• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Seventh Sister - SW Rebels Inquisitor

Nefthys

Everyone is going off of the show and the costumes that are pictured here or approved but none of them meet the CRL. They do not have the split in the back of the jacket, triangles above the knees nor is the inside of the helmet dome painted red. These are all requirements listed in the CRL.

The inside of the helmet being red I think is glare from certain scenes.

The triangles are not in every scene where you can see her knees.

It's a cartoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The inside of the helmet being red I think is glare from certain scenes.

The triangles are not in every scene where you can see her knees.

It's a cartoon.

The red in the helmet came from Dave's Design board of the Seventh Sister it states that the inner dome color is red. The Action figure has the triangles as well. 

I've never seen a crease in the leg armor. Is there a reference image you can share?

I just find this so odd that she wouldn't have armor on her leg, when the Grand inquisitor does.

As far as how strict this is, and the need to tell people to relax, we need to remember that the 501st does have standards. We aren't a casual level cosplay community. This is why we get the recognize ion that we do. As soon as we start relaxing and cutting corners, it is only downhill from there.

To expect to get an exact replication of a cartoon in real life is where the need to relax comes into play. You're not going to get 100% replication of a animation. Try to get as close as

possible, that's all you can do.

I absolutely agree, Crus. Detail is what made us the preferred costuming club (along with RL) for LFL and now Disney, and our charter states it with, "a costume that meets with the standards of ACCURACY, completeness, and quality of construction."

On the references, I'll post the YouTube link as soon as I can get to WiFi, but the concept art also shows it on the first pose with the right leg. Unlike the static poses next to it, the first pose shows movement from standing straight, and there is a protrusion in the back of the ankle to match the fold of the material that would happen when you spread your weight in the pose. Hard armor would not have the protrusion that is lacking in the other static poses.

Capture+_2017-01-20-15-28-27.png

There are multiple official references showing the triangles on the knees, which would carry it from "optional" to "required". If we are going to say we make accurate costumes, we can't pick and choose that accuracy. The Legion understands physical body points as something that doesn't match accuracy, but that doesn't include costume parts. Regardless of the physical stuff, the details are still present.

True. Being that this is a cartoon, we can't accurately source materials. Especially for fabric. That is where most of the leniency should come into play. But there should be a definitely answer as to whether a piece is hard or soft.

Trust me, I prefer a soft material because that's easier for me to replicate, as compared to making a hard piece of armor with no seams to slip a leg through. But if it is hard armor in the show, that's what it should be.

Proof of soft spat vs armor:

#1.

0:00- 0:03

I can't find the 4K quality version of this, but watch the video at .25 speed in 1080p. The leg piece extends all the way down the back of the boot, yet look at how she is sitting and how she jumps down to Ezra. Basic physiology and anatomy study would dictate that her ankle pivots and causes her heel to an angle that extends past the ankle in order to complete the basic action of jumping down from that surface. Now try to do that with a solid piece of armor that reaches from your knee to the bottom of your heel and see how much motion or mobility you have.

1.png

2.png

3.png

0:13-0:18

You can actually see the piece bend and bow with her natural leg motions while she walks around, same basic anatomy concept as above.

4.png

Yes, it is a cartoon, but being that they are Humanoid and follow basic movements and motions of humans, we can use our own knowledge of our anatomy to understand that the way the leg piece fits over the leg and the boot, she would not be able to do ANY of what she did in the video with a hard armor leg piece vs. a fabric spat.

Edited by DarthValkyria
  • Like 1

I'd just like to point out that this same cartoon *also* has Stormtrooper armor bending in places where it physically cannot bend at all period, such as at the mid torso and...the exact same point at the ankles. So I would take bending of what appears to otherwise be hard armor with a serious grain of salt, knowing that animation does not need to follow the same physics as physical bodies do. (I'd prefer it to be soft too. But I don't think it is. However, the CRL doesn't mention it, so it's still in question. I was going to make mine from Sintra or tooled leather, neither of which are flexible...)  The red inside the helmet isn't screen or saber glare, it's red tinted. And yes, there are triangles on the knees.  

Cheers,

Kaylan

I'd just like to point out that this same cartoon *also* has Stormtrooper armor bending in places where it physically cannot bend at all period, such as at the mid torso and...the exact same point at the ankles. So I would take bending of what appears to otherwise be hard armor with a serious grain of salt, knowing that animation does not need to follow the same physics as physical bodies do. (I'd prefer it to be soft too. But I don't think it is. However, the CRL doesn't mention it, so it's still in question. I was going to make mine from Sintra or tooled leather, neither of which are flexible...)  The red inside the helmet isn't screen or saber glare, it's red tinted. And yes, there are triangles on the knees.  

Cheers,

Kaylan

The CRL states 

• Boot covers begin at the ankle joint and are constructed from the same rigid material as the chest.

I'll make some last comments and I'm off this thread.

-Clone troopers also bend and move in the cartoon as noted as TK's. in the movies it's armor. Pick a lane and make it look like the cartoon. CRL doesn't matter as it's new and people are still working on making better details. (We are making improvements constantly)

-noted on the triangles on knees.Easy add and they are tonal black on black which is why you can see them sometimes and not other times. I'll add them to my wife's.

-leg armor. I think you can go either way as long as it looks good and proportionate to the cartoon. Isn't that what a CRL is? A guideline, not a definite rule.

-red inside helmet. It's so unnoticeable who cares. I have so many screen grabs and you can barely see it(same as triangles)Easy add though, but I prob won't do it.

-now to get to the uncomfortable part. To get this detailed about this then let's get detailed. Her clothing is skin tight. She is tiny. Everything is painted on. It's almost impossible to get this to look exactly like the cartoon.

Concentrate on the major details. Make it look awesome. As any new costume, there will be adjustments for accuracy. Be proud of your costume. Go troop for the kids.

People love my wife's Seventh Sister. There's only a few out there.

Good luck everyone!

0dc957bf054acf06edae58c709fba84d.jpg

Section 7: Costuming Standards Costume Reference Library (CRL)

The Costume Reference Library is a collection of visual guides intended to assist members and garrison membership liaisons in the creation and review of costumes. Both the library as a whole and individual entries in the library are commonly referred to as “CRLs."

CRLs are comprised of text and images that attempt to detail all components of the costume. Each CRL contains both the minimal requirements (listed in black) for a costume's approval and any additional information that may be of interest to people wishing to build a more accurate costume (listed in blue and red).

Edited by Shnnn116

Hello everyone. I wanted to tell you that I also worked on the CRL, like Maya. My costume has the triangles and so appeared in the CRL that I sent to the LMO. It´s in the current CRL but the picture does not have them. I think it is creating a confusion and there are many people who don´t put them. 

Yes, you must have them in yours.

The inside of the helmet is, of course, red too. I´ve got hundred of pics.

My jacket has no cut and I think it shouldn´t have it; it´s not necessary, although the CRL does not specify it.

On the boots cover, I did it because the CRL says it is rigid but in the photograph you can see clearly that it is leather or similar. 

I could prove it was a transcription error. I was told it´ll be corrected. Then I had the approval. 

Hugs

mg2FTdk.jpgiusR7cI.jpg

KCMvDwq.jpg

Ok I'm since there is some solid pics here instead of arguing.

Great reference of the red under the helmet. Thanks for this! I too just pulled a decent screen shot showing this but yours is much better.

I'll agree the knees have triangles, but they are obviously tonal from all examples given and from what I've seen everyone's are white.

Also I made my wife's gauntlets light up. Great addition, they defiantly light up in the show and look super cool. Single mini led, watch battery and tiny switch.

05d2cb6c26aec1744e97450b9026ebd3.jpg

6e3fef36fbaa18b2f867113b61e1209f.jpg

Howdy... Rigid can define leather. Soft leather is floppy and could easily be mistaken and then used. It should just be a material ,(leather, plastic, etc)that's not soft.

Hope that helps.

As with any launch of a CRL there will be changes. At the end of the day it's two things.

1. It's starwars they do that they want

2. It's a TV show which adds the extra layer of 'hey this doesn't conform to real life things".

The CRL in the end is a guide for gmls to judge. It's something to look at. I myself have made many changes in my own designs when making a costume and I simply provided reference.

At the end of the day...

If there are heavy changes yes that can be addressed at some point and worked on. However the CRL is a guide NOT a "this is how you make this'. It's a basic level of approval... we had a number of talks and deliberations when the CRL was being created and at the end of the day you as the costumer can and should use best discretion. Show your work and why you did what you did and show ref. You'll be OK.

Edited by Amidala
  • Like 1

True. Being that this is a cartoon, we can't accurately source materials. Especially for fabric. That is where most of the leniency should come into play. But there should be a definitely answer as to whether a piece is hard or soft. Trust me, I prefer a soft material because that's easier for me to replicate, as compared to making a hard piece of armor with no seams to slip a leg through. But if it is hard armor in the show, that's what it should be.

Good day! Yes. O don't know if you're persay were concerned over the following but I know I've gotten a few questions on hard pieces vs. soft.

When I started working to input the CRL into the system we decided that at the end of the day we looked at a lot of people's costumes and they looked very good as hard pieces and the folks who did soft parts of these same pieces tended to look like "cosplay" or even like "Halloween costumes" I hope this does not sound rude it's not meant to be. But at the end of the day the hard stuff looks legit, beatiful and well crafted.

Edited by Amidala

We are moving along with my wife's costume. We have the helmet and soft parts ordered from Max's sci-fi shop. Still in discussions and following individuals on the armor.

What boot brands did everyone buy? We are having a hard time finding them with out zippers or can we use the ones with zippers since the boot is covered?

Thanks.

We are moving along with my wife's costume. We have the helmet and soft parts ordered from Max's sci-fi shop. Still in discussions and following individuals on the armor. What boot brands did everyone buy? We are having a hard time finding them with out zippers or can we use the ones with zippers since the boot is covered? Thanks.

I bought these boots from Amazon as my basic boot. The spats cover the 'elasticy' areas nicely and they are pretty comfy (for me :) ).