• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out theĀ New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Dawn's Starkiller: Dark Apprentice: !!!!CLEARED!!!

Kylo

Haven't commented in a while. I must say that you have done an awesome job recreating this costume. I can't believe how fast you did it too. I will say this and please please PLEASE don't take take this the wrong way but it looks like to me that the hood might be too big in the back. Just my opinion. Other than that it looks pretty much spot on. Do you plan on submitting it to the 501st for an official CRL or did you just do it for fun?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for posting!

Ā 

I was thinking the same about the hood. I was going to do a exact side by side comp to see (hood up and hood down). To me, in some scenes it looks larger. then in some, it looks just right.

Ā 

Also I am not 100% happy with the way it is "laying" Its a Linen outside and its lined with a Cotton/Canvas type liner to give it that STIFF (stand on your own look) Basically I can put the hood where I want and it STAYS! I am not entirely happy with it. Ive almost debated taking out the liner.

But in the Reference, Its obvious that he does not have any kind of sew line running down the front of the hood. (As I do not as well. Which tells me it does need to be lined. (with something) I just wonder if I have gone a bit to far.

To big is good. That I can fix, easily. To small is NOT. I cant "make" material. But I sure can take it out! =)

Ā 

Also Question (anyone feel free to answer) To me, it feels to large going backwards behind my back (the lengh) It feels just right (or close) on the sides of the armor (the width).

Ā 

Ā 

I am submitting this baby! I want to try and get it as SPOT ON as I can before I do that! :D

Ā 

I have some sort of weird thing..I want to do a Legion 1st SO BAD! Yeah yeah I know.. weird.

Ā 

Ā 

ALSO UPDATE: The pieces have 2 Coats of wood glue now on them. Resin coming soon.

Ā 

Ā 

I just wanna say, as a GWL, you're going to be a nightmare to get all your photos uploaded to the right places due to all your SL designations. But congrats and holy jeeze you're on fire.

Ā 

DON'T HATE ME!! *scurries off to hide* Thank you so much good sir!! ...I can offer fresh baked cookies for all the amazing hard work you guys do. Its a time consuming job, and I thank you. =)

Ā 

Pouch: Yep! There is a small pouch beside the buckle. I am confused on it though... is it a Covertec Clip/Pouch? I had not made that yet because I keep looking at it trying to figure it out.

Ā 

I'm going to have to say it's a pouch. I can see why you might think it's a Covertec clip, as it's about the right size, but if you look at the details in some of your own photo reference, you can see what definitely looks like a flap on the front. I'll include a link to a 501st Vader CRL pic of Vader's Covertec clip from ROTS. I think you'll be able to see the differences between it and your photo reference of the piece in question. Here's the link - http://www.501st.com/databank/File:Lightsaberclip.jpg

Ā 

And here's a couple of slightly enhanced versions of two of your pics for reference -

StarkillerCUBeltDetail.jpg

5_zps02e1976djpgoriginal.jpg

Hope this helps regarding this part! :)

Ā 

Ā 

Now, onto other matters. With regards to the size issue questions on the hood, I'm not entirely sure I agree that it's too long, as much as HOW IT LAYS ON YOUR BACK! You have one GREAT reference of the backside of Starkiller while he's got the hood up & on.

Here's the pic I'm talking about - It's the image on the upper right side.

4_zps2957bcdajpgoriginal.jpg

Ā 

And here's a slightly enhanced version of the pic I'm talking about. -

Starkiller1b.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Now in the above two pics, it looks like the hood comes almost halfway down his back. However, look at how it lays across his back up near the shoulder area. It's fairly close to the body there, & doesn't bunch up much until more than half way down the length of the hood. Now for comparison, look at your rear view pic with the hood up. Here it is -

9188032932_53eacc7f8d_b.jpg

Ā 

See how your material is all bunched up at the top, & then hangs a bit more loose at the bottom. It's actually almost like it's laying opposite of how it should. In terms of length, it's close in this shot to the reference pic above. It could maybe even be a bit longer, as it looks like it's not quite reaching the center of your back. You may actually be right in your observation that the canvas liner that you used to stiffen the hood may actually be working against you! :? I'm not sure what you would substitute for your liner though. :?: I wonder...Is there a way you could line the very front of the hood that is sitting on your head, & is visible when you're wearing it from the front, leave the center half with no lining, & then line/weight the last quarter to make the very back part a bit heavier, so it pulls that part down more, & bunches it up? I don't know if this makes sense, or is even feasible, as I CAN'T SEW to save my life! LOL!!! It just seems like if the part directly behind your head wasn't lined, it would sit closer to your back, & if the last quarter were heavier, it'd pull that part down more, & make it bunch up where you want it to. Does that make ANY sense? Again, these are just some observations I had while looking at your reference, & is ONLY MY OPINION! I do think you need to come up with something better regarding the hood, as something's not quite right with it yet. However, what that is will ULTIMATELY BE UP TO YOU IN THE END! :wink: If I were you, I'd experiment a bit before removing any fabric though, because as you said, it's EASY to TAKE some of it AWAY, but PUTTING IT BACK ONCE IT'S GONE IS A DIFFERENT STORY!!! I HAVE FAITH that you'll come up with a CREATIVE SOLUTION to this problem! GOOD LUCK, & I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH!!! 8)

UPDATE

Ā 

I see exactly what you mean and are explaining! I seem to have solved the issue!

I hope this makes sense

I tore out half the liner (the back) I lined it with a thinner material *only in the back* and reattached it to the hood. Then I pulled and tucked on the right and left rather than the center (I had already pulled the hood up a taste before) so now it has that "drape" effect :D

Ā 

Ā 

PS- I am still waiting on my 65D Resin!

My husband would let me purchase nothing else.

I will post my results (of course)

After seeing that video you posted Jeff he insisted that we only use that

Unfortunately its being shipped from PA to CA haha

He did all the sanding/glue work. He and I love the result thus far.

We can not wait to see how this turns out!!

UPDATE

Ā 

I see exactly what you mean and are explaining! I seem to have solved the issue!

I hope this makes sense

I tore out half the liner (the back) I lined it with a thinner material *only in the back* and reattached it to the hood. Then I pulled and tucked on the right and left rather than the center (I had already pulled the hood up a taste before) so now it has that "drape" effect :D

Ā 

Ā 

PS- I am still waiting on my 65D Resin!

My husband would let me purchase nothing else.

I will post my results (of course)

After seeing that video you posted Jeff he insisted that we only use that

Unfortunately its being shipped from PA to CA haha

He did all the sanding/glue work. He and I love the result thus far.

We can not wait to see how this turns out!!

Ā 

GLAD to hear you resolved your issue with the hood! :) GOOD LUCK with the SmoothCast 65D. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE UPDATED PICS ONCE YOU GET MORE DONE!!! 8)

SORRY!! I poofed hehe.

Ā 

UPDATE!!

Ā 

Alright, this stuff is AMAZING!

Ā 

A few Tips for anyone who hasnt used

Ā 

-Buy a TON of paintbrushes you will use a new one every few minutes

-Buy ONLY the paint brush sponges, The cheaper the PB the better as you WILL throw them away.

-Only mix as much as you can use in a few min or less time period (we recommend 1 ounce)

-Be prepaired to work FAST, it dries SO FAST its insane.

-If heavily bent it begins to crack, I do not know if more coats will make it hold up better.

Ā 

Ā 

I dont have any pretty pictures!

But pictures they are.

3 coats have been applied thus far.

1.50 @ Walmart

20130714_172154_zps80aa7f59.jpg

Ā 

Here is the hubby painting the armor, showing the trashcan full of paint brushes

Ā 

20130714_104541_zps09ac7a64.jpg

Ā 

2 coats unsanded

20130714_172133_zps12137fb1.jpg

Ā 

3 coats sanded

20130714_172142_zps4729a37b.jpg

Ā 

3 coats sanded

20130714_172122_zps09d220aa.jpg

Ā 

I am going to watch the video again and see what he recommends for painting. Husband wants to get plastic primer?

TO DO LIST

Ā 

__ Paint Chest Armor

__ Paint Gauntlets

__ Paint Chest Box

__ Inlay red on chest box

__ Make belt buckle from aluminum BELT BUCKLE: 0/100%

__ Make small pouch that goes on the belt

VERY COOL! If I might add a comment, based on observing your pics, it looks like you may want to add another coat or 2 of the 65D before priming, as it looks like your coating of the parts is a bit uneven. I believe the 65D dries white, so based on that, you can kind of see from your pics that the coating isn't totally even across the whole surface of the armor. As I have yet to try this on my armor, I'm sure this is EASIER SAID THAN DONE, ESPECIALLY WITH AS FAST AS YOU SAY THIS STUFF DRIES! :shock: As far as what paint to use, I've had no experience personally, but it would seem like a good primer that's good for use on plastic should be fine. You might want to try testing some on a piece of scrap foam that's been coated with the 65D first though, before using it on your actual armor pieces! The primer should also let you know if you need to do more sanding or filling on your parts before applying the finished color paint on the parts. GOOD LUCK! I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CONTINUED PROGRESS ON THIS! EXCITING STUFF!!! 8)

Thank you Jeff! I agree! Despite it being even (width) across it. The hubby says that as he paints it on, it turns white and where you see the white on it its when its started to dry as he paints. I am gad we are getting practice on this thing!

Ā 

5 coats down now btw!

Ā 

Ok I located a Plastic Spraypaint. Its black Gloss. I wonder how this will look.

The sanding is even,

It feels 100% hard as a rock on all parts *watches video again* I want to make sure this is right.

Glad to hear you've done a few more coats of the 65D. BEFORE YOU PUT ANY PAINT ON YOUR ARMOR, PLEASE TEST IT ON A SCRAP PIECE THAT'S BEEN COATED FIRST! You definitely DON'T want to test it on your armor, only to find out the HARD WAY that the paint you've chosen ISN'T COMPATIBLE! I would suggest that you use a grey primer on your armor before you coat it with the gloss black. The lighter color of the primer will help you to better see where sanding may still be required. I know you say that you've sanded everything even, but you'd be SURPRISED what you may see once you put the grey primer on. It'll REALLY bring out ANY surface IMPERFECTIONS that YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SEE! You may find that you need to add some Bondo to some areas & re-sand things to get everything just right. I'd suggest taking your time, as this ISN'T something you want to RUSH! Believe me, YOU'LL BE REWARDED IN THE END! GOOD LUCK! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR NEXT UPDATE! 8)

Ok nervous here. About to turn in these pictures, unless you guys think anything is wrong.

Ā 

To nit pick myself.

Ā 

-I should move the vader box up a touch Its sits about an inch to low. Its still detachable so its a 2 second fix.

-I HATE my vader box its ugly I am going to do one with real working lights. Its in the works

-I am going to affix velcro to my Chest armor. to keep it down really good!

Ā 

Anyways, heres the slew of pictures

Jeff thank you so much for your help. Your amazing.

Ā 

9405300662_cca0a5ce39_k_zpsb03f2b51.jpg

9405305072_b15a7bc636_k_zps5805971a.jpg

9405305968_08940200bc_k_zpsf7b0e126.jpg

9405311444_d319c2f870_k_zps520294cf.jpg

9405357338_8dc11a1dc0_k_zpsabdebe3f.jpg

9405288012_1704ca4ce3_k_zps84e7f084.jpg

9405302534_8727bb3333_k_zps970e98ef.jpg

9405299690_677e76e257_k_zpsfc3dc215.jpg

9405298770_c475e8ad1b_k_zps8337b70e.jpg

9405291990_0085722199_k_zpsb91e4b5a.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I am SO SORRY I poofed for So LONG!

Ā 

2 Days before San Diego Comic Con we put in a bid on a home In San Diego

Saturday @ Comiccon I found out we got the house

We havent stopped scrambling to get paperwork and documents since finding out we got the house! Finally got a chance to get everything "done"!!

Ā 

I still feel like there is so much I can do to this costume (and will) I love the style.

Thank you so much you guys!

I still haven't turned it in. So if you guys see ANYTHING off let me know.

Of course I will link the judges to this post. So IF I make any changes I am sure they will be made aware of them. Id hope they check this page! haha

WOW!!! Overall, it looks INCREDIBLE!!! The armor looks GREAT! If I have any criticism, other than the few things you've already mentioned to change, it's the belt buckle. It's definitely a step up from what you did with your first attempt, but in my opinion the circular area needs to be raised above the rest of the buckle, to match Vader's buckle. It's a small but important detail for this piece. Other than that, this looks FANTASTIC!!! GREAT JOB!!! GOOD LUCK with your submission! 8)

100% agree Jeff!

I can do that raise really quickly, but also I was thinking about just saying forget it and just buying one of those LOVELY aluminum ones! They are inexpensive and beautiful! I think it would do the trick. I can just order one now :D

Ā 

Its so close to the Vader one. I feel its almost silly to make one. Ill throw the raise on tomorrow though! Ill post some pics ;)

Some quick side by side comps I worked up

Ā 

sidebyside2_zpsf28c37d6.jpg

sidebyside1_zps092d11de.jpg

sidebyside3_zps58d47ac0.jpg

sidebyside4_zpsd45c96c1.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Starting on my Next costume in a few days!

Ā 

I cant decide on SWTOR Revan or Battle Damaged Vader

I have ALL the supplies for both! :)