• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Severe Flooding in areas of Badlands Garrison

Nefthys

A state of emergency has been declared in many parts of Southern Alberta due to extreme flooding. Most of the the down town core of Calgary is flooded and over 100,000 people have been evacuated from their homes. Our garrison has been asking for roll calls on our facebook page and it seems all our members are doing okay, albeit soggy. Please keep us in your thoughts as we get through this. The clean up is going to be a pretty big job!

If you want to follow the news there are many sites covering it, or have videos. You can also google "Calgary flood 2013" to get a good idea of how bad it is.

http://globalnews.ca/video/661728/raw-v ... -flooding/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s ... tions.html

Needless to say our troop this weekend has been cancelled. Scuba Clone costume anyone?

Cheers,

Nef

With the water receding and people being allowed to return home, now comes the hardest part; rebuilding. This is an amazing video put together that is quite inspiring.

Thankfully our 501st members are all safe and accounted for.

A few pictures to give you an idea of the scale of flooding that hit our province.

The downtown core and stadium in Calgary flooding.

calgary-1_zpsc1fd4be1.jpg

Inside our hockey stadium. It was flooded all the way up to the 12th row at it's worst.

IMG_7583_std_zps6cfd8e35.jpg

Roads, bridges and train tracks have been washed out cutting off several towns in the mountains. The army and construction crews have worked around the clock to get access back to these areas.

8565401_zps445800a1.jpg

Many houses were completely surrounded, and some washed away.

alberta-flooding_zps6506b99c.jpg

alberta-1_zpsa9229244.jpg

highriver_zps552f4239.jpg

I'll be heading down to Calgary next week to help out where ever I can with the clean up. Flood in my city hasn't been nearly as bad as other areas hit in our province thankfully. I'll be a bit busy and pre-occupied over the next couple weeks. Some of my friends were hit by this flood so I'll be doing all that I am able to help them get back on their feet and moving towards rebuilding.

Cheers,

Nef