• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mara Jade in progress

stephiejune4

Hello! So I have begun my Mara journey with simple things I had and could make. I am in the process of doing upgrades when I can and looking forward to applying to 501st once I'm done (well I guess we're never truly done in costuming lol).  :)

What materials do you use for cloaks and cowls?

- Stephanie

Guest i.Chimaera

Hello! Welcome to the Jade costuming fun :)

For my tan cowl and gloves I used a very fine sknit faux suede. It washes well and makes the gloves and cowl match perfectly. The cowl I did in two layers to give it body as well :) I'm hoarding every last scrap I can of it as I used it for my Rachi Sitra pants and fitted tunic and for a few other random bits and pieces. I'm also always happy to grab extra yardage for others if I ever find an ideal fabric :)

Speaking of which, in Australia and NZ (and Singapore I believe) the Spotlight stores have a fabric section and in there is a matte surfaced foil coated stretch lycra/spandex fabric that would be ideal for Mara's bodysuit. The matte surface means it is not shiny despite the name :) It's about $NZ30/m 150cm wide. So a full width fabric.

I'm looking at redoing my own with some more MJ Trends fabric. Their matte stretch vinyl has a slight leather surface that stretches out when worn. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152848399724189&set=a.10152848395469189.1073741834.804284188&type=3&permPage=1 it's the bodysuit here, the sleeves are faux the rest of the leather is real. So it blends in very well. It a lot cheaper than the foil stuff but is a better quality.