• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Single episode Clone Wars classic outfit- WIP

Guest i.Chimaera

Guest i.Chimaera

This is revealing issues that I knew would pop up like how the cuffs of the shirt are too big and I need to see if I can do something different with my boots (I have an idea, I have the materials and options. Anyway:

WIN_20151126_12_35_07_Pro-225x300.jpg WIN_20151126_12_35_27_Pro-214x300.jpg WIN_20151126_12_35_17_Pro-175x300.jpg

WIN_20151126_12_31_51_Pro-165x300.jpg WIN_20151126_12_32_01_Pro-272x300.jpg

WIN_20151126_12_34_57_Pro-233x300.jpg WIN_20151126_12_35_37_Pro-189x300.jpg

The hip pieces need trimming to taper more finely to the waist and I really do want to change my boots to allow the greaves to fit more closely over the ankles. So a little more work to go there:) 

My hardware has been all painted and sealed so is ready to go on, I need to tidy and prep the leather first. And I do want to put another colour wash over the torso to blend the lines a bit more. And make the white lines also show up more- I used auto adjust to deepen the colours on these photos so they disappeared, some cameras will do that anyway so I want to try and avoid that anyway.

ETA_ everything is taped on, testing the fit so I can get the proper fastening sin the right places :)

Edited by i.Chimaera

Guest i.Chimaera

https://www.facebook.com/michaela.de.bruce/videos/10154531468315620/

This shows the neutral grey paint mix going on the wait piece. I had to apply a three step colour wash over all my leather and faux leather today to make them all tone in as one.

So there is a transluscent mix of "earth brown" and "carbon black" fw in resolene and water (in fact bottled water because that's what I had on hand) 

My main leather is nicely neautral grey tinted when sanded, the faux leather heads towarss a grey-blue, and the russet for the waist went a very different colour indeed.

So all leather has been scuffed so that I could use Resolene as my paint base.

Resolene is used to seal and create a semi gloss on leather. It's acrylic based and it works beautifully on faux leather as well. The one caveat I have with the stuff is it loves to form bubbles so applying it requires a deft hand :)

wpid-dsc_5900.jpg

I have kept it as subtle as i can as i obviously am not fully shaped like the model, but this way there is room to move simple-smile.png

wpid-dsc_5903.jpg

This is a bit washed out, but i have a straight clear wash i can go over now that these are all even.

wpid-dsc_5899.jpg

Yep, the boots have been washed it helps make the necessary join be disguised.

wpid-dsc_5897.jpg

the photos on the mannequin are further back in my workroom than the greaves and bracers. Once everything is cured I'll put them all in the same lighting conditions to see how they look under different conditions.

Guest i.Chimaera

23494082182_c9615b59ca_n.jpg 23565952886_7f8108e0d4_n.jpg
Bald caps as they arrive are very slick. So I wound up stippling five layers of latex over to create a surface that will not just shine but will also hold paint smiley.gif These patterns have just had a layer of latex stippled over them, so I can wipe away excess pigment with a soft cloth and water and then use more paint and latex to tidy the details smiley.gif It's very warm right now so the latex is destroying brushes faster than I can paint with!

23307336270_bb32996818_n.jpg 23508336872_df566ddc2e_n.jpg
The hilts finally assembled and ready for the side struts- oh, these are a pain! If I had've been able to trust my self I would have modeled them while making the 3d models, but these knitting needles hold shape but are easy to cut and bend the very ends to hook around the curves of the hilt- yes, for some reason these struts are placed not on the flat sides but right up where the hilt curves in to the next plane. great.

Oh the red switch? I noticed it looks a little translucent in the close ups I have grabbed so I cut them from a red plastic that lets a tiny bit of light through. I cut a peg basically wink.gif A peg held in a vice, hand sawed the flat oval off the end, shaped and sanded 

Guest i.Chimaera

Thank you :) I am uploading my photos from today now :) My butt was saved by a very amazing, and very cheap blender/contour brush. It literally erased some gunk that settled due to my PA being a bit old. I didn't realise that it really was quite old- it might be the reason why my eyelashes won't stay on either (I haven't had to do a good bald cap application in a while so I thought it was my new astigmatisn which has changed my eyeball shape!)

Currently very gummy from cleaning the PA off, and I now need to buy a whole lot of new brushes to replace the ones I have ruined in getting my hilts and make up done :)

Guest i.Chimaera

It took a couple of hours due to a few technical issues on my site! So here are a few photos from my series of photos sent to my GML.

sm_DSC_1370-510x968.jpg

sm_DSC_1361-510x481.jpg

sm_DSC_1365-510x904.jpg

sm_DSC_1302-135x300.jpg sm_DSC_1305-151x300.jpg sm_DSC_1307-177x300.jpg sm_DSC_1310-147x300.jpg

Guest i.Chimaera

23738576685_4853dd0e2f_o.jpg

23442878910_798e11f160_o.jpg

Whoops, now you all know my secret pointy ear- the reverse of an elf! Actually it makes prosthetic ears very difficult to make and wear :) I need som medical tape to hold that wee point in to shape. Anyway, that ear is just covering the little triangles at the base of the neck :)

Also it is a very humid few days of summer again and was very lucky to get the photos I did as everything is wilting :) 

Guest i.Chimaera

Thank you :) Due to some technical hiccoughs and time zone issues I think this is only just with the GMLs now, and we have our TFA premiere tonight so I won't be getting to wear her for a very long time with the 501st as that will be our last event for.. well months. In my city at least. I don't know why, our troopers are keen usually but we have very few opportunities :)

In fact I'm debating doing the early event or just going to the midnight premiere and getting lots of photos in interesting places before XD

Guest i.Chimaera

sm-DSC_0020-180x300.jpg sm-DSC_0014-231x300.jpg

I got a lovely little pin to commemorate the evening as well :) But this shows the texture of the skirt better. It behaves very well under different light but looks lovely and smooth in person. 

Guest i.Chimaera

Unfortunately the process for approval has been much like this thread- a lot of interest,and a lot of people reading (I get to see this in my site stats) but only a few people have said anything to me for months.

Edited by i.Chimaera

Guest i.Chimaera

I understand someone was curious about my work. Please just ask me. Message, reply, I have links all over to my website. I'm not hard to get hold of :)

Guest i.Chimaera

I am so sorry for all the dead image links! My website was hacked- well my Wordpress was. I now have extra security for my hosting and wordpress :) Let's hope I never lose my phone! But it's taking a long time to rebuild as I have to link to photographers for each off site image and some of them have also disappeared. The text and a few images are still available through the Way Back Machine :) 

Anyway:

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:Ventress_CW_Betrayed

I still am not entirely sure exactly who put things where but I know Dawn was doing the grunt work with me to decide on terms and hacking at my original text like copyeditors in a newspaper! I think Michael had access to add it to the Database? And we CC'ed everyone who needed to tell us to hold or go at every stage. I'm very happy we wound up with something that not only is easy to follow but allows for some variation in specifics to allow future Betrayed Ventress's to make the costume work with them. I have another option I am trialing for all future bodysuits with no obvious closures ;)

I'm going to be sharing my buckle files on Thingiverse :) I got addicted to 3D printing :) I just am worried about commercial interests as I have had patterns used this way before. Which is unfair as I have shared my patterns for free because I want people to have more options not less.