• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mandalore The Ultimate

Rejean

Started working on the axe blade again, not happy again!

I finished sanding out all the imperfections and prepped the blade for its fist coat of paint... again. I was a little overzealous and impatient and I went to paint too quickly and after the paint dried I found a lot of contaminants left on the surface that caused blotchy bumps in the paint.

Back to the drawing board..

So now I am currently sanding the axe AGAIN!!... lol. and I am going to leave one side with some of the imperfections, and totally clean the opposite side. this was I can have a weathered side and a clean side. if I don't like the clean side I can always dirty it up.

In tandem I have also prepped the pole that the axe attaches to. I bought some paint at a local shop, I painted it yesterday With "Krylon - ColorMaster - Paint+Primer - Metallic - Gold - Brilliant" and the finished product looks more Copper than Gold. I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm going to bring my mask down to compare it side by side and see if it will be passable. I see myself redoing this whole axe in my future!

So as I mentioned I planned on bringing down my mask to hold it side by side to see if the color match was WAY off or if it could be passable.

To my gleeful surprise i couldn't be happier! my only problem now is hoping that i have enough of this Defective paint in the can to finish the blade. Or that there is more at the store that's from the same bad batch.

IMG_20160316_105626489_zpskzd10eyl.jpg

IMG_20160316_105609702_zpsjvv2qhgi.jpg

So I finished painting the pole and brought it home. I placed the unfinished Axe blade onto the pole and fully extended the pole just to get a good idea of how it will feel and look..... WHAT!? awww no.. LOL i didn't fully extend one section of the pole before paint! LOL I suck at this, eeerrrk. ok so back to the shop with the pole to paint a 45cm section in the middle, should be done by tomorrow. OMG!

Painted the missed section and am now working on the axe blade again, sanding sanding sanding sanding, the word has now lost all meaning, but if I just keep at it, I will be happy I didn't rush it, (like before). This time around I will thoroughly prep before paint, thoroughly!

1. The first coat of paint will be the Dark Silver section (small sections between each fan of blades), after that dries (24) hours I will clear coat that section to lock in the Metalic shine.

My mistake the first time around was due to placing the tape on the metallic (unclear coated) paint, when I removed the tape it ruined the metallic finish.

2. After the first stage of clear is fully cured, the second coat of paint will be the Light Silver section (the majority of the blade), after 24 then clear coat that.

3. The third and final paint will be the Gold center section of the Axe blade, 24 hours before the final clear coat.

After this is all complete I will hopefully have a good time playing with some weathering ideas I have for one side. I am thinking one side to be weathered and one side to be clean. If all goes well and the weathering looks cool I may just do both sides weathered.

the next time I post, hopefully, it is with pictures of a blade that is "flawless"!

*knocks on wood...

Judgement day today to see if the tape leaves residue or pulls the clear, I have a good feeling about this one. Pictures to come as soon as I am done the prep for the clear coat.

Edited by Rejean

I went to take the tape off this morning and there is some slight tape residue left on the dark grey sections, I will, on the Weathered side, attempt to clean it, but if I start making matters worse I'll be forced to clear coat over it tonight. It has turned out rather nice though. sorry about the crappy pic I was using the flip function on my phone as I have been using a mop handle to do the silver painting and cant put it into the stand I was using with the flag pole. i think the dark grey gives the illusion of the blades being separate, I like it so far, but there is always room for improvement. More to come. 

IMG_20160401_072531228_zpsw3zbqppu.jpg

IMG_20160401_072518243_zps54w6eknz.jpg

Edited by Rejean

And paint is complete! this is now 98% done, a few details added to the staff and center ball of the bald, some light weathering and then it will be ready for display. 

Here it is during paint and its last stages. 

IMG_20160405_172039338_zpsw0pjgp9v.jpg

Hanging it to set for 1 hour

IMG_20160405_172001451_zps5fgtdcxu.jpg

And i brought the staff (pole) to try it all out together, and here she is in all her Glory! a special thanks to my son for showing it off

IMG_20160405_185008082_zpsq8nlos5l.jpg

Here it is next to a door in order to show its size, i can extend it taller but I would have to paint one section of the pole. 

IMG_20160405_185255936_zpsotbggbtt.jpg

Thanks! when I find the time I will be attempting to weather the bar and blade a little bit. I don't want to weather it too heavy as you can see in the comic book renderings it is shiny and new looking. That is because it is a new weapon, he made it after destroying Admiral Karath's flagship and made it out of the hull! lol so cool. 

"Ah Admiral Karath, is it? Or did you lose the Rank as well as your flagship?.....Recognize the Axe? It was forged from y our so called Courageous--when we began melting it down for scrap."

Love IT!

This is my first attempt at weathering. I looks .... ok, perhaps over time i will make better.

Here is the Clean side

IMG_20160408_140228414_zpsveuv1qhq.jpg

And the weathered side.,.

IMG_20160408_140213382_HDR_zps3gyab6zp.j

let me know if you have any tips. 

Here is the latest on the AXE, Weathering Stage 2. I'm happy with myself, this is my first attempt at weathering and blood spattering ever, and I have impressed myself. i feel the blades look like they are coming out at you much better, like a 3d effect. much better then weathering stage 1, glad i took the time to play with it more. 

IMG_20160501_242107207_zpsqtzglyno.jpg

Here I am at Ottawa Comiccon, What a great time, Learned what parts needed to be upgraded and what parts needed to be changed. But all in all a Great first Large event. People loved the Axe and i actually found one guy who was wearing a Mandalore T-Shirt!!!! Sadly i cant find his picture he took with me online. I so want that guys shirt!

GAS-CCO2016-5368_zpsmpo5yn6t.jpg

• Like 1

Practicing my hand/machine at sewing some patterns for the cape and skirt for this 'ol fella. I'm going to look into making the cape come right out front of the shoulder armour to better depict the Artwork from the comic books. 

IMG_20160526_230240292_zps3bx2nvl6.jpgIMG_20160526_230311308_zpszwcosbku.jpgIMG_20160526_230248805_zpsmc82ukl0.jpg

I have since bought new Perfect Material For re-doing the Cape and Lower "Pteruges" (because I don't want to call it a skirt). I am also currently working on a new under mask with functional breathing hoses. now when I talk I actually sound like I am under a mask and it distorts my voice. I will try to take progression pictures if I can. I'm also thinking of making ribbed pants, but because it would be very subtle and rarely seen that's on the back burner for now.

So I have Finally made the time to start the work on the Cape and other softs Upgrades. Here are some pics of, my practice cape with a white bed sheet (Who uses the flat ones anyway Right?!)

then the other pictures show a small cut of the material that I am using and how it hangs (SO BEAUTIFUL)! cant wait to see it complete.

IMG_20170112_211211724_zpseanzjfte.jpg

Don't mind that the Pleats don't flow all the way to the bottom as the actual material is not so rigid. 

IMG_20170112_211230853_zpscmzeuftz.jpg

IMG_20170112_213518222_zps9jbr2t6q.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzyness. 

IMG_20170112_213554030_zpsomwaqybg.jpg