• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Nihilus Kotor 2 mask help

Guest RinzlerTron

Guest RinzlerTron

Hello everyone!

I'm working on a custom Nihilus mask for a friend who actually is going to Star Wars weekends as Nihilus, and I wanted to know what all needed to be fixed about this sculpt before I mold it and make a casting of it.

Here it is so far. I've been using the in-game pictures as reference:

20140211_100649_zps19f8f1f3.jpg

I personally am not a fan of the bar going down the middle of the mask, and want to fix that...

You Might want to take a close look at mine for some inspiration

382113_4364919555570_753336645_n_zps6d970ee9.jpg

Note that it wraps around the face a little more than it looks in your sculpt, also it covers back to about the 1/4 mark of the forehead.

Note. Ignore the cape over my shoulders, I had an issue that weekend with the stablisation of how the cape sat. It's now fixed and held in place with a simple shortened strip of material

Guest DarthDrac

I'm no expert at this sort of thing, but as you say maybe the bar down the middle could be fiddled with a bit, and I agree about it wrapping further around the face.....that said it looks really good work. Good luck with the rest of it :D

Guest RinzlerTron
You Might want to take a close look at mine for some inspiration

382113_4364919555570_753336645_n_zps6d970ee9.jpg

Note that it wraps around the face a little more than it looks in your sculpt, also it covers back to about the 1/4 mark of the forehead.

Note. Ignore the cape over my shoulders, I had an issue that weekend with the stablisation of how the cape sat. It's now fixed and held in place with a simple shortened strip of material

Awesome, that shouldn't be a big deal to fix at all! Thank you!

Also, I noticed that on yours (cause you have one of my favorite Nihilus masks) that it has what looks like cheekbones, but when looking at In-game pictures, they can't be seen. Do I need to add cheekbones to mine, or is it just one of those optional things?

Guest RinzlerTron
I'm no expert at this sort of thing, but as you say maybe the bar down the middle could be fiddled with a bit, and I agree about it wrapping further around the face.....that said it looks really good work. Good luck with the rest of it :D

Thanks!

Yeah, the bar down the middle has now been completely taken off... it was problematic haha!

To me - it is artistic license I guess,

Clearly the mask to me was meant to be a skull of some type. And in some of the comic images it gave the impression that it had cheekbones.

I think it add more to the definition of the Mask and Look, It not that pronunced in Real life, but you look at it in photo's and simply smile. The mask looks menacing, which lets face it, is all about this most excellent Sith Lord :)

Guest RinzlerTron
To me - it is artistic license I guess,

Clearly the mask to me was meant to be a skull of some type. And in some of the comic images it gave the impression that it had cheekbones.

I think it add more to the definition of the Mask and Look, It not that pronunced in Real life, but you look at it in photo's and simply smile. The mask looks menacing, which lets face it, is all about this most excellent Sith Lord :)

Oh friend..... I think you've talked me into adding in those cheekbones...

If you want to get super geeky and technical (which I always do with Nihilus) the cheek bones are concidered the COTF mask and a smoother mask is KOTOR style. While it doesn't matter which mask you have with which robes for 501st approval, it's a fun piece of triva. I really love the more skull like COTF style mask.

Yup, I'm a nerd :)

Guest RinzlerTron
If you want to get super geeky and technical (which I always do with Nihilus) the cheek bones are concidered the COTF mask and a smoother mask is KOTOR style. While it doesn't matter which mask you have with which robes for 501st approval, it's a fun piece of triva. I really love the more skull like COTF style mask.

Yup, I'm a nerd :)

I personally really like the skull styled mask too. I've added the cheekbones, made the mask circle around the face a bit more, and made the eye holes look more menacing tonight.

Yeah, I think all of us around here are pretty big nerds hahaha!

*laughs*

Possibly :P But we wont go there will we lol

At the end of the day, it's really up to which style your prefer.

If you need some closer shots of mine, I am more than happy to take some.

Guest RinzlerTron
*laughs*

Possibly :P But we wont go there will we lol

At the end of the day, it's really up to which style your prefer.

If you need some closer shots of mine, I am more than happy to take some.

Do you mind showing some shots of how your curves around the face? I'd really appreciate that pal!

Guest RinzlerTron

Here's what all I've done to it to fix it so far... let me know what you guys think... Since I'm trying to go off of kind of like a KOTOR 2 style look, I tried to make the cheekbones look a bit different to make the mask still have kind of the KOTOR 2 shape.

DarthNihilusmasksculpt_zps7e2e4098.jpg

Nice work! I'd probably double check your proportions as they feel a little off. I've been planning on sculpting my own mask as well so I have no direct experience with this, but the nose feels a bit low and the eyes a little close together. Looks great though! Nice and symmetrical. :)

Not sure if it would help at all to take a reference image of his mask and set the transparency to 50% and level it over this photo of your sculpt in Photoshop or something similar to help see what you need to change??

Guest RinzlerTron
Nice work! I'd probably double check your proportions as they feel a little off. I've been planning on sculpting my own mask as well so I have no direct experience with this, but the nose feels a bit low and the eyes a little close together. Looks great though! Nice and symmetrical. :)

Not sure if it would help at all to take a reference image of his mask and set the transparency to 50% and level it over this photo of your sculpt in Photoshop or something similar to help see what you need to change??

I've fixed that now I think, and I've made the eyes a bit more round now too as that's been pointed out as well :)

See if this is what you meant :) (it hasn't been smoothed out yet, as I don't want to smooth it until it's the final base look of the mask)

20140217_110811_zps32d3396d.jpg

Guest RinzlerTron
Looks good, It does feel a little off thou - And I think it's the eyes - they are too pointed, where as they should be more round.

If you want a heap of reference images, contact me on fb

Awesome, what's your Facebook if you don't mind me asking? (if you don't want to give it out publicly, just PM me :) )

Guest RinzlerTron

I did a bit more work on the Nihilus mask. I made the eyes come down a bit more, and then I also filled in a bit on the tops of the eye sockets so that the eyes would be a bit lower. I also worked a bit on the bottom of the mandibles and making the nose area look more accurate to the game's. I also widened the mandibles to make them look closer and more square like the game's.

Nihilusmaskcomparison_zps79bb3922.png

It's not too noticeable of a difference, but it's one that matters. Here's a picture of Nihilus' character model to help determine if that looks correct.

DarthNihilusin-gamemask_zps71019d30.jpg

Let me know what y'all think :)

Guest RinzlerTron
Visually I'm thinking your on the right path and track now, by the photo the right chin bit's not looking the same as the left, but other than that you are definitely on the right track!

Thanks!

And when you say the chin, do you mean an actual part of the mask or the chin on the mannequin head? If you're talking about the mannequin head, I think that's because it was taken from a slightly different angle so the light could hit it better :)

Guest RinzlerTron

More pictures (although they are blurry, you can still see the details that are important).

I've been thinking though, and since I haven't added the silver balls/fan shape, should there be more than three on either side? All of the KOTOR II pictures except the front cover show that there are more than three of those small silver balls, potentially 6 or 7.... what do you guys think?

20140218_163921_zps2af9ef58.jpg

20140218_163927_zpsf69d1129.jpg