• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mara Jade - Choices of One - Build Thread

mara_jade

If you continue with your project the way you have been. By this I mean an excellent attention to detail. I am sure you wont have any trouble adding this costume to the 501st CRL.

I cant wait for the images when everything is fitting together and then we can see proportions and how well it looks in comparison to the art work

So the journey continues;

I have got my belt in getting sewn up this week, should have it back Monday.

Have been working on my gauntlets (pictures tomorrow), and other armor pieces.

Boots are where I'm looking for some advice.

I have the following 2 options;

One is a standard plain black leather boot with a moderate heel, The other is the same but with a sole that is more akin to a 'Space Boot';

Remembering that this will be a 'First in Legion' costume and as such I think the look of the 'Space Boot' style would suit the character from Choices of one as it is a little more milatarised than fashionable.

Thoughts and opinions apprciated.

Sallie

:saber:

Simple Leather Boot.

_12-2_zpse7247884.jpg

Space Boot.

_12_zps3f6ec2f1.jpg

Everything looks good.

In regards to boots, I'd go with the simple boot, not the space boot. As most other boots, even TK have a heel. It looks more military as well.

My opinion on the matter, not written in stone. Everything looks awesome!

I'll still trying to find something better for the boots.

It's hard to find something, particually as boots are out of season.

Any tips for some stores on-line other than eBay?

So onto the Gauntlets or forearm protectors or Bracer, whatever they are officially called, here is the original art first, with my interpretation second.

Sallie

Original Art.

Choices_of_one_1_Daryl_Mandryk_zpsb99c9637.jpg

As manufactured.

20140921_154749_zpsferqu0tb.jpg

Hey everyone, just wanted to follow up with a pair of boots I’ve located on the net.

They are from a costume supply place in the US, which runs about 4 different web sites;

http://www.buystarwarscostumes.com/dart ... boots.html

http://www.discountstarwarscostumes.com ... boots.html

http://www.buystarwarstoys.com/black-costume-boots.html

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/acc-ad ... boots.html

Their contact details are;

2080 Lookout Drive

North Mankato, MN 56003

Has anyone had any dealings with this company?

If so, can you attest to the quality of the boot, and if the size expectations were satisfactory?

“They are made of faux leather, fabric lining and a reliable rubber sole. A full side zipper is located on the side of the boot, creating both an easy access and a contemporary look.” So the website says.

I think they will be fine when compared to the guide picture from the Mara Jade CRL.

Here is a picture of the boots in question;

deluxe-adult-black-boots_zps56335215.jpg

Here is a picture of the approved Mara Jade boots from the CRL.

450px-SL-mara-blacksuit-boots_zps88464111.jpg

Feedback appreciated

Thanks

Sal

Today I went for the first costume fitting. This is me all dressed up in my Lime green Lycra & Calico ‘Toile’.

REF: Wikipedia –

“A ‘Toile’ is a version of a garment made by a fashion designer or dressmaker to test a pattern. They are usually made in cheap material, as multiple toiles may be made in the process of perfecting a design. a "toile" is a version of a garment made by a fashion designer or dressmaker to test a pattern. They are usually made in cheap material, as multiple toiles may be made in the process of perfecting a design.”

So they pinned it all up and I put on my belts and trial armor pieces to see how everything sat, and so they could get all their design lines correct so the suit sits just right.

Next step is a trial fitting of the real deal before the final stitch up and hopefully all done in time for a road test at Brisbane Supa Nova at the end of November.

Photos:

20141020_090710_zps5b20ddc8.jpg

20141020_093152_zpsa9562876.jpg

20141020_09422811_zps4968e00f.jpg

3 weeks to go until Brisbane Super Nova, and I have a lot of work yet to complete.

Overall I'm progressing a little behind schedule but a couple of big days on it and I should be good to go.

Now I know I have a new deadline of 21st to submit photos to be approved for a road test, I'm super excited

Have a new version of the gauntlets, grooves are thinner and much more detail with respect to the main reference photo.

.20141108_175754_zpssukvmvig.jpg

Also had my first test run with my wig today. Have to watch a bit more you tube to get the fitting down right I think.

sal-430_zps843f6d68.jpg

Thanks so much.

I have just less than 2 weeks to have it all assembled, and have photos taken and submitted, so I can have it 'Approved in Principle', to wear in 3 weeks as a 'Road test', at the Supa Nova show in Brisbane, Australia. (co-incidentley, the same building where the G20 is happening this week)

This looks awesome.

Thanks so much.

I have just less than 2 weeks to have it all assembled, and have photos taken and submitted, so I can have it 'Approved in Principle', to wear in 3 weeks as a 'Road test', at the Supa Nova show in Brisbane, Australia. (co-incidentley, the same building where the G20 is happening this week)

This looks awesome.

I am using your build guide as a reference to start my own. I can't wait to see the finished project.

I had my final fitting this afternoon for my costume.

Here are the photos.

There are just a few final hems to be done on the tunic.

The shoulder armour needs to have a final heat and shape, to pull down the outer ends over the shoulders.

I'm hopeful in having an authorisation to wear this unapproved costume for a road test next Sunday at Brisnova?

Super excited

Sallie

DSC_0020_zpsab88b11e.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsab88b11e.jpg.html

DSC_0002_zpse65952b6.jpg

sal-432_zps582b2568.jpg

sal-433_zps3e5714fe.jpg

DSC_0011_zps551647c3.jpg

Good evening,

Visual reference is key for costume recreation in the 501st. The images must be vetted. No Deviant Art or other fan work can be considered as official reference unless that fan happened to have been commissioned by Lucas Films for an official SW product.

The Mara Jade Choices of One suit references change between the hard cover and paper back art;

ChoicesOfOne-PreliminaryFrontCover.jpg

Hard Cover, not of much use as a costume reference

Choices_of_One_PB_art.jpg

Paper Back image without text begins to reveal part of the suit, notice the rib armour and complex shoulder armour

Star_Wars_Mara_Jade.jpg

I do not know the source of this image, but it appears to be support the same body armour but offers a clearer view.

640px-Vader_Jade_Allegiance.jpg

The SW Essential Reader’s companion seems to combine all influences nicely, but still falls short of a complete reference.

A complete reference front to back, head to toe may be required to approve a new costume for 501st membership.

DSC_0020_zpsab88b11e.jpg

There are other images of Mara Jade in full sleeved outfits, but yours appears to be based on the Choices%20of%20One as presented. I would point to the shoulder, rib armour and bracers as points that need adjustment to better match the amalgam of references. I would pick either the paper back or the Essential Reader’s Guide as the base reference and go from there.

As Detachment Leader, I do not approve costumes. My role is to advise.

Your build is impressive, but it may require additional work to be approved by the same guidelines as other costumes in the 501st Legion.

Be well,

Thomas