• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Reborn Revan?

bdh1138

I've been thinking about this with the new TOR expansion, and I wanted to get some input on where you all think this would fit, it it does anywhere.

DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT THE STORY OF 'SHADOW OF REVAN SPOILED'

So I haven't played it myself, but the latest expansion to the SW:TOR mmo evidently features the return of Revan. I really dig the battle damaged costume, but I wanted to see where exactly this fits in terms of club membership.

shadow4.jpg

darth_revan__reborn__by_snakehead333-d7zh0z3.jpg

And this is where I'm going to get into some spoilers. As I understand it from synopses and cut scenes, the Revan in this expansion is kind of an unusual case. Apparently, when he appeared to die in a previous flashpoint, he tried to become one with the Force but only part of his spirit split off. The serene Jedi part of his nature became a force ghost while the part of him that was still twisted by the dark side wouldn't let go. So what's left is essentially "Revan's dark side" walking around in his body. I'm probably doing a terrible job explaining this, but like I said, I haven't played that far in the game yet.

That bit makes me think this is more of a 501st character, but his role in the game makes me unsure. I guess his motivation and plan, however ill advised and dark-side fueled, are still aimed against the Sith Emperor. His ultimate goal is still to fully destroy the Emperor, who at this point has just lost physical form. However, his plan is apparently dangerous enough to the galaxy that forces from the Republic and Empire team up to stop him.

So that's what leaves me confused about how to classify this guy. He's kept alive by hatred, but working against the biggest galactic threat of his time, and his plan to do so makes enemies of both the Sith and the Jedi. What say you, 501st members? I think he'd fit in more here than with the Rebel Legion, but I'm honestly not sure if his character fits fully into the purview of either club.

I would say that the Revan Reborn is more for the dark side and 501st Legion rather than Rebel Legion. Sure he makes an enemy from both the Republic and Empire, but this is only half of Revan, the much darker half. Revan Reborn is consumed by so much anger and hatred by the Sith Emperor and the Dread Masters that he refused to follow the other half in being one with the force until those who did him wrong were defeated.

Revan has always be confusing because he was both a lord of the sith and the prodigal knight, but I would say this is definitely a dark side and the more cleaner version inSWTOR could be Rebel Legion worthy.

What do you think?

Even prior to the expansion I was actually in favor of the SWTOR Revan making a case for a 501st approval.

However, without an actual applicant a determination won't be officially made. Amidala currently has her Revan from SWTOR approved by the RL but no case has been submitted to the LMO for approval in the 501st to my knowledge.

As for the battle-damage version, I feel it would have an equal if not higher chance at approval but until there's an application it won't be made as a decision most likely.

Excellent! We can always work on getting a separate area if there is enough interest/information to make a new area on the boards for it. In the mean time, feel free to post some WIP stuff here and if you would like feedback I and others will be happy to take a look at it. I can promise honest, constructive suggestions and will do my best to present challenging but thoughtful questions to help you as needed to help you be even more certain to meet standards for approval. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Even prior to the expansion I was actually in favor of the SWTOR Revan making a case for a 501st approval.

However, without an actual applicant a determination won't be officially made. Amidala currently has her Revan from SWTOR approved by the RL but no case has been submitted to the LMO for approval in the 501st to my knowledge.

As for the battle-damage version, I feel it would have an equal if not higher chance at approval but until there's an application it won't be made as a decision most likely.

Good to know. :) I was torn between this version of Revan or Darth Marr, but I think battle damaged Revan here is going on my project list now. I probably won't be starting on him too soon, as I'm close to finishing my Kanan for the RL and I'm trying not to get distracted with new WIPs before I make it through one I've already got. I might keep updating with my plans and questions for the time being though.

Hey, sorry to necropost, but this has been kicking around my head again recently and I wanted to work out some thoughts. I've been trying to work out how exactly I would represent his battle damage, particularly with the chest armor. It just seems kind of muddy in the game model and I was wondering just how much creative interpretation is allowed in translating it to a costume. Here's a quick sketch of what I generally see the battle damage looking like

29540907246_fc2dae8401_b.jpg

As best I can tell, he's got lots of small scratches and dings and two really big features. One is a large diagonal gash running down close to the middle of the armor. The other is whatever is going on along the bottom edge. In the game, it almost looks like large pieces of armor have been cut away or cut into to and there is a recessed layer sitting farther back from the rest on area. 

Screenshot_2016-02-03_13_12_01_810876.jp

VYLkcog.jpg

I'm not sure exactly how to represent that in the flesh though. Looking at the textures on his model and looking at that concept art I posted originally, I almost thing it's supposed to look like it's been crushed or crumpled and then hammered back out. Would approximating that with some heat shaping and dremel work to rough it up fit what he's supposed to look like, or should I go a more direct route and sand out big swaths in the shapes visible here to stick more directly to the game?

Here's a turnaround of his character model for reference https://swtor.jedipedia.net/en/npc/revan-17

On a different note, though I don't have many materials or much time to work on this while I'm at school (not to mention the fact that Finishing my Kylo, Kanan, Rohlan Dyre, and Krennic are higher priorities at the moment), I did get a bit of a start blocking out the SWTOR style mask. My plan is to fiberglass and bondo it once it has a forehead, and then do the scarring and gouges with a dremel.

30178617735_36eb760efe_b.jpg

30178619645_45d2ee6957_b.jpg

30178621395_1a2a7b432d_b.jpg

30178615765_561d17c66a_b.jpg

30143827726_6797929a11_b.jpg