• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sith Acolyte Build (Mynock's Den Armor)

norrecv

Hey all! Just got ahold of a Mynock kit - figured I would post some pics as I build. This kit is very detailed, Its scary cutting into it and buffing.... Well worth the wait though.

I have a couple of parts Im awaiting from Taras - the helmet back etc, but figured I would get moving as far as I could!

I trimmed and cut everything for the most part this weekend, and started the polishing.

Little clean up on the mask - some small resin bits throughout the lines and curves, nothing a hobby knife can't handle!:

20151122_1428061_zpss4cuolyx.jpg

Almost there! I have to airbrush in the black for the inset areas, then steel wool the raised areas:

20151122_161825_zpslri6yq2b.jpg

I went with the 220 grit sand paper followed by 000 and then 0000 steel wool. It didnt give me the gleam I wanted so went with some silver leaf Rub and Buff. That brought out a very metallic shine - almost too much... I will have to weather it down with some 0000 wool once I apply the acrylic wash...

Here is a before and after rub and buff - which one has been buffed? =P

20151122_154531_zpsyc71lmqs.jpg

Here is some progress from today:

20151122_160204_zps0d01lp1c.jpg

Here is some of the kit out of the box:

20151112_214856_zpsxznlvp19.jpg

Here is the mesk first run, I polished it, then airbrushed in the black on the insets, polished the raised area with steel wool to clean it up. The black isnt popping like i hoped - maybe another pass... There was a bit of weathering added to the shoulders via airbrush, and of course filled in the cog.

12295826_1215102908505736_667230175_o_zp

Looking great so far! For the mask I know Mynock spray painted the whole mask black and then rubbed it off on the raised part of the carvings leaving the painted black lower carvings (grooves) intact. I actually painted each line by hand with black acrylic. Took awhile and found out afterward what technique he used to paint it. I'm ordering the version 5 mask and back plate from him in January so I will use that method for the next one.

Love how the aluminum polishes up. Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It looks like a great kit but I have been emailing him for months with no response and its pissing me off. I need to order the legs only as I have everything made already. How much are his kits anyway? Yours is looking absolutely awesome.