• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Asajj Ventress WIP - Clone Wars (Dropped Cold By Dooku Version)

seraph213

Hello all. 

New member here (SL 93051 Darth Traya)! I am starting work on a Ventress costume, and will be using the pivotal episode of the Clone Wars when Dooku tells Ventress she is no longer his apprentice, and leaves her for dead... and then the epic ensuing fight with Anakin and Obi Wan aboard the burning starship. :)

The fight during the episode in question, which I'm sure most (if not all) of you are familiar with:

The costume:

R71gsoU.jpg

I've so far started to put together a muslin pattern for the costume, and will probably be buying fabrics soon. I will be seeking 501st approval.

My questions are, if any of you can help:

What type of fabric do you think the skirt should be made from? Some sort of chenille? It seems to have a sort of texture to it, for sure.

I'm considering making the neckpiece and wristlets out of lambskin leather. I've worked with it a ton and it seems the right texture. Thoughts?

Footwear. It looks like she has rounded toed brown boots on under the skirt. Anyone have any other thoughts on that?

Looking for any and all input here as there is no current CRL for the version of the costume I'm making and I want to take appropriate measures to ensure I get approved with as few "do overs" as possible. ;)

Hello. This costume (with some tweaks to be in the animation) is the Asajj Ventress: Attack of the Clones Concept version she wore in the Comics, and was the basis for the sideshow collectible, latter here in the animation, etc.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:Ventress_concept 

Certainly don't want do overs. Feel free and post questions here and either my husband (on the Legion membership team) or I will help if we can.

• Like 1

My concern is the sabers, mainly. In the animated series she uses the squared hilts, but in that CRL she has some... spiral-y looking ones with angled emitters. I've commissioned the squared hilted to be made, as they go with the animated version in the pic/episiode above (and I'm not overly fond of the ones in the CRL). I'm assuming that's fine?

Also, the neckpiece here is different in that it doesn't go out so far to the shoulders, along with the brown/beige colour scheme instead of black/white.

I just want to make sure i'm doing things right. From what I have gathered so long as the adaptation is canon and viewable from 360 degrees for reference, it's fine. Is that correct? 

I just want to be sure these variations are ok. My main issue is I am covered in a ton of tattoos so I generally have to go with versions of costumes that have more coverage, and the other Clone Wars version just wouldn't work in that regard. :(

Thank you so much for being a resource for this.. it's immensely valuable to have your input. ;)

The variation to sabers and tattoos are fine. The CRL is LadyB. The sabers and tattoos matched what Asajj was at the time.

We know the fellow making your sabers. If you want to do the squarish ones that is fine. If you want to match some of the original reference that is fine too.

Also, the neckpiece here is different in that it doesn't go out so far to the shoulders, along with the brown/beige colour scheme instead of black/white.

The neck piece was bigger/smaller every time she appeared. Sometimes it matched this, others it went over the shoulder. Take care if using leather, it will be very restrictive. Something soft/flexible would be best. 

The colour scheme is grey and black. Lighting on the 3d model shouldn't be taken into consideration. If you wanted the darker grey to be a touch warm that is fine, but it is not brown/beige,

Guest i.Chimaera

It's considerably different. I've already posted to a whole pile of references in my own thread and really they really are very different. Every single part is designed for the series. And designed for every angle as a 3D model, not a single sketch. COnmapre the sketch for the red nightsister to how that was developed for Mother Talzin. You'd not consider them interchangeable.

http://www.arrayedindreams.com/media-costumes/star-wars/asajj-ventress/

The horizontal lines are in totally different places (on the grey not black parts), the belt is a different design, the tattoos are not the same as the concept but her CW ones, the boots are very specific given she winds up in her bodysuit for a large portion of the time. 

• Like 1

The variation to sabers and tattoos are fine. The CRL is LadyB. The sabers and tattoos matched what Asajj was at the time.

We know the fellow making your sabers. If you want to do the squarish ones that is fine. If you want to match some of the original reference that is fine too.

The neck piece was bigger/smaller every time she appeared. Sometimes it matched this, others it went over the shoulder. Take care if using leather, it will be very restrictive. Something soft/flexible would be best. 

The colour scheme is grey and black. Lighting on the 3d model shouldn't be taken into consideration. If you wanted the darker grey to be a touch warm that is fine, but it is not brown/beige,

======================================================================== I dont know why this didnt quote properly...

Well if that's the case then I think the fabric I have for the skirt is fine. I had started with black, but the outfit genuinely doesn't look like it in the series, and like I said I was concerned with the lightsabers... but if all that's fine then I will continue on with the style from the series, in grey and black.

After seeing the pics on Chimera's blog, the belt does look similar... but seems to be missing that "T" junction of straps in the back.

I use this particular leather that I'm planning to use here in a lot of my costumes and with fabric backing, it's really fantastic stuff. Super thin and very soft lamb's skin.

This is all so confusing. Silly Ventress... why must you be so fashion forward?? :D

It's considerably different. I've already posted to a whole pile of references in my own thread and really they really are very different. Every single part is designed for the series. And designed for every angle as a 3D model, not a single sketch. COnmapre the sketch for the red nightsister to how that was developed for Mother Talzin. You'd not consider them interchangeable.

http://www.arrayedindreams.com/media-costumes/star-wars/asajj-ventress/

The horizontal lines are in totally different places (on the grey not black parts), the belt is a different design, the tattoos are not the same as the concept but her CW ones, the boots are very specific given she winds up in her bodysuit for a large portion of the time. 

Oh yes, and what about the tattoos? They are definitely different. One's the triangles and the other is the iconic Clone Wars version.

Skirt is essentially done. (Easy part out of the way!) Don't mind the lint. There's a wide elastic band hidden within the top and it sits perfectly when on. It also is rather flowing when moving, but not too extravagantly so... and it's very comfortable. :)

Now to find a suitable black bodysuit and get to work on the top.

D5XPbnQ.jpg