• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Brakiss

Guest Emerita

Our newest member, DarthXanthus has contacted me with questions about this EU character. I told him to come here. Darth Brakiss has a good write up in all the places I have looked. I have yet to find many reference pictures. I will tell him I started this thread and hopefully someone here will know the right direction in which he should go......

thanks, Em.

While Brakiss has made quite a few appearances in the novels, I don't recall very many image references for him. He has a really good full-body image in the New Essential Guide to Characters, but the other images I know of are just upper body. I don't think there are enough reference pictures for Brakiss to be accepted as a 501st character. If someone can find enough reference images (front and back, full body), then we can move forward with applying for 501st membership with him... but if there are not enough images, well, the costume can still be made just for fun!

Pam :-)

Guest DarthXanthus

The question I have is how much greif will I get for "just for fun" costumes? I can easily do an imperial officer, as they also have a nice outfit, but I ask this. If there were countless Jedi and Dark Jedi, as well as Stormtroopers, why not allow a documented Jedi/dark Jedi robe on a nameless Jedi/dark Jedi? Now I do wish to do a character that can be documented, but that is not all I wish to do. The stormtrooper uniform is documented for all those that wish to wear it, but why not the jedi robes? Just a thought. now how many images of random human Jedi can i find in SW Episode 2?

All kidding aside however, any images that I can get other than the 2 I found on Wookeepedia would be helpful.

Hmmm...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone get any grief over making a just-for-fun costume. I have, in fact, seen them be encouraged, complimented, and appreciated. There's a lot more to the costuming community and our costumes than just those costumes that we create in order to join a particular group. I get just as many compliments for the costumes that I made up myself as I do for my costumes made to match recognizable characters. If you like something, make it. Even if it's not 501st eligible, it'll still be a blast to wear at cons. If you want to join a particular costuming group, then you buckle down and make one of the costumes that they accept. If you want to branch out more on your own time, then do so. I doubt you'd ever regret it.

Yup, there are lots of random Jedi in Episode 2... that's why lots of us in the Rebel Legion love our Jedi costumes! (Ahhh.... comfy!)

As for what is or isn't accepted in the 501st, that's where you get into both politics and a simple goal of striving for quality in our costuming. We cannot make a truly accurate costume if we don't have enough references to draw from. The politics come into play because there are greatly varying viewpoints in the legion. Some are purists who want only movie cannon costumes. Some are perfectionists who want to use only those costumes that can be thoroughly researched and referenced. Others are EU enthusiasts who want to bring in even the most obscure costumes from every comic panel or game scene. We find a balance by allowing EU costumes, but only if they can be referenced with at least three good full-body images from multiple sources. I think it's a fair compromise between the different viewpoints.

I'll keep an eye out for more pictures for you, but so far those found on the wookiepediea page are the only ones that I currently have on hand.

Pam :-)

I am wondering about the books and games. Surely they have to have some different positions. I know Traya was brought here through pictures from the game that someone downloaded.

That is why I did my Imperial officer first to get admitted. Now I am having fun doing Traya. I can take my time, do the pics exactly and have fun at the cons. I am also doing a dark generic Jedi just for fun. I am also thinking about doing another EU Sith Lady in the coming year.

SO, if you have a copy of the Knights of the Old Republic game with Brakiss, or a book you can get still pics from that and down load them for references. It can be time comsuming but well worth it. You will be the first one....

Guest DarthXanthus

As I recall he is from the New Jei Order timeframe.

I have ut and pasted the contents of that page hre so folks do not have to travel thre o read it.

__________________________http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Brakiss______________________________

Early life

Brakiss was born on Msst, to his mother. As a baby, he was discovered by agents of the Empire to be Force-sensitive. After passing enough tests to save his life, he was taken from his family and brainwashed into serving the Inquisitorius.

[edit] Jedi Praxeum

Ordered by the Inquisitorius to infiltrate the Jedi Praxeum on Yavin 4, Brakiss became one of the first trainees of Luke Skywalker and aided in the defeat of Exar Kun. Skywalker, who knew the reason why Brakiss was there, tried to turn him to the light numerous times. After three years at the Praxeum, Brakiss underwent an ordeal to face the darkness in his own soul, during which he saw the darkest parts of himself and fled, psychologically scarred by the incident.

Brakiss returned to Msst and reported in to his supervisors, but only under the condition that he live in peace from then on in. Deeming Brakiss of little use now that his mind was not whole, they agreed. Brakiss then left Msst again to find his own path. He then made his way to the droid foundries of Telti, to heal and recuperate.

[edit] Almanian Uprising

Kueller and Brakiss during the Almanian Uprising.But in 17 ABY, under the influence of another fallen Jedi of Skywalker's academy, Dolph, he fell fully to the dark side. Dolph, now known as Kueller, and Brakiss attempted to overthrow the New Republic in what was called "The New Rebellion", by manipulating political events and strategic use of powerful miniature bombs implanted in all the droids that came out of Telti, which Brakiss still controlled.

[edit] Second Imperium

After that plan failed, Brakiss went to the Deep Core and reestablished his Imperial warlord contacts, becoming a neutral broker between the replacement warlords. In the wake of the Pellaeon-Gavrisom Treaty, which was met with disgust from Brakiss and the surviving Deep Core powers. These parties pooled their resources and created the Shadow Academy, a Dark Jedi academy which was to be led by Brakiss.

From his new hyperspace-capable space station equipped with a cloaking device, Brakiss headed to Dathomir and recruited Nightsister Tamith Kai, who became his second-in-command, and her apprentice Vilas (among others), and they used the Great Canyon Clan as a recruitment ground.

In 23 ABY, his agents led by Tamith Kai raided the GemDiver Station in the gas giant Yavin and kidnapped Jedi trainees Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo and Lowbacca. Brakiss and Tamith then attempted to brainwash their captives - but the Jedi youths resisted the efforts to indoctrinate them and were rescued by Luke Skywalker and Tenel Ka.

Realizing that capturing high-profile people and any existing Jedi trainees may bring unwanted attention, Brakiss's agents went on a recruitment drive in the dangerous lower levels of Coruscant, and were told to bring back people no one would miss. Among their recruits was Zekk — a friend of the Solo twins. Zekk, believing that no one cared for him, was fully brainwashed and became Brakiss's protégé and eventually, the Shadow Academy's Darkest Knight.

With the sudden arrival of the back-from-the-dead Emperor Palpatine, Brakiss then gathered his forces and attacked the Jedi Academy. He arranged a meeting with Skywalker, who again tried to turn him back to the light. Brakiss refused to listen to Skywalker, and returned to the Shadow Academy. When he arrived, he demanded to see the Emperor, but he discovered "the Great Leader of the Second Imperium" was really nothing more than four Royal Guards. Furious, he killed three of them, but the fourth escaped and activated the Academy's self-destruct system. Brakiss was killed in the ensuing explosion. His companion, Tamith Kai, was also killed during the battle.

Guest DarthXanthus

---------------------------http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/brakiss/index.html--------------------------

Brakiss

Appeared in:

IIIIIIIVVVICW

Homeworld:

Msst

Species:

Human

Male

Size:

1.83 meters

Weapon:

Lightsaber

Affiliation:

Second Imperium, Jedi

From the Expanded Universe

The tragic words of Obi-Wan Kenobi long haunted Luke Skywalker when he took it upon himself to train a new generation of Jedi Knights. That such a powerful and gifted Jedi Knight as Obi-Wan could fail and produce an abomination such as Darth Vader was a terrifying notion. It was many years before Skywalker felt comfortable enough to take on students. His success is undeniable, but along the path to rebuilding the order, there are tragic examples of those who have fallen from the light.

Thus is the case with Brakiss. Discovered as an infant during the Imperial occupation of Msst, the Force-sensitive child was taken into the custody of the Empire's Inquisitors. He failed to qualify for service as one of the Emperor's select agents, but the Inquisitors forged him to be a weapon for their own using.

During his sheltered upbringing, the galaxy turned itself inside out. The Empire was toppled, first with the death of Palpatine and the scuttling of the fleet at Endor, and then with the eventual reclamation of Coruscant and establishment of the New Republic. After the collapse of the resurrected Emperor's campaign to snuff out the Republic, the few surviving members of the Inquisitorius learned of Luke Skywalker's Jedi academy on Yavin 4.

Brakiss' masters forged a plausible background for him, and sent him to the Academy, so that their dark pupil could unsettle the new Jedi order from within. Skywalker accepted Brakiss, and saw through his falsified history. He knew full well of Brakiss' agenda, but he saw great potential and the good in Brakiss' heart. Skywalker sought to turn him from the dark side.

Brakiss underwent a pivotal Jedi trial under Skywalker's tutelege. Brakiss confronted the darkness within and his spirit was broken by what he encountered. Shamed, he fled the academy. The fugitive Jedi encountered another fallen student of Skywalker's, an angry youth named Dolph. Brakiss joined Dolph's campaign of terror against the New Republic. Based on the droid-manufacturing moon of Telti, Brakiss oversaw the secret installation of countless bombs into droids destined throughout the galaxy. Several of these droids detonated in the heart of the New Republic Senate.

Consumed by guilt over the tragedy, Brakiss fled while the New Republic brought Dolph to justice. Brakiss attempted to reestablish ties with Imperial warlords in the heart of the Galactic Core. Again, the galaxy underwent seismic political changes, as the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant signed an historic peace accord.

Despite the cease in hostilities, there were those in the Core who refused to let the violence die. These struggling warlords reformed under the banner of the Second Imperium, with the Shadow Academy as the centerpiece. It was to be a training ground for a new generation of Dark Jedi, led by Brakiss. Drawing their ranks from disillusioned Force-sensitives and Dathomirian Nightsisters, the Shadow Academy struck at Luke Skywalker's Jedi order.

The young Jedi Knights Jacen and Jaina Solo tangled with the Shadow Academy on numerous occasions. The Shadow Academy was ultimately defeated, and Brakiss died in the conflict.

Behind the Scenes

Brakiss was a supporting character in the novel The New Rebellion, by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. He was a recurring villain in the pages of the Young Jedi Knights series of novels by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta.

Guest DarthXanthus

250px-Brakiss_negtc.jpg

200px-Brakiss_newec.jpg

brakiss.jpg

These are the only images I have found. I am confident that the one pic can yeild an excellent costume. It is next to perfect save for the back obviously and the bits covered by the cloak.

Guest Anonymous
I am confident that the one pic can yeild an excellent costume. It is next to perfect save for the back obviously and the bits covered by the cloak.

Yep, I agree - it's going to lead you to an excellent costume! As Pam has pointed out, it's not likely to make you eligible for 501st membership, but I can see why you want to make it. I especially love the color scheme, as it's shown in the first pic. I can't wait to see how you interpret the rest of it! I hope you post pictures of your progress along the way.

Guest DarthXanthus

If there are any costumers that want to get in on this I am still talking with a few to sort out who I will end up working with for the first project, which, if this one cannot likely get me in the 501st, may be a more generalized Sith. I see little point in the expense of authenticity for a character that will not get me further than just doing a Sith costume for me. I would still need a good costume designer for that.

I hope, in time, I find another character that will work at an event, or we can eventually have enough info for Brakiss. If I really want in I am sure I can come up with an Imperial officers uniform or something of the sort.

It would be a shame not to do this one, as mentioned by a few here, it has excellent potential.

How is a Nightsister possible and this character not?

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/t ... p?album=15

Good evening,

I do not mean to sound terribly snippy with this; Changing character requirements explain how one character with limited references might have been accepted to the 501st five years ago while one that no one has even bothered to make a costume of is not.

My recommendation, if you are sincere about loving this character enough to make the costume, do it. Present something gorgeous to the Legion and you might make the membership officers reevaluate their policy. Maybe not even then, but then at least you have your costume.

Above all, costume for yourself. Costuming a fringe character in the hopes of being the first to be accepted in the 501st is a recipe for deferral.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest DarthXanthus

I will take that to heart. First i will be doing my own costume for me alone, then I will decide on where to go next. I may simply socialize with the 501st for a time unless a cannon costume inpires me to do it. I will see the quality of the garment maker I am going with for this first one and judge by that if having them do Brakiss to try to get the reevaluation you mention.

I see you speak fluent dark side.

(see below lol)

Guest bassclarinets

I am glad that you are doing it for you -

have fun and keep us all updated on your progress.. believe me, we will want to see!

Jen

Guest DarthXanthus

Costumer hired, fabric selection beginning.

Parts for lightsaber ordered, I will build it from MHS parts as nothing I have lathed looked right to me.

Guest DarthXanthus

Brakiss saber V1

I had been annoyed with not liking anything I lathed so I build this from MHS parts.

It's a sound capable hilt. For now it's just a light only stunt saber.

th_100_2049.jpg

th_100_2051.jpg

th_100_2050.jpg

Fabric samples are en route to me right now as well. Pics of them will be posted.

Guest DarthXanthus

Just had word that the costume ought to be complete and in my hands before too long.

Now to get boots and make a saber...