• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Revan leathers straps help

Keltten

So im trying to figure out where to get some leather to remake the straps holding the Ring to the armor. I have a MWA armor and wanted to see if anyone had some advice on how to REMAKE them. I have this big idea on how to i want to improve my armor but having a hard time finding some leather for it or material like leather. 

Any help is much loved!

I've just cut up an old leather jacket and painted it with a silver paint. Looks awesome. Try not to hard leather, or else you can't bend it around the rings. 

I replaced the rings also for thicker metal ones. It are curtain rings ;) 

You're never finished changing your armor ;) I bet you'll be changing the shoulder straps from the armor for better ones later to lol

Good luck!

I went to a saddle maker for the leather.  He had tons of different textured leathers and I had him make my straps. I haven't painted pleather, but my straps were sponge-painted with a mixture of Folk Art Metallic Sequin Black and Decoart Dazzling Metallics Shimmering Silver.  This link for my thread shows the paints I used:

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1756-becoming-darth-revan-a-womans-perspective-part-ii-the-belt-straps/

Since I was working on the belt straps anyway, I replaced the rings with nickel finish O rings that have an open gate, easy to remove to put the rings through the leather. 

• Like 1

Awesome!  One thing I didn't consider was the texture of the leather.  After I picked up my straps, I was concerned that the leather might be too soft and stretch out with the weight of the new rings.  My new rings are a bit heavy.  But they haven't stretched.  And I had mine made with Velcro stitched to the back where I needed it.  And you can get a test swatch and get your mix right on the paint.

I too replaced mine with leather. I had a 8oz side of leather for another project, and I just cut strips and mixed up a dye. I blended silver and black until I was happy with the color.

I can take pictures if you'd like.