• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Doctor Aphra

azri84

I was going to work on Doctor Aphra over the winter.  She has a few variations but I think I was going to settle on this version of her outfit.  

I'm probably going to sew the vest, gloves, and shirt.  Contacted someone to make her aviation cap and getting help with making a tattoo sleeve.  

I have black boots like hers from my officer costume.  

Nice little winter project.  

aphrabelt_zpswlqjahso.jpg

aphracap_zpsy8cyssjp.jpg

Hello!

Great idea! I'm plannig to build a Dr Aphra too, but a different version. I got the wig, the boots the shirt and the fabric/faux leather for the trousers, the jacket, the cap and the gloves. Unfortunatelly there existes just one single picture of this version, so it looks like I can forget it to try to get it approved, but I'll do it anyway ...

post-254-0-45198900-1450886780_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tlana

Hello! Good News! If they follow the guidelines of "Legion 1st" (ie: you have the proper reference)  Characters who were cannon who were turned "Legend" are still available as "approval character" costumes in the legion!

I got my bomber hat in.  Got it commissioned by a guy on Etsy.  He did a great job.

I need to get the belt/holster.  Found a suitable shirt, just need to modify the shirt slightly.  

aphraaviator_zpshkipvlcg.jpg

Since we're working on the same version, I figured I'd steal Anna's thread (since I'm kinda also stealing her aviator cap--yay for garrison friends! :P)  Been working on my Aphra for a while now and I'm almost to the point where I'd like to try and submit/get a CRL. The attached is my costume as of October/November and I've made some upgrades since then including the belt/holster rig which just came in! I'm putting together the appropriate blaster to go with it and after that I think I'm fairly close? Not really sure how to proceed from here though.

post-2094-0-43050200-1487810378_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-52797900-1487810786_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-90476500-1487810446_thumb.jpg

Okay so no pictures at the moment since they're on my friend's phone and not mine (unless you want to see a very in character Aphra face of confusion) but I do have a proposed draft CRL. Am intending to submit for Legion approval soon.

Aviator Cap

• The aviator cap is light tan in color and made from leather or a leather like material and fits close to the costumer’s head

• A padded, circular shape sits on either side of the head over the ears with visible stitching around the edge where they connect to the cap

• The chin strap should have a functional buckle but is worn unbuckled

• Hair should be worn down and loose beneath the cap with at least some hair visible on the forehead/over the right eye.

Goggles

• The goggles are round in shape

• The frames of the goggles are a dark red that matches the color of the vest

• The frame should be made of plastic and not appear metallic.

• The strap should be either black or match the red of the goggles and be approximately ¾ of an inch wide

• The goggles should be worn on top of the costumer’s head and above the cap, approximately even with the hairline.

Optional: Goggles may be square in shape instead of round

Vest

• The vest should be a dark red in color and made from a medium weight fabric with no visible closures

• The back of the vest should be high and come up almost to the costumer’s neck

• The front of the vest should be angled inwards at approximately 45* and then go straight down. The angle change should be about even with the bottom of the split of the shirt.

• The vest is worn open with an approximately 4 inch gap between the two sides.

Shirt

• The shirt should be of a similar weight and cut to a fitted, short-sleeved polo with a popped collar

• Color can be white, off-white, or cream

Optional: A long sleeved shirt of the same cut may be substituted

Tattoo

• Tattoos (via sleeve, make-up, or otherwise) mimicking Aphra’s circuitry design in black must be on the right arm.

• These should be an assortment of straight lines which end in circles with a dot in the center

• The lines and circles are of equal width and be no wider than half a centimeter

Gloves

• Gloves are black, wrist-length, of a leather-like material, and fingerless

• The top side of the gloves have a rectangular red patch on the back made from similar material to the gloves.

Pants

• The pants should be plain and tight-fitting but NOT made of legging-like material

• Color should be either gray or a steel-blue

• Pockets are permitted

Boots

• The boots are black with low heels not higher than an inch

• No buckles or laces are visible. Zippers are permitted on the insides.

• The boots should be knee-high in height

Belt and Holster

• The belt is made from plain, undecorated brown leather and is 2 inches wide.

• The plain silver buckle is rectangular with rounded edges. It should sit flush with the belt, be 3 inches long, and only very slightly wider than the belt itself.

• The holster is made from the same plain brown leather. There should be one narrow strap to secure the blaster with a circular, silver snap to attach it.

• Two brown straps secure the holster to the belt and run to the buckle and the back-center of the belt respectively

Optional:

Jacket

• In place of a vest, a long sleeve red jacket may be worn

• The jacket should be looser fitting and of a similar shade of red to the vest

DL-44

• If present, the blaster should be an exact replica of a DL-44

Give me a day to look at all the references we've got and do a bit more research on it. I'll gather a list of stuff and compare it to yours to see what should be added, if anything!

Thank you! Let me know if you'd like me to pull any further references from the comics! I deliberately kept some of the language vague to account for minor changes between artists but this is also my first time writing a CRL. 

Picture of the costume with the proper belt/holster and cap is attached! Unfortunately, it looks like I didn't pull the tattoo sleeve up high enough when we took these but that's a simple enough fix.

post-2094-0-47450100-1488810500_thumb.png

• Like 1

Congratulations! You did a super cute and cool Dr Aphra. Can't wait to continue on mine. I'm also thinking of sewing a tatoo sleeve. I think the mess is less if you don't have to paint your arm with colour every time ...

Thank you! For my tattoo, I actually just took an old pair of pantyhose, cut off one leg, drew the pattern on a piece of paper and taped it to a pringles can, and then used a sharpie to draw the pattern on to the hose. There's probably a better way to do it but uhhh I may have procrastinated on this until the night before I left for NYCC last year.

hello hello! Chiming in to take a look!! Sorry If this seems like I am nitpicking anything i make observations. ;)

Cap: In the original image you posted the seam lines on your aviator cap are wrong.There should only be two predominant lines at the top of the head, yours has 4.

Tattoos.= there is a large gap between the shirt and the tattoos (you mentioned this).  Do you have reference that these tats match hers? I am having a hard time lining up the details. The arm designs in your detailing doesnt have enough lines. 

holster: the strap should hang down father on your leg. i can hardly see the second strap. 

Hair: Your hair is to long in the front. missing bangs. it should be no longer than the collar bone in the front and no longer than the shoulder blades in the back.

Edited by Amidala

Dont be freaked that I literally rampaged your CRL. youve done a great job. Ive written a lot of them. Heres some edits/mods and additions I made to what you have. Please scan and let me know your thoughts,

Aviator Cap

• The aviator cap is light tan in color and made from leather or a leather like material

• The cap fits snug on the costumer’s head

• A padded, circular shape sits on either side of the head over the ears with visible stitching around the edge where they connect to the cap

• The chin strap should have a functional buckle and is worn unbuckled.

• The strap should hang no lower than the collar bone.

Hair

• Hair is black in color and shaggy.

• Hair is loose beneath the cap with at least some hair visible on the forehead/over the right eye.

• Hair is no longer than the shoulder in the front.

• Hair is shoulder blade length in the back.

• Shaggy unkempt bangs hang from the front of the aviator cap and arch to the right.

Goggles

• The goggles are round or square in shape

• The frames of the goggles are a dark red and match the color of the vest

• The strap should be black or burgundy and is ¾ of an inch wide

• The goggles should be worn on top of the costumer’s head and above the cap, even with the hairline.

Vest

• The vest should be a dark red (wine or burgundy) in color and made from a medium weight fabric with no visible closures

• The back of the vest ends at the costumers back arch.

• (Do you have reference of the vest arching as you say?)

• The angle change should be about even with the bottom of the split of the shirt.

• The vest is worn open with an approximately 4 inch gap between the two sides.

Shirt

• The shirt is a light to medium weight natural fiber,

• The shirt sleeves end at the costumers upper bicep.

• The collar is popped.

• Color can be white, off-white, or cream

Optional: A long sleeved shirt of the same cut may be substituted(do you have reference for this design?)

Tattoo

• Tattoos (via sleeve, make-up, or otherwise) mimicking Aphra’s circuitry design in black must be on the right arm.

• These should be an assortment of straight lines which end in circles with a dot in the center

• The lines and circles are of equal width and be no wider than half a centimeter

• See Dr. Aphra reference chart for more information (insert link)

Gloves

• Gloves are black, wrist-length, of a leather-like material.

• Gloves are fingerless and cut off above the finger joint.

• The top side of the gloves have a rectangular red patch on the back made from similar material to the gloves.

Pants

• The pants should be plain denim and tight-fitting .

• Color should be either gray or a steel-blue

Boots

• The boots are black with low heels of an inch or less.

• No buckles or laces are visible. Zippers are permitted on the insides.

• The boots are knee-high in height

Belt and Holster

• The belt is made from plain, undecorated brown leather and is 2 inches wide.

• The plain silver buckle is octangular and wide. The buckle sitsflush with the belt and be 3 inches long, the buckle can be up to 1/4 of an inch wider than the belt itself.

• The holster is made from the same plain brown leather. There is one narrow strap to secure the blaster with a circular, silver snap to attach it.

• Two brown straps secure the holster to the belt and run to the buckle and the back-center of the belt respectively

Optional:

Jacket

• In place of a vest, a long sleeve red jacket may be worn

• The jacket should be looser fitting and of a similar shade of red to the vest

• (do you have ref? this is missing a lot of details)

DL-44

• If present, the blaster should be an exact replica of a DL-44

hair length ref i have

Aphra4.jpg

Is this the red jacket you speak of? Also this image shows the seamlines i was referring to in my original post

darth-vader-2015-3-aphra.jpg

Aphra-1.jpg

Back of Vest Ref

Aphra-2.jpg

Edited by Amidala

Reference i have for the front of the vest not doing a 45 degree turn. 

The only one that kinda does this is the one with the seam and quilting.

abbf790596db115343b1fbb9b8b2e9da.jpg

vest that does the turn

(but this is a different costume)

star-wars-13-preview-21.png

starwars13b.jpg

Edited by Amidala

Aphra's hair is black not really brown.  And her hair length has varied in comics. 

In reference to the jacket, shouldn't this be an optional requirement to the costume?  Not attached to the main CRL?  She doesn't always wear the red jacket.  She also is seen with the black and red jacket, but generally she is wearing her polo short sleeve shirt. 

Aphra's hair is black not really brown. And her hair length has varied in comics.

In reference to the jacket, shouldn't this be an optional requirement to the costume? Not attached to the main CRL? She doesn't always wear the red jacket. She also is seen with the black and red jacket, but generally she is wearing her polo short sleeve shirt.

Hello. I agree however Jacket is already listed as optional. All optionals are listed on the CRL below the required items.

Hair length can vary but we are looking at this varients costume only. Which appears to e shoulder lengh in the front and shoulder blade length in the back.

Aphra's hair is black not really brown. And her hair length has varied in comics.

In reference to the jacket, shouldn't this be an optional requirement to the costume? Not attached to the main CRL? She doesn't always wear the red jacket. She also is seen with the black and red jacket, but generally she is wearing her polo short sleeve shirt.

Hello. I agree however Jacket is already listed as optional. All optionals are listed on the CRL below the required items.

Hair length can vary but we are looking at this varients costume only. Which appears to e shoulder lengh in the front and shoulder blade length in the back.

Okay before you edited your post it looked like the jacket wasn't optional.  Thank you for the clarification. 

I think the OP put it as optional as well right? If not I completely think it should be. and yeah black hair foooorrr sure! :)

Sorry for the delay in replying. It's been a busy week.

For the hair, I think the length thing you want added is a little ridiculous. Bangs are easy enough to add/tweak but hair length? There are some CRLs where hair color isn't even specified.

It's been a very long time since I made the vest so I'll have to dig up reference later when I have my comics on hand. If I can't find it, the angle thing is a simple enough fix/edit. 

Tattoos: What I did for my sleeve was an approximation of hers. I drew the pattern while looking at multiple references. While you clearly disagree, I think that tattoos that look like hers are best for the CRL since again, this is a comic and the artwork changes constantly even with the same artist. And yes the sleeve can get pulled up high enough on me that you can't see where the lines stop as seen in the pictures of the costume I'd posted prior. 

Holster: I'm unsure what you mean regarding the leg strap? If it was any further down my leg, it'd be around my knee...

Pants: I disagree about making them denim. Mine aren't and I worry that noting denim within the CRL will make people think they can apply with standard jeans which they definitely should not be. 

howdy!! sorry i should have been more clear.. i was referring to the other strap.  Heres a draw over to where i think it should be laying.

Hope that helps to show ya what i meant

x7WjVVQ.jpg