• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

A Nihilus from France

Yu'daï

Hi everyone! 

As said in my introducing post, I want to do a cotf Nihilus. So I have some questions :

1°) What kind of material should i use to do the hood / cape / outer and inner tunic/skirt? 

2°) what do you guys use to make the specific shape on the head? 

May the power of the Dark Side be your, for ever! 

I personally used raw black silk for the material for mine.  I think some people used piano linen.

There are many different ways to make the shape of the head.  I purchased mine so I can't really say what it is to make one.

Good luck with your costume!

Hi 

Welcome  :))   good choice on the costume.

You can use any fabric - but do remember, that since it has many layers, that the fabric needs to be breathable - I used a heavy jersey fabric.

As Kracker98 already wrote - there are many ways to make the shape for the headpiece - do take a look on this page to see, how others have done theirs.

Good luck with your build and I´ll look forward to see your WIP  :wink:

With a lot of people using thermaplast materials, it is a great way to get the hood shape. Some local Nihilus' in my garrison have used Worbla or Wonderflex with great success. 

I will look for the Wonderflex. Do you know if it is very easy to find raw silk ? And is it really different from Jersey fabric ? 

I am also looking for a lightsaber, but it is difficult to find one that correspond to my will, maybe because I didn't play so much to KOTOR or COTF, and so, i don't really see their design.

Therefore, I would like to ask the FG GML, but for now my account is inactivated. For the boots, the gloves and the belt, i think i will ask one of the FG member's, known as Picard / Imperial Boots.

I am also looking for the patterns for the inner/outer tunic. I have seen in the other posts that there are some available on Etsy, but...etsy only ship to U.S, not France.

Dazek!

I will look for the Wonderflex. Do you know if it is very easy to find raw silk ? And is it really different from Jersey fabric ?

Raw silk is VERY different from jersey. To start with, silk has no stretch. The finish is different, the weight is different, and it will hang differently.

A lot of costumers buy the raw silk from Dharma Trading Co. I'm not if they ship to France or not, you would have to check. It is the best price I have found for this type of fabric. I use it in all my commissions. 

Here is the material: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/black-raw-silk-35mm-45-inch.html?lnav=fabric_silk.html

Worbla and Wonderflex are made in Germany, so you should be able to find a supplier in Europe. 

As for a lightsaber, you do not need one for approval into the 501st as it is an optional accessory. But we all love to have a good lightsaber in our hand! I personally have used Ultra Sabers in the past and have had great experience with them. I just ordered their most basic silver hilt with a red blade, nothing fancy, simple is better for the KOTOR era. If you want to have an accurate Nihilus hilt, I got mine from Moonbase Creations.

Moonbase Creations: https://www.facebook.com/MoonbaseCreations/?fref=ts

For the pattern, most of us use the Simplicity 5840 which you can order directly from their website. 

Pattern: http://www.simplicity.com/misses-men-teen-costumes/5840.html#sz=30&start=82

Hope this helps! 

Cheers,

Nef

Thanks for the links. I am 1m65 tall, is it enough to take 25 yards for the costume ? 

BTW, i really like your picture Nefthys. But is this kind of decoration accurate ? :P

In the next days I will order the fabric, but i still have a question concerning the fabric: Is black cotton fabric okay for the sleeves ? 

Yes, I used a black cotton fabric for the sleeves.  It should look a little different texture than the rest of the costume.  I also used batting in between the fabric of the sleeves to give it the quilted look.

Black cotton is just fine. I myself sewed a pair using a nice weight black cotton,

Make sure that when you do buy it that all of your blacks are the same tone. I see this concern with a number of all black costumes. just keep your blacks all the same shade of black. there are brown/red blacks and blue blacks and true blacks (which that one is rare) so just get a swatch and dont buy until you have the same tone

Edited by Amidala

Some news here: I have ordered the fabric (25 yards)and it should be delivered tomorrow. I will start as soon as I will be back home, that me ans on 10 days. I think i will start with the tunics and the skirts, as i'm waiting to see if a friend can do the mask for me.

So, i have open my packet and discover the fabric, and I find it a little bit...thick...So my question is: do you make a double layer with the tunic, or a single layer is enough ?

Hey, it has been a long time since i have posted here, but with the studies, I had no time to keep going on.

But now I have time. I am currently looking for gloves 

Do you these one are OK for an approval ? 

http://www.armurias.com/contents/fr/p539.html

And here are the boots I think i'll buy 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soviet-Jackboots-Russian-Army-Military-Boots-Soldier-USSR-SIZE-43-010-/282131743543

Hi

Good to see that you´re still working on the costume.

Regarding the gloves, no I wouldn´t buy those - They are just ugly... sorry to say that...   I would go after something more like this :  http://www.ebay.com/itm/171054688953

The boots will work fine - any black plain boots without straps and visible zipper  :wink:

You can make the belt yourself - it´s not that hard. I made the belt for one of our garrisons members - I took two black leatherstraps, one about 5 cm wide and one around 1,2-1,5 cm wide + 8 "gun screws" ?  don´t know, what they are calle and some velcro to make a closure in the back.  

Link for the screws, so you have an idea about how they look - these need to be painted black  :  http://skindladen.dk/gevaerknapper-146

You don´t need a lightsaber for approval, so you have all the time in the world to find a good one 

Have fun !   :))

• Like 1