• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

A'Sharad Hett WIP

Teraxis

I am a current member of the Mandalorian Mercs CC :boba: and this along with a phase Captain Rex will be my first costumes for the 501st (and RL with the Rex as well). When I found this section on the boards I became positively giddy yesterday. I was looking around for info on doing a traditional tuskin when I stumbled across this section. I am a really big fan of the Legacy comics and Darth Krayt in general. So this costume is going to combine my desire to build a sand person with my love of the legacy characters.

I plan to make the majority of this myself with my brand new budding sewing skills! They are still pretty rudimentary but you have to start somewhere right?

Everything is still in the planning stages right now but I wanted to get this up and started. I do have a question to start with. What material is everyone using for the dark brown cloth parts? I assume the other cloth parts can be made with the same materials as a traditional tuskin :tusken: yes?

Hi there!

Welcome to these parts too. :)

I'm planning to use brown linnen for my parts. For me it feels right, but there might be some more experiences Hett builders here that might want to chime in here. I'm also just in the beginning of my build.

Considering A'Sharad Hett's main clothing are based on his Jedi outfit I don't think there's any necessary connection to the Tusken textiles.

Looking forward to follow your build. Maybe we'll be able to help each other out as we progress on our individual Hetts. :)

This project is officially underway! I spent some time at the armor party today and I have to say I am very happy with the outcome! Hett boots have been created!!!

I started with rubber boots from tractor supply (14.99)

boot3.jpg

In hopes that they will provide some ventilation I drilled holes in the toe and heel area

boot4.jpg

After cutting some strips of Khaki Duck Cloth (5,99 per yard x 3= 17,97) the wrapping began! Shoe goo (5.99 per tube x 3= 17.97) was used to attach the wraps.

Wrapped boot!

boot8.jpg

I used a steel wool pad to fray the wraps (this is after like 1min on each boot)

boot9.jpg

I added some color to the weathering with a light mist of brown and black spray paint.

boot10.jpg

boot11.jpg :tusken:

Progress this week!

Let's make a rebreather!

After seeing many different tutorials on the subject I decided to attempt this build on a budget. So 2 empty spray paint cans (free I emptied them painting mando helmets) 2 wd-40 caps (I spent 4 bucks because I didn't have any at home) and 2 1/4" flare nuts (found em at menards for like $1.25)not pictured 3ft 1/4 solid aluminum rod (3.49 at menards) and a scrap of leather I got from another prop builder (2 bucks).

50157B4C-1065-4482-84B4-47B797EB9D32.jpg

I cut the cans down using a cutoff saw. It was my first time using the device so maybe not the best cuts ever. But then I cleaned the sharp edges up with a file.

F474AD51-85F6-43E6-B387-7A6B89E19807.jpg

Using the same saw I cut another piece of the can out this will be what the two ends are attached to.

9CC41D52-1476-4B59-9774-F520C6B32113.jpg

I applied the glue and clamped the sleeve in place while the clue cured.

27EB3A04-70C2-441F-8180-094DCAAABD93.jpg

I failed to get pics of a few of the I between steps here (sorry) In short once I had the main body glued together I drilled holes in the WD caps so that the flare nuts could be recessed in them. I then glued all of those parts together and to the main body. Bending the rod was tricky. I tried using tool designed of this but in the end I hand bent the rod.

A618CDBF-5CE6-4495-B717-77D0698566E0.jpg

Next up the leather was applied using barge cement.

85439CE8-7884-410C-AC32-A2EE2B987C55.jpg

After masking the leather parts off I painted the whole thing then applied a bit of weathering. (Might need a bit more weathering to get it as grimy as I want it.

03EB543B-806E-4D98-B93D-F8F6ADF14390.jpg

822286F8-55C5-43C3-AEBD-15C5D8B23E23.jpg

:tusken: