• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus Questions

kracker98

Hello everyone!  I'm going to start making a Darth Nihilus costume pretty soon and I have a couple questions.

1.  What kind of fabric should I use?

2.  How much fabric am I going to need?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Hello Kracker!

Raw silk is commonly used as it flows really well and has a good texture to it. There's a certain supplier that a lot of people use around here, I can't remember the name and my internet connection seems to be rather slow at the moment so I can't seem to find it, maybe someone else can direct you towards that.
Myself and Nefthys have used a piano/mozart weave linen as an alternative since it has a very similar weave and flow to it.

The amount will depend on your size and fit. the amount seems to generally go somewhere between 15-20 meters. I'm 5'9", slim build, and used somewhere around 17 meters for my costume. I used more than enough for my build as I wanted it to be as flowy and majestic as possible.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the info!

From what I've read it sounds like that amount is pretty common.  Thank you also for the height and build information too because I am 6'3" and have a fairly average build, so it's good to have a reference to go off of.  I also would like to have enough for a flowing look.

What type of material did you use for the sleeves?

Hello,

As Paradoxdj said, we used piano weave linen, similar to what the jedi use on their robes. The company that a lot of Nihilus costumers order from is Dharma Trading for the raw silk. 

Raw Silk also known as Silk Noil fabric.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/black-raw-silk-35mm-45-inch.html

For the sleeves I just used a regular black cotton fabric with a light quilting baton in the middle for the padded look. 

Hope that helps! 

Cheers,

Nef