• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Ahhhh haalllp!!

I currently am concept Asajj ventress and am having makeup issues (and bald cap issues) I've read through the topics and still am slightly confused :/ can someone please point me in the right direction as far as which makeup and where I can find it? Many thanks in advance!! 21813dc6c9fad9464c2a52d9b7d40545.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

effeef7c4a2bfa5855b1c8e5cca384c4.jpg

Bald Cap...ohhh bald cap.. how I hate them. Yeah... Im gonna see if can bother mike to come in here (or his lovely lady) and see if they can offer advice. They are the bane of most peoples costumes. Ive had friends spend a lot of money on bald caps just to learn they were doing one little thing wrong.

However as with most things, makeup is one of those cases where the more you spend the better quality you will get,

When i made my Palpatine i made VERY good friends with my local High end FX/Makeup shoppe. They trained and taught me tips (and got my business for life) because they took the time to help. You might want to take a gander in your area for a local shoppe that specializes in FX makeup? :)

Edited by Amidala

I currently am concept Asajj ventress and am having makeup issues (and bald cap issues) I've read through the topics and still am slightly confused :/ can someone please point me in the right direction as far as which makeup and where I can find it? Many thanks in advance!!

I am happy to help. :) There are many routes to take on makeup, what my wife Brita has stayed  with in the end was a combination of two Ben Nye cake solids, Geisha and Porcelain applied with water and a natural sponge. She's found this avoids the clown look and layering or the two colours with the sponge makes it look/feel more like skin. 

For the Triangles we make a temple printed on card stock that we cut out and then hold tight on the zygomatic and template and paint on with a black grease make-up (we've done both Ben Nye and graftobian)

The template we freely share. www.mcapell3d.com/images/AsajjTats.pdf

Be careful on placement for symmetry and good angles, following the zygomatic arch and be sure to set it when done. 

Her build thread is here: http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210-help-on-new-ventress/

As to a cap she can share some tips, but as has been noted we had horrific trouble right before a Cancer walk on hr 4th troop and she opted to remove and donate her hair. Let me see if she can remember best practices.

Thank you so much!! This has been a big help to me!! I really do appreciate any and all info I can get!!! I'm so tired of the makeup streaking and not looking solid :/

Sounds good. A natural sponge is really good for that. Alter between the two tones. Do tell how we can help further. 

4cc1d1f2e3f2888d64fb9486368f4830.jpg

dc0484207e63c8d8f846df2e88c563e7.jpg

d5f6c62701949c649d469d8f6866ffef.jpg

I really love how this came out. This was a quick 20 minute job but I already love this so much more! Thank you for the guidance!

• Like 1

If you are makeup savvy you can also try contouring to help prevent the washed out white look. It can be very tricky. (I am NOT make up savvy, so im still getting the hang of the contouring :P ) Noones skin tone is one solid color, so it can help give a not natural skin color the extra OMF needed to make it look realistic 
As mentioned above, stencils will be your friend. I use a stencil to make my triangles. ive cut a piece of makeup foam into the shape and size i need and i stamp the triangles on. Then i go over it again and darken it by hand in any spots that need it. 

As for the bald cap, cant help you there. im allergic to latex so i went the shave my head route.

I'm glad it is going well for you, the eyes look nice. :)

On the tattoos, Michael shared a link to the template above, feel free and try that. It has worked well for us. Using a custom cut foam wedge like Jaguars_soul suggest sounds good too. I think Michael gets a wedge thick in the grease and pulls it across the open spot on the template. Having it firmly against the skin is key, but it works. 

The triangles are good for this as they were the original design and most closely match your costume. I'd recommend not mixing and matching the make-up/tattoo styles. In the comics they look like this with a pair on each cheek and fou  on each temple, each representing her defeat of a Warlord who killed her family and Jedi Master:

tumblr_n02t2yRWAm1s00jezo1_1280.jpg

450px-Concept_Ventress_tattoos.jpg450px-Concept_Ventress_head.jpg

As she had a version of this costume in The Clone Wars you could also try this:
450px-SL_ventress_tcw-bald.jpeg800px-SL_ventress_tcw_apprentice-face.jp

0014-111.jpg

My main concern would be that the colour remain consistent on the cap and your skin. Note that the eyes and lips make-up is different between the two styles. IN the first she has black on the lips and around the eyes (nail polish too). In TCW she has the lavender styled tattoos around the eyes and mulberry lips. Her nails are a pale grey. 

Yeah I was just playing with a concept seeing how the paint went over one another. I will definately be printing out that template and using them! I will be testing the makeup out this weekend at a library con! Very excited!

• Like 1

9b592c16d9568ffa265c8fbdb502570f.jpgc4aae2153983a0d24655bbe2a9c1677f.jpg

Makeup went quite well :) had fun at con yesterday!! Feels nice to be Asajj again! Now to work on a new shirt and upgrade skirt! Lol

• Like 1

Hello: D maybe you should make a clearer sign on the lips, it seems as if the black lipstick is gone a little off, so maybe you should do better or dry white, or with a black pencil make a nice side dish to your lips and then put lipstick with a primer under way will last more: D I do for darth traya I wear makeup lips directly with the colored water in order to avoid problems XD

Hello: D maybe you should make a clearer sign on the lips, it seems as if the black lipstick is gone a little off, so maybe you should do better or dry white, or with a black pencil make a nice side dish to your lips and then put lipstick with a primer under way will last more: D I do for darth traya I wear makeup lips directly with the colored water in order to avoid problems XD

Again, this was just a quickie trying out new makeup, but thanks for the advice!

Good to see it in progress. Curious could we move this to the Asajj Section?

Also have you tried using the template for the triangles?

I printed them out and am going to transfer them onto a thicker paper so I can reuse them over and over. Thanks to you and your wife for all your help! I really do appreciate it!!