• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

LeMaxim’s (74210) A’Sharad Hett / Tusken Double-Build [WIP]

LeMaxim

Introduction

After building my TK (ANH stunt) and getting approved for 501st membership I started to cruise around the legion and

detachment boards to familiarise myself with the organisation and the many costumes in it. My head really started to spin.

So much information and cool things. :)

Having suffered through the TK-build my finances really didn’t need another big build (and I’m saying big build as in

needing a large one time purchase) and our small flat didn’t need another take-over-it-all-project. So while cruising

around I slowly saw patterns emerging and costume projects to take on that could be dealt in a piece by piece manner.

For those of you active in multiple detachment forums you will most likely see my other projects popping up soon.

One of the patterns I saw was that quite a few of the parts for A’Sharad Hett and the Male ANH Tusken Raider should be

interchangeable with a bit of thought through constructions.

So. Here. I give you my A’Sharad Hett / Tusken double-build thread.

Why A’Sharad Hett?

As I’m very new to the EU and am just starting to get to know the characters and the Expanded universe.

A’Sharad Hett was the character I could most easily relate to in my OT mind. He looks like a tusken and

lived during the PT OT time. He also carries two light sabres. What’s not to like. ;)

Why Tusken [ANH Male]?

Well… They are scary buggers. Masks are one thing. Masks that look like something out of a nightmare is quite another.

They haunted my nightmares as a kid. Let’s call it facing your fears… or passing them on.

Disclaimer

- This will be a slow build. So please bear with me if theres far between updates.

- There will be a lot of questions. ;)

- I know very little about A’Sharad Hett so far but will strive to learn more as I research and build.

- I will keep a similar build thread on Krayt Klan’s forum. The main difference between the two will be the focus,

naturally, will remain heavier on A’Sharad Hett and research specific to him here.

Link to my Tusken build at Krayt Klan's Forum. http://www.kraytclan.com/forum/index.ph ... 0-tusken-a’sharad-hett-double-build-wip/

Let's see where this will take me. :)

/// Maxim

[This post will be updated as the build progresses]

Parts list

Legend

[][][] = Not Aquired / Researching

[x][][] = Aquired

[x][x][] = Built

[x][x][x] = Built and Weathered

[/] = Stage partially complete

* = Part to be used, whole or in non-permanently modified part, for my Tusken Build

Required

- Mask [x][][]*

- Braid [][][]

- Neck Seal [][][]

- Neck Breather [x][][]*

- Inner Tunic [][][]

- Outer Tunic [][][]

- Gloves and Arm Wraps [/][][]*

- Waist Sash [][][]

- Belt and Pouches [][][]

- Pants [][][]*

- Boots [][][]*

Optional

- Lightsabres [][][]

Bits and pieces (such as tools and other items of use)

Build Diary

2014-02-07 - Mask kit + extras received.

2014-02-11 - Build thread (this) officially started.

Resources List

I was cruising around the internets a while back, and one thing lead to another... A short wile after this happened.

There's no day like BBB-day (even if it's a small brown box) :)

IMG_5931_zps4254d54c.jpg

Very neatly packed and the box was full of small bits of fun. (Yes. Godzilla.)

IMG_5932_zpsbaf629fc.jpg

Sweet mother of where-to-begin!?

IMG_5933_zpseafe5bbb.jpg

The aluminium parts are soooo nice! I almost feel like I want to order more and make a chess set. :D

Well. That's a start for now. Will return with a lot of questions soon.

Question time.

I will be making the first cuts into my mask this weekend. As you can see from the pictures above it came marked where to cut

out the eyes, blood splitters and the mouth. There's also marked where to put the head spikes. So far so good.

I would, however, need to research

- if and how to put in fans and extra vent holes for them

- if and how to raise the hearing while inside the helmet.

-- Either by cutting holes for by the ears, covered with mesh and then the wraps.

-- and/or adding mikes under the wrap and headphones for hearing.

Thoughts and input are welcomed. :)

Moving on to the thinking-out-loud part of this post...

Since I'll be doing a double build with tusken ad A'Sharad Hett I will need to figure out a neat way of attaching and detaching A'Sharad Hett's braid.

In the CRL the picture shows the braid coming out from lower mid of the mask (below).

DZ_hett_braid.jpg

The CRL (http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:DZ_asharad_hett) states

A waist length, dark brown braid emerges from the back of helmet.

The standards discussion about the Hett CRL here (http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=2037) states

A long braid must extend from the back of helmet down the costumers back, the costumers own or simulated hair may be used.

While it's not clear, appart from looking at the reference picture in the CRL, in what manner the hair should extend from the back.

I think it might be tricky to pull your own hair out of the mask, and it have to be quite long.

The CRL picture matches the braid placement and style with this reference picture

Duel_on_Tatooine_%28Imperial_era%29.JPG

From Wookieepedia's article on the Duel on Tatooine where Hett duels (and loses) Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars: Legacy 16: Claws of the Dragon, Part 3 - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duel_on_Tatooine_(Imperial_Period)

I assume that this is where the CRL builder have gotten the inspiration from, and it is also the Hett I'll be aiming for.

There are, however, other references for other braid-sollutions. I've seen one reference picture of the mask open in an upside down U-shape on the back to let the braid out.

(Right now I cannot seem to find the picture of it).

Anyway. I like the Duel on Tatooine picture version as it is the most traditional (ANH) tusken.

My idea

To cut a small hole in the back, hidden by loose-ish wrapping, where I can easily attach/detach the braid.

The extra wrapping for the braid would be attached to the braid and would be attached with it and tucked away or hooked on discreetly to the main wraps.

I think it's doable but I will not be moving on to this until I've figured out the “normal” tusken issues on the top of this post. Thought and input are, however, very welcome at any point.

I think I've rambled on enough for one post. :)

That is real hair, just a small hole if the back of the cap... A fake braid could be managed in the same way, and still be removable, a small hole with the braid secured inside the helmet, when you go tusken just pull it out...

As for hearing as a tusken, your kinda boned, could put ear holes, I've seen people do that... For ventilation, I put a small fan in the mouth, of the mask. My build is a soft cap with a removable face. I've seen people put fans in the top of some hard tusken helmets, not sure how that would work.

Hi Shawn,

Real hair!? I'm impressed. I didn't think that would be very manageable. Well done!

And kudos on being the first A'Sharad Hett *bow*. I really love your work and I'll be, naturally, keeping a close eye on your work leading up to it. :)

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

I just bought the Star Wars Legacy comic with the Duel scenes (volume 3)

I'll look into more later. If you have any tips on further reading to get into the character I'd be very happy for your input too.

Cheers!

///Maxim

:P It's not hard, of course I have my wife to help out. In fact the hair is what inspired me to build A'Sharad. Thanx, always happy to share. Incidentally when I built A'Sharad I also made an OT tusken as well, just used the same helmet and boots...

Well A'Sharad has a some screen time in the Clone Wars series, a few scenes in the Legacy reflect back to his experiences during the clone wars and some interactions with Anakin.

If you want to know about his early life, Outlander which I have to find is about A'Sharad and his Father, and explains how A'Sharad came to be a Jedi.

Well. I have very dark brown hair but I'll hope I'll be finished with this build before it's waist long, so I'll try to find a wig to butcher somewhere. :)

Thanks for the info. Might be a good idea to have some background to the character.

Please tag (no pun intended) along for the ride. I will be needing a lot of inside information as this project progresses. :)

Got started with my mask this weekend. Man is that latex tricky to work with! :)

Some process pictures and thoughts.

Workspace setup. Not much to tell. Bits and pieces and an exacto knife.

IMG_5950_zps551af6f0.jpg

Started, like everyone else I assume with the eyes.

IMG_5951_zps917baf12.jpg

My initial thought was to do a rough cut out and then just trim away the extras until it mas a nice circle.

This was harder than I expected. The latex is really thick and flexes. Duh! :)

Took some patience and a bit of finger pricking but eventually I ended up with ok eye holes.

Behold!

IMG_5952_zpsd08325d9.jpg

After getting my tusken eye-sight I decided to get my head spikes on.

I figured it would be an easy thing to get on. Wrong. Well. Same as before. Latex. :)

First I tried to simply punch a hole with a small round file.

IMG_5953_zps596556ff.jpg

It made a hole alright... but not nearly enough to get the screws for the spikes through.

So I got out the big guns.

IMG_5954_zps2c663bce.jpg

Better, but the latex still have the healing power of a cheerleader so I still had to exacto my way through.

Said and done. At this point the urge to do a selfie was overwhelming. Voilà!

IMG_5955_zps9a924e33.jpg

Next stop: Full facial.

Cut out the holes for the blood splitters, and mouth.

IMG_5956_zps1c18e19d.jpg

Trying the mask on a few times, trying to look menacing, I realised my head-nose ratio didn't agree too well with the, so far, unmodified mask.

I've seen many builds where a hole is cut out for the nose, and the included instructions also suggested this mod for comfort.

Who am I to argue with my nose and conventional wisdom?

IMG_5957_zpsf063e12f.jpg

I'm very glad this isn't how the mask will look finished. :)

And also. The leftovers.

IMG_5958_zps934867f7.jpg

All in all a nice evening and a good start.

This week I'll be getting my buzz on with amazing goop, leather, and latex.

(Now there's a sentence that would be weird in any other context ;) )

Question

I realised some leather parts are quite rigid and it feels I would almost break it if I try to bend it to the mask.

Any thoughts on how to male the leather more flexible for bending?

Cheers!

Got side tracked a tad.

I have, however, been looking for textile and patterns for the clothes and I am currently waiting for a long wig that I will turn into a braid... so it's moving albeit slowly. :)