on it. I'm thinking either add to the bottom or mount them on the cheeks.

I've got the Wicked Armor Revan set.  Just the cover mask. Nothing else around it. I thought it might be too easy to see a headset peeking about without a full helmet. Only thing I can think of is to disconnect the Mic and run it up through the shirt and have it connect inside the mask in front my mouth.

That would depend how large all of these things are. Somewhat unrelated, I did car audio install work professionally and did a few stealth installs but I also had the vehicles there, the hardware present, etc so it was just a matter of removing things to see how it all could fit in place.

I've seen MWA in person, if it were me I'd be tempted to tell you to grab the new undermask thingy and try working with that. BUT I need more info on the voice change box before I can recommend throwing a bunch of money at the situation just to be wrong.

You could make a small pouch in back (where it's less visible!) and just feed the wire under your armor to the back. The mask IS super close/more facial form-fitting so having a mic might not work the best or be comfortable-- you could always craft/order a mask that sits a little farther from the face if you really wanted to go this route :) personally, I've never had a problem with people hearing me on troops or at conventions!! Idk though maybe I'm just loud lol

I haven't tried speaking to anyone with it all on yet so maybe I won't need it, but I was considering it.  I figured the mic to be the real pain piece given the mask and it's proximity. We'll see after I've had some time to get a better idea with it.

• Like 1

I do not use a mic with my revan because i for some reason have a very easy time talking to people. the bottom is quite open and so are the sides. But a mic system attached to an aker amp would be very easy to do!

I have one in my kylo and i find the faceplate is much like revans. Form fitting and smashed against my face so my mic is taped into my helmet in the front

Just dont forget the charge it :P Cant stand it when im trooping and my mic goes out on my other costumes

Edited by Amidala

Walking around the house my wife tells me she can hear and understand me just fine. I have a pretty loud and deep voice so it may be unnecessary.  I'll see what happens when I get into a more public setting on Sunday!

I arranged the padding on my new mask to let me wear my voice amp.  Depending on your build you might be able to place the amp behind the chest plate (I have some TK and clone buddies that do that.)  When I wore mine with my current Revan I just used the belt clip and hid it behind some of my soft goods.  Most voice amps are black so they blend in pretty well.

100.jpeg

No I think this was from galaxy props. It's wider than the big water masks which is nice for my big head. Ive had bigwater99s mask and helmet I preferred the helmet as the mask was a bit too tight for my face. I also has lionsden's swtor helmet. I loved it but it was a bit too tight for my nose. All 3 of those were top quality just not right for my face.

So I just finished my first troop as Revan yesterday.  I didn't have a mic or anything. If the noise wasn't too bad then it seemed folks didn't have too big a problem hearing me. We were in a relatively close space with lots of people/kids coming through so when it filled in even getting pretty close people had a harder time understanding. Our local XO suggested putting the mic under the balaclava if needed and attaching the speaker to one of my backplate armor rings perhaps, though that may make sitting a bit harder than it can be already. I'm holding off for a bit to see how different size events work out talking to people at least.

No I think this was from galaxy props. It's wider than the big water masks which is nice for my big head. Ive had bigwater99s mask and helmet I preferred the helmet as the mask was a bit too tight for my face. I also has lionsden's swtor helmet. I loved it but it was a bit too tight for my nose. All 3 of those were top quality just not right for my face.

That's good to hear Lion's Den does good stuff. I should have considered searching harder for funsies before making my purchase.

I use BigWater's. What I have experienced with wearing my Revan compared to my Mandalorian is that wearing a headset hurts. What I have tried is sewing velcro on one of the side straps of the mask and attaching the other side of velco to the mic and just attach it that way. I've also tried installing the mic in the helmet like how my Mandalorian helmet has an installed mic.

The velco option worked much better than the installed mic. 

As for where to put the mic box I painted my mic box similar to the color of my armor and attached it with velcro to the bottom back plate.

• Like 1

Got my Lion's Den mask and started on the cleanup/prep work for priming. Included in the raw cast was basic mounting hardware, an elastic nylon band plus rivets and a thin strip for use as the visor. Neither of these were listed on the etsy page The mask itself is built like a tank very thick resin throughout and doesn't weigh much. The detail on it is killer and well executed.

As for mic mounting, I'm not sure how to do so yet since I don't have the slot cut to see how it fits on my melon.