• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Asajj Bounty Hunter WIP

Guest kahna

Guest kahna

Thank you! That's very helpful. I'll have to pick up a pair after I get the lightsabers in my hands. Speaking of lightsabers according to the gentleman who is doing the 3d render they are almost done. He is just doing the final testing/adjusting. He's going to send me the files when he is done and I will have them printed.

Here is the sneak preview he sent me.

14232912185_46c7096ecc_b_zps3aada734.jpg

Guest kahna

I got a little distracted last week. I found some fabric on sale and ended up making a Leia ANH dress. I then moved on to fixing the collar on my version of Padme's Loyalist Committee gown, all to avoid painting.

But I'm back on track!

DSC00113_zps2ddb9d48.jpg

DSC00114_zpsec4dd7ec.jpg

The back of one tabard needs work. Seems I painted one of them darker than the other. I'll go over the lines on the lighter one to make it bolder.

I also made the bracers, but no pictures of those currently.

Edited to add pictures of the bracers!

DSC00117_zps3bc2d8c2.jpg

DSC00120_zps5bcb91ba.jpg

DSC00121_zpsadc89cb2.jpg

Bonus, I started making the shin armor. Burnt my fingers a few times.

Guest kahna

It poured rain this weekend so I was stuck inside. What better to do than make a bunch of armor.

IMG_0610_zpsdff67af2.jpg

IMG_06111_zps6e313cc3.jpg

It is made of Worbla, two layers, with a craft foam core. The side sections of the torso armor lack the craft foam core, and are much less neat looking than the rest of it the pieces, without that core to provide stability while shaping. Unfortunately the core makes compound curves impossible. I needed the torso armor to curve around my waist and to tuck in to create an hourglass shape. I did my best to make it look nice. The belt channel is a tube of worbla and is functional.

I lightly sanded the worbla and then painted it with several layers of watered down wood glue to seal and fill in the textured surface, sanding as needed to keep it smooth. I then primed it in black and painted it with silver spray paint. On top of the silver I painted several layers of teal acrylic paint. After that I scraped away some of the blue to expose the silver. I also used acrylic silver, gunmetal and black and drybrushed wear and battle damage on the armor. I still need to paint the bright blue stripe down the torso armor and paint the snake on the shoulder bell. It might be a little too beat up looking, but toning it down is easy enough. Just add more teal. Then I just have to figure out how to attach it all together, and the best way of attaching it to me.

Very nice build to follow. Nice work.

This worbla really looks more and more like a magical material every time I read about it. :)

Looking forward to see this come together. Keep up the good work!

Guest kahna

So I have done a ton of work in the last month, but I got a bit lazy about posting on both forums. So here's and update.

I made the belt buckle from scratch. Worbla, apoxy sculpt, and a small screw for the hook. It works pretty nice.

1512853_894900010526447_2739333094243492668_n_zps3ae70abe.jpg

Belt_zpsd9f9f5b8.jpg

Then I painted the shins. I used a silver spray paint for the base and gunmetal and silver acrylic for the decorative parts and weathering.

greaves_zpsac6dce36.jpg

Once I was done making all the bits and pieces I tried the whole thing on to see where the problem areas were. (Well, almost all the parts. I forgot to put the shins on. Oops.) Problems included the wraps being too high, the thigh armor didn't stay up and the biggest problem was the bracers were bleh.

DSC00157_zps518d1486.jpg

DSC00167_zpsac9a3aea.jpg

So, I remade the bracers, and I'm adding some Velcro to the thighs to fix the slipping issue. I made the new bracers out of worbla, and painted them to look like leather. Hopefully that is acceptable, I think they look better than the real leather did.

bracers_zps064a75cc.jpg

Now I just need to add a bit of Velcro to the legs and on to the joys of bald cap painting!

I have decided to use a plastic bald cap, and I've done my research. I have it measured, cut and the initial layer of red PAX on it. I was going to start with the alcohol based paint but my airbrush died. I'm waiting on replacement parts. Hopefully they will be here next week. Only 55 days to go until Dragoncon, and this isn't the only thing I'm working on. Stress!!!

Guest kahna

Ugh. . . bald caps are HARD! Even with the help of tutorials. Unfortunately I can't get my husband to help me with it. (Well, I could, but he's pretty hopeless when it comes to this sort of thing.) I had another go at it today, I think I've got it about 75%. I'm just happy that I'm not really going to need it to be 100%, 100% of the time. I just won't take my helmet off when I'm having a "bad bald cap" day. You can only see the back of it with the helmet on.

Guest kahna

Bald cap trial number two. Now I just need to try and paint the patterns on there. Some of the wrinkles around the ear need work, but I'm close. Gah, this is hard!

baldcap1_zpsc1f315ae.jpg

baldcapblending_zpsb569945e.jpg

baldcap2_zps2784d19b.jpg

Guest kahna

So, about the tattoos.

It seems that bald cap + helmet is a bad combo. The helmet, even with padding, damages the bald cap. Wrinkles it, puts small stretch spots and rubs the paint of where the harness contacts my head. So once it is on, it really can't come off. Do I need to be judged without the helmet, and with the full tattoos? Or can I get away with just painting the back and chin tattoos, which are the only ones that are visible.

I can't shave my head. I'm in the military, and it is considered faddish for a female to shave their head. I don't really want to wear a wig every day either. Not to mention I rather like having hair.

Considering that the CRL is yet to be defined I'm assuming it can be formulated to allow for both options.

I would say that the CRL for the Gunner might serve as some inspiration with its many "Optional configurations".

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming ... ial_gunner

As I understand your helmet can't be opened so as far as optional configurations.

# 1 - Helmet Only - Staying on and closed in public.

No facial make up necessary appart from keeping hair invisible.

# 2 - Helmet and partial make up - Helmet may be opened in public.

Visible parts of the face must use make up (or mask).

# 3 - Helmet and full make up - Helmet may be open or removed in public.

Possibly the make up accessories might be listed as optional accessories or listed as "and/or" with the above conditions listed.

Referencing other active CRLs you might want to consider the following.

ROTJ Vader does not require a "Vader unmasked" facial make-up even though there are clear references in the movie how he looks under and the fact that he actually removes his mask in the movie.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:SL_rotj_vader

Even though we know that Palptine have tufts of hair on the back of his head post his Mace Windu debacle there is no mentioning of hair being a necessary (or optional for that matter) part of an Palpatine costume.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming ... ne_emperor

There are probably more CRLs in support of this, but from the top of my head. :)

Hope it answers some of your questions surrounding the topic.

Guest kahna

So I took preliminary pictures. I didn't paint my hands, just did the bald cap/neck paint to see how it would go. I need to smooth out a few more wrinkles in the cap but I think I have the hang of it. Other than the hands and the wrinkles and that tiny spot at the back of my knee where the black shows through the wraps. (My husband is horrible at telling me about those things.) What do you guys see that needs work. Please be harsh, you won't hurt my feelings. Promise.

DSC00246_zpsa4f33640.jpg

DSC00244_zps57c4ecec.jpg

DSC00242_zps700bb70c.jpg

DSC00240_zps2528b334.jpg