• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New SoCal Mara Jade

badwolfbrunch

Hi All! So I have been reading this board for months but have not posted until now!

I am building my Mara Jade as my first 501st costume and wanted to share my progress.

Jumpsuit and Cowl - having a seamstress help me since I am a terrible sewer - expecting to be done this week

Goggles - purchased this weekend from my local army surplus store

Gloves - got these at the surplus store as well (black leather)

Shoulder Harness - built my own - super proud

Boots - bought at Forever 21 (hope they work)

Still need to get:

- Red Wig

- Shin Guards

A few questions for any experts out there...

I am working on the belt and thigh strap now... I have the leather but am running into trouble with the buckle. What materials and where did you source?

I also really want tan gloves but am having trouble finding online - everything has the elastic at the wrist...

Any help would be appreciated and so many have already helped me so much!! A BIG Thank you!

- Mallory

Hi.

I did the buckle for the belt and harness with HIPS.

Cut a square, sanded the edges rounding them, primed and painted.

I attached it to the belt with velcro and the overall effect is not that bad. Of course it is better to have it made in steel but I had nor the time nor the budget for it :)

F

Hi All,

Just an update! Got my wig - I went with more of a copper from the comics than an "ariel" red.

For my belt I made the buckle out of galvanized steel and d-rings from the fabric store. The leather strap I did with leather glue.

Knee pads were found at my local army surplus store and are very basic with no logos. I still need to get the shin guards for my last item!

Almost there!! Still want to get tan gloves to go with the cowl - but black will have to work for now.

My goal is to have my master replica lightsaber for Star Wars celebration and hopefully a blaster (which I plan to build out as a 3D model).

Pictures to come soon!

- Mallory

Long time no update but I am *nearly* done!

My jumpsuit is going to the tailors soon to make it less boxy and I am working on my shin guards this weekend.

My belt is getting a bit of an adjustment since I have gotten better at sewing but here ya go...

This is with just leggings and a black tank - but all else. Will take pics of my harness as well!

Will post my finals soon!

d1654f0c-efeb-41fa-a128-ae23d21eabe4_zpsydeqobje.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Flagship Eclipse Friends - so I went the Juno route for a while and am a 501st member now...

But I have been missing my first costuming love Mara Jade... Since the first time I attempted this costume I couldn't sew at all and now I have sewn an imperial officer costume so I think it is time to tackle the jumpsuit.

So parts build:

Wig - done (featured above)

Cowl - Also done (featured above)

Goggles - Done (featured above)

Jumpsuit - next sewing project

Harness - Done 

Gloves - Done

Knee Pads - Done

Shin Guards - need to source

Boots - using my Juno boots that are better for this costume

Belt - need to rework this to fit better 

Hey, so I would completely recommend Yaya Han's bodysuit pattern from McCall's. I tried all of the normal suggested patterns and they all turned out baggy in places or just looking not like I wanted. Yaya's pattern was super easy to adapt and worked out the first time I used it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok so ordered my YaYa Han bodysuit pattern! My plan is to make just the "leotard" out of muslim/ cheap fabric first for fit purposes.

I have some scrap spandex leftover from other costumes I will be testing the piping on.

This is going to be my "summer sewing project" but would love to have done by SDCC - we will see...

Ok so ordered my YaYa Han bodysuit pattern! My plan is to make just the "leotard" out of muslim/ cheap fabric first for fit purposes.

I have some scrap spandex leftover from other costumes I will be testing the piping on.

This is going to be my "summer sewing project" but would love to have done by SDCC - we will see...

If you can, I'd recommend making your muslin in something with some stretch, rather than your typical muslin/cotton as the pattern needs stretch to fit. You could try a jersey, which I expect would be cheap enough.