• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Seventh Sister - SW Rebels Inquisitor

Nefthys

Greetings, 

I figured I would get a thread going on my newest costume endeavor: The Seventh Sister Inquisitor. This will be a background build, meaning I'll be working on it when I have free time from my other costume commitments. So I have no idea how often I'll be updating here or a specific date in mind to have it done for. But I am excited for this costume! I loved seeing the Seventh Sister in action in the latest episode of Rebels, and knew I just had to make her outfit someday. 

For now, some reference pics! 

Seventh-Sister1.jpg

star-wars-rebels-season-2-seventh-sister-inquisitor.jpg

Cheers,

Nef

Guest i.Chimaera

I love how creepy she is! And she's Mirialan! And I love her comment to Fifth Brother, it suggests we are going to perhaps see some future conflict between the two :)

I'm working on this one too - it's going to take me a bit because I'll have to teach myself how to work with Sintra and find the proper matching fabrics for her, plus make time in between the costumes for my kids and a couple of my commissions. But I'm hoping to make good progress on her in the near future! (I work slow because of health issues, I feel you on the car accident.) 

If you'd like I can forward you my reference pic collection and description writeup that I've got so far...Or post it here. 

SithRose you are welcome to post any reference here if you like. That way if anyone else is wanting to do this costume we have lots of information in one place. :) 

Nice picture Thomas! 

I was able to sew together some Jawa robes on the weekend, so the injuries are healing. Still can't do any very fine detail stuff, but the Jawa costume is very forgiving with bad stitching, hahaha. 

Cheers,

Deez

Well, I uploaded all of the reference images I've saved - I seem to have missed saving the boot closeup that I found, though. I put them all in http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/album/165-seventh-sister-reference-pictures/  for anyone else to find easily. 

Here's my working design guide so far. While everything *appears* to be dark charcoal grey in almost every shot, there is one reference picture which shows the chest armor as black. I'm still debating on the sleeves and pants being a body suit with a tunic or a tunic and pants with a tight-fitting undershirt/wimple tucked into the tunic neck - it's difficult to tell with the animation style of Rebels. I'd personally prefer to go with a sleeved tunic and pants, as it's more consistent in comparison with the animation styles of Imperial officer uniforms. It may also be easier to have the triangles of the wimple be black makeup rather than fabric, as those are going to be difficult to maintain in place.    

Helmet: The helmet is a pointed, back-curved semi-gloss material, with a burgundy lining. It is dark charcoal grey, with four bright red diagonal lines on the front of the helmet and a light grey D-ring at the center front above the forehead. It has several visible lines embossed into it. 

Wimple: This covers the entire head, with a triangular point extending onto the face below the cheekbones and under the chin. It has seven slightly ridged or pleated lines extending up from the chest armor, with the bottom three curved in a wide U shape. It is a slightly lighter charcoal grey than the armor. 

Makeup: Sallow yellow skin with red-rimmed eyes and black eyebrows extending down to the sides of the bridge of the nose. There is a diagonal line with a slight flare in the center extending from the inner eye to the cheekbone. Below that line, there are four dots going down the cheek to between the mouth and nose. There are two dots on the chin, and two dots visible outside of the wimple on the cheekbone at the outer side of the face. There is also a just-visible red line above the brows, lining up with the line on the face. Lipstick is a yellowish dark red - sorry, I can't think of the name for that specific color. 

Chest armor: This extends to the mid-torso, just below the sternum. It is dark charcoal grey or possibly black, semi-gloss or glossy. There are grey lines along the front and side front, a bright red raised line diagonal to the body about 2 inches above the center on each side, and two light grey horizontal stripes on each front shoulder. The shoulder edges are raised in a curve that starts at the side front grey line. The back has a ridged, raised circle on the center back with a curved indentation inside. I'm still working out numbers on the back ridges - it's hard to find a reference pic for that one. The bottom is embossed with a line about a half inch above the end of the armor all the way around. 

Tunic: The tunic is long-sleeved, tulip-fronted and slightly flared at the bottom, and burgundy lined. It fastens on the left side, and goes to the mid upper thigh. There are two horizontal light grey stripes on the bottom side, both sides, with two dots above them. There is also a single grey stripe at the fastening line on the lower edge, and a black line along the side front that extends only to the belt. The off-center join is on the left side, and is just above the thigh joint. The Imperial Insignia is on both shoulders of the tunic. It is slightly weathered. 

Pants: Snug-fitting pants matching the tunic material. There are black diamonds pointing downwards at each knee, and the outer side seams have red stripes down the leg. The pants blouse slightly at the upper edge of the shin guards. 

Bracers: Semi-gloss dark charcoal grey armor, matching the helmet and chest armor, extending from the wrist to just below the elbow. The bracers have a lighter charcoal raised pad on it in the center forearm, with three "coin-slot" divots and a bright red stripe. 

Gloves: There is a rectangular armor piece on the back of the hand - this could be a seam, but it looks more like the same armor material as the bracers embedded into the glove . The gloves are the same dark charcoal grey as the armor, with pointed finger tips. The palms of the gloves are burgundy. 

Belt: Semi-gloss black leather or leather-like material, with an irregular diamond shaped buckle in light grey. I'm not sure if the buckle is metallic, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be. The right side has a raised grey pad about an inch from the buckle, with two bright red buttons, two horizontal coin slot divots, and I *think* it has two light grey buttons on the other side of the coin slots. On the left, the lower curve goes around the upper thigh from the buckle to the back, just to the left of the center back. It has a grey (metallic?) clip at the bottom of the curve that should allow a lightsaber attachment. 

Lower leg armor: Glossy or semi-glossy charcoal grey, with a curve going from 2-3 inches above the front ankle to mid-foot. This appears to be a separate piece from the boot itself as far as I can tell. I can't get a good reference view of the back of this piece, but I think it would be easier to do it separate from the actual boot.  

Boot: No more than a 1 inch heel with slightly pointed toes. A widening red stripe goes around the boot above the heel and angles slightly down to end just before the widest part of the foot. There is a visible angled black line line from the tip of the red stripe to the widest part of the foot. 

Lightsaber: A full circle with intricate designs on one side. There are two points flaring off the circle at quarters from the location of the lightsaber, curved on one side and straight angled on the other. The lightsaber attaches on the other side of the circle from the designs, and has two curved brace points inside the circle. A half-circle is shown in several pictures, with the lightsaber as the straight line - the saber is single-bladed if there is a half-circle. Theoretically the saber is supposed to be able to rotate within the circle, but frankly, I don't have the mechanical skills to pull that off myself. 

With a new up and coming vendor beginning pre orders for this helmet, I have begun this build for my girlfriend and directed here by SithRose.

Has anyone yet acquired any of the armor pieces? Or is everyone fabricating their own? im not handy on the sewing side, so the soft armor is going to be the most difficult part.

Also, I have messaged the Arthammer LARP workshop to inquire about a commission for the armor pictured above. I'll let everyone know what they say on Monday when they said they'd reply. I guess not everyone works the day after Christmas, I need a new job LOL :P

With a new up and coming vendor beginning pre orders for this helmet, I have begun this build for my girlfriend and directed here by SithRose.

Has anyone yet acquired any of the armor pieces? Or is everyone fabricating their own? im not handy on the sewing side, so the soft armor is going to be the most difficult part.

I'm likely going to do Sintra or Kydex over EVA padding for the bracers and shinguards. I have to get in touch with the local (Dune Sea) garrison members to see if anyone nearby can give me a hand with the chestpiece - if not, I'll likely do the same with the chestpiece for durability and comfort. I plan to adapt several different patterns for the tunic and pants - I'll make sure to provide pattern numbers for the ones I use when I do my build log, and notes on what I changed. The wimple will need a more custom pattern, with those lines along the neck, and the gloves can be done with a standard glove pattern if we use kidskin suede. (Sewing and leatherworking are my specialties - I'm going to be doing some learning on the go for the armor.) The control pads will probably be resin-cast or 3D printed if I can teach myself enough 3D printing to do that. I'd like to put lighting and pressable buttons in them if possible - I'm sure I can do the lighting, but the buttons will be tougher. The belt is a pretty simple piece of tooled and dyed leather, but I suspect that finding a functional buckle of the right shape may be a bit tricky. And the lightsaber...is going to be probably the trickiest part if I can't manage to teach myself 3D modeling and printing for the circle part. (I want to make the saber hilt removable so I can replace it with something more than a show hilt later one if I can ever afford to.) 

Bear in mind that I'm still building up 501st contacts too - I'm not even a member yet! This will be my first 501st costume. :) 

Cheers,

Kaylan 

My wife is getting started on this as well! 

Good luck with your build and I will post info as we discover on here.

image_zpseqjvceeu.gif

The disney version of this character is too baggy. The helmet and armor are awesome, but I think the rest of the suit needs to be tighter. The saber is going to be challenging. 

image_zps6u3dyvbt.jpeg

I've added quite a few reference photos to the Seventh Sister album - all of the new additions are screen captures from the show. Most of them focus on the back armor, bracer details, and boots. I agree that the Disney version's tunic is too baggy, and her bracers are also too short and too loose. The difficulty of the saber is partially dependent on whether or not it has a blade and sound. I'm not sure it's *possible* to do the full screen accurate version of the saber with blades where the circle spins around the center hilt and the emitters for the blades are fixed to the circle. I don't know if you can make the blades secure enough to make them even close to sparring capable. (We won't get into whether it's even possible in Star Wars physics to *make* a lightsaber with an emitter that spins independently around the center crystals...) I know it's going to take more technical expertise than I have, and I'd suggest that the half-circle fixed saber or a full circle bladeless or bladed saber that does not spin should be approvable.  

I'm currently working with the designer on https://www.etsy.com/listing/261281732/seventh-sister-sith-inquisitor-swr?ref=hp_mod_rfto refine the design and make it more screen accurate - he's also a 501st member in the Old Line Garrison, and we're both planning on running the final design past our respective GMLs (and probably the GMO) before he releases it. 

Awesome Ill check those out. 

I think I have a base for the saber made form TCSS parts and going to possibly 3d print the "circle" and attach to the hilt. It should be a fully functioning hilt and saber if I can make it correctly. 

I am thinking about tackling the chest armour out of worbla or the 3mm sintra. They will have the best malleability to get the right curves. For the ridges on the shoulders, I see those as part of the chest armour piece, not as padding on the tunic's shoulders. What do you think?  

Until someone makes a nice ABS pull of the armor, Im thinking Worbla or sintra are also the best option for the chest. Not to mention that the armor looks very close to the inner arm pit area. If that was stiff, it could leave some nasty armor bites. I've never used either of these materials, so a tutorial will definitely be on my to do list lol

Im seeing the ridges as part of the chest armor as well. While they look like foam padding on the Disney armor, I think it should be a material matching the chest armor.

The shoulder ridges are part of the armor, definitely. Every screenshot I've pulled has them with the same reflective quality as the rest of the armor. I'm seeing an over the head armor with underarm and side straps, solid over the shoulders. With the V neck, it should be doable that way. We're going to have to widen the armholes a bit because of physics, I think - just like the bracers will need a tiny adjustment in tightness to make buckling them possible. An ABS pull would be lovely, but with the head and armhole fit, it might actually wind up being as much work to adjust after the pull as Sintra would be from scratch.

Kaylan

Sorry im at work and it wont let me "quote" you properly. So hopefully you still see this in a timely manner lol

Im glad you pointed out the "how do I put this on" topic. I was thinking about that earlier and looking at reference pics to see where we could fit a seam to open it. Your idea seems to be the best. its basically the same way the Phase 2 clone trooper armor works. Its solid on the shoulders and goes over head like a sweater. It velcros on the sides and has inset plastic so its still flush and looks seamless. Because it is ABS, it is challenging and ive had some spots crack. I did reinforce them once they cracked with scrap plastic and bondo. Im thinking about doing this chest in EVA after looking at all options. Seems it would be the best to work with. Just going to have to use high heat glue so it doesn't melt easily. I've never worked with EVA, but I assume it is more forgiving and flexible than ABS or sintra would be.

Definitely going to need to make it proportionate for REAL bodies, not animated ones lol I think the Disney version did a very good job of that though and can be a good reference.

The bracers can easily be opened and closed with an inside hinge. It would allow you to make it form fitting once the hinge has been closed.

From my experience with EVA, you're going to want to resin-coat or fiberglass EVA foam for it to be sturdy enough for trooping - modge podge and plasti-dip aren't going to hold up overly well to a kid hugging you. Your paint will crinkle and crack. That's why I'm planning on Sintra over EVA - that and I want extra padding in certain areas! Some help with the inside hinge or links to proven good how tos would be golden, I'm doing those out of Kydex over 2mm EVA and I've not a clue how to do the hinge.

I'm using the Imperial officer CRL guides for the fabric - a gabardine weave (or 2/1 twill), but it's proving a mite tricky to find a good color match to the charcoal she wears. I found a slate grey wool on eBay that I'm going to look into next month (can't until then), though. I'm REALLY torn between using a microsuede lining on the tunic to make sure it matches the gloves and using a sateen cotton lining. I think it's going to depend on what fabric type I wind up with - wool is going to require a thicker lining than a cotton twill for me. Fortunately, the Rit burgundy dye is a very close match from my previous usage of it, so that possibility isn't ruled out.

If I find a good red twill tape or wide middy braid for the pants, I'll post source!

Kaylan

From my experience with EVA, you're going to want to resin-coat or fiberglass EVA foam for it to be sturdy enough for trooping - modge podge and plasti-dip aren't going to hold up overly well to a kid hugging you. Your paint will crinkle and crack. That's why I'm planning on Sintra over EVA - that and I want extra padding in certain areas

Yea that's true. I chose EVA because I've never used any of these and it seemed the easiest to learn with. Maybe I'll make it out of EVA to start and then add resin so I can make it as a base cast. Once I get it how I like it, I can shape the sintra over it easily as well.

I'll have to look in to the gauntlets. I know what I'm talking about in my head, but need references to explain it better lol I'll do some searching around.

I've only worked with EVA out of the lot of them myself, and the foam I used was a lighter grade. But it's a known issue with EVA without a fairly time-consuming level of treatment.

For the tunic fastener down the side front, I'm looking at industrial strength velcro with metal hook and eye reinforcing to make sure that the velcro isn't visible. The cowl itself...well, either we make it of a stretch material and it won't need a fastener, or we could use a non stretch material and fasten it up the back of the neck. The former is easier to fit and more comfortable for wearing, as well as more accurate to screen. The latter is easier to do the cheek and chin triangles with, and to match colors more closely. I'm personally leaning towards the former myself, with 2 MM EVA craft foam interfacing in the triangles - it can be machine washed and reshaped with a hairdryer or medium iron after washing. (I use it for stand up collars on kids' cloaks, this is tested.)

Kaylan

We are trying to tackle this costume right now, the chest armor is quite a challenge.  Some extra bulk is kinda unavoidable, like the Disney costume as the one in the show is unrealistic in that it's pretty much form fitting and seems to flex with her (same with some clone wars armor where it flexes as if it was fabric in some scenes).  Also no seams on the armor.  Having seen the disney one live, it seems like it could be a rubber like material almost and not hard plastic as it seemed to also move.  EVA foam is great, but the stiffer stuff is kinda too bulky we think.  Anything under 3/8" and the foam gets way to weak feeling.... still considering using 3/8th foam, with beveling the edges to try and make it look thinner.  7th sister "armor" is very very thin.

Picking up sintra as well to play with.

For the 7th sister leg covers, we think just EVA foam created wraps will work fine, the chest is the most challenging part we think though.

Also we do 3D design commissions for 3D printers, so we've gone and made up 3D files to print the belt buckle and squarish greebles, we can post these up for sale soon

Edited by PanzerKraken

I'm planning on using .7mm Kydex over 2mm EVA for the bracers and shin guards. It's thin enough to be really flexible, but it's a nice sturdy material. For the chest, my current plan is 2mm Sintra over 1/4 inch EVA, molding over a plaster form based on a life cast. If you're modelling the bracer and belt greeblies, I might want to talk about a set for myself - I'm a fabric specialist, I'm expecting to need two or three tries on the armor bits. (I've budgeted for learning resin casting for those at present - I've done sand casting with metal, so I know the base theory...) I was going to do a 2mm Kydex overlay on an existing belt buckle to reshape the exterior, but if you can print a functional one that'll be adjustable and hide the excess under the main belt, that'd be lovely too. At the moment I'm unable to access my computer - it's having random shutdown issues - so forgive any awkward formatting!

Kaylan

The current belt idea we had was to make it really non functional as the way it hangs and sits is not very practical, so the buckle we imagined to just sit on on the leather like material.  But these are works in progress, we will probably have them up on shapeways once we scale them to how we like for sale.

We are also working on modeling the saber parts... essentially the idea is to use a simple saber from one of the various saber makers, and 3D printing parts that will go over ther saber, kinda like slotting the saber into it.  Basics on that are done but we need to get a saber first to test fit and can then work on details.