• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Kylo Ren Dissection and WIP

Volund Starfire

Kylo%20Ren_zpsvjhnzqfw.png

I have the pepakura file for the Kylo Ren helmet!  I will begin building it later this week as I’m still in the

process of unfolding it and finishing up a couple of other pepakura projects.  I’m looking to clear the

palette and start on this project with a fresh set of tools.

There are a couple of things wrong with the file that immediately jumps out at me.  These include the

raised details, the cheeks, and the vent details on the sides.

Kylo%20Ren_zpshipjvfqu.png

The raised details on the cheeks and brow are identical on both sides in the file.  In reality, they are

asymmetrical.  However, fear not, because the details are actually floating faces over the model!  So, I

am planning on drafting out the proper design of the left cheek based on sketches I found on the RPF.

The cheeks of the helmet are actually cut out under the raised details.  After I get the helmet hardened, I

am planning on cutting out the cheek and sanding it into the proper shape.

Finally, the vent detail on the side will be made using 1mm layered sintra behind another piece of sintra

to give it a vent-like look.

Edited by Volund Starfire

The helmet is built! I will be hardening it tomorrow. I know it looks a little misshapen, but that’s just

because I don’t have it braced in the proper position or anything. Updates will be coming after it’s

hardened!

Oh, and the raised detail on the face will be installed after it’s built.

SDC13774_zpsilmstpir.jpg

SDC13775_zpssvpw6xk5.jpg

SDC13776_zpsr9z25kqv.jpg

Later tonight I will make a forum just for Kylo Ren. There are enough people working towards it and interested in the character.

Oh my gosh really?! :o Thats awesome

SDC13792_zpsjqblh9fs.jpg

Here’s a close-up on the surcoat/cape material for my first version robe. I still need to dye it, which I’ll

be doing after I cut it out.

SDC13793_zpsrlp8dyrs.jpg

As you can see, there is enough for me to make mine and perhaps another… muahahahaha. Ehem.

SDC13795_zpsjb4ablw0.jpg

Here is my version two material. It’s a little more expensive, but I want to make sure I have the pattern

down before I attempt it with such and expensive piece of material. Oh, and did I mention the back is

actually coated?

I still need to dye it, which I’ll

be doing after I cut it out.

Then wash it as HOT as you can go first...shrinkage to the MAX. I lost 6 inches on my 60' wide material with the dye bath

It's a

Ok so where did you get the material on the right? Its really nice

It's a material from a local place in Portland, OR. It's $35/yd, but I'm getting some coupons soon.

That material looks phenomenal. Seriously. i remember the convo about the blankets I think they will be close enough. The material on the right seriously is so close though. But eww 35.00 Painful.

Im headed to the Fabric District on monday (again) to scour (again) for more material of what I used for mine. I cant believe how hard this stuff is to find

That material looks phenomenal. Seriously. i remember the convo about the blankets I think they will be close enough. The material on the right seriously is so close though. But eww 35.00 Painful.

Im headed to the Fabric District on monday (again) to scour (again) for more material of what I used for mine. I cant believe how hard this stuff is to find

As if by the grace of the Force, I just got a 40% off for Home Decore fabrics for next month.

Specifically, it is for the weekend just after payday! Yeah, guess what I'm getting some yardage of.

It might partially be the time of year. Except us crazy costumes, a lot of places won't imagine there's a need for heavy fabrics when it's May.

Hey guys!

Here's some info about the Top Coat on Kylo:

star-wars-7-kylo-ren-costume.jpg

Source: http://collider.com/star-wars-7-costumes-props-klyo-rens-lightsaber/

The fabrics can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Chenille-Solid-Basket-Weave-Fabric/dp/B00GZY9RW2

So, I did get a yard of that fabric to see what it was like. It's a loost weave, but

is also really stiff. When I ran it through the wash, it pretty much disintegrated.

But, I'm in the final stages of a material that I found that I'll be offering as a run.

It's from a local vendor and they sell it in bulk.