• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Dawn's Starkiller: Dark Apprentice: !!!!CLEARED!!!

Kylo

COMPLETE IMAGE

See more @ Page 7

6_zps5d015051.jpg~original

I would like to personally thank everyone for their help, I could honestly have not done it without the help from the Flagship eclipse, you guys strive for excellence and it shows. Thank you for pushing my limits further, I am a better costumer because of the help from the members (all of the members) judges, and mentors.

CANON IMAGES

swtfu22011-01-3118-01-59-88-2.png

DistantThunderNoWeakness.jpg

Galen_Marek_evil_clone.png

Galen_Marek_dark_clone_looks_at_Juno.png

IN GAME RENDER MOVIE

1080p Cinematic : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq6H32ssn0c

MY CRL GUIDELINES

Alright theres what I got.

If anyone would so kindly let me know if I have ANYTHING off? I mean anything.

Nit pick it.

I want to do it right. We all miss things.

I want to be Very Clear Here

This is NOT the 501sts CRL. I WROTE THIS

Its not nearly as well written as the 501st would do, this is more for my reference.

1_zps7bdaba2d.jpg~original

dfdss_zpsec38e94e.jpg~original

3_zps0ff06953.jpg~original

4_zps2957bcda.jpg~original

ssdds_zpse5e66b55.jpg

CORRECTIONS TO MY CRL

Skirt Correction

1 piece in front

2 pieces on sides wrapping around back and slit down the center

4 tabard end pieces hanging just past skirt

(Review these movies)

Ok so I just watched the video another 5 times and played back some sections 20+ times.

I am about to start on this costume, I am going to do the parts I am SURE about.

Things I think I am sure on

Skirt

Mid Calf length

3 Pieces

Splits down the back and sides

Front has a single panel

At 2m50s (1080p) you can see the skirt split really well in the back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq6H32ssn0c

Heres gameplay of the costume: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33pUssFaEwg

Shoulder Bells Correction

1. You can see they are not quite shoulder bells. they are in fact a second set of armor. You can see in the high res images of the top of the armor swooping across the neck at the base of the neck

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a couple more images. I used to have a ton of reference images of this costume but they were lost to the sands of time. I will try to find some more though. If you need help with anything else I will be glad to add my limited knowledge to help you. I've been wanting to see someone make this costume for a while now. It is my all time favorite. Please keep us updated on it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

I am in the process of writing my (personal and FAKE) CRL for the costume right now. Just lays out and tells me exactly what I need to do it. I will post it this afternoon.

I am so excited to do this costume!! :D

Thank you for a response! Looking at it yes, thats def something to look into. Ill look at the ventress a bit. You can always find so many comparisons between one character to the next thank goodness to figure out what is going on! This is a dark costume and it doesn't help that most the screenshots I/we have is in the rain!

swtfu22011-01-3118-01-59-88-2.png

This is the brightest image I have to date. Thats where I can see that swooping line across the neckline. Ill draw some concepts of it and see what folks say to it. Thats one of the last pieces ill be doing (aside from the gauntlets) So its still a week or 2 away (I am sewing a Generic Jedi robe then I am starting on this costume). I hope I can come up with a reasonable solution and a Costume mentor to hopefully pop in here and say some thoughts on it as well.. I know I am at the begining stages. But this is where you want to make darn sure nothings wrong. WHy waste time, effort and materials

I need to buy centra for the gauntlets I think.. i think that will look nice

WOW, you move FAST! Just finish one costume, & already on to something new!LOL! That's alright, as I'm a lot the same way! I really like the look of this costume. It's very Vaderish in its look, with the upper armor somewhat reminding me of Vader's chest armor, the lighted box reminding me of Vader's chest box, & the belt buckle being the same as Vader's. Even the robes somewhat remind me of Vader's inner robes. Granted, I know there are definitely differences between this costume & Vader's, but it has a similar feel about it to me! Anyway, NICE CHOICE! GOOD LUCK with this! I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR PROGRESS!!! 8)

I cant stop making costumes Lord Vader x.x I am slightly obsessed with costuming.

So sorry I have been quite unresponsive this weekend, my kids (1 and 3 years old) have been quite active.

Also when I trooped at Legoland last week my hubby (semi) Wrangled for me and 3 others (we lost many of our wranglers after 1pm) so he stepped in and took photos and got us water etc. haha. On our way home he gave in and said I could finally make him a costume. I have been trying to just talk him into a Generic Jedi (He wants to join the 501st) I just wanted to get him trooping no matter which group and i can do a Gen. Jedi no problem. Anyways, long story short I made him this costume this weekend. :)

jedi1_zpsfd00a321.jpg

Quite the discontented Jedi if I do say so myself. He is going to respect the coolness of this costume after he gets his Vader i bet.. I hear they are quite..hot? :)

and I turned my hubbys costume into the Rebel Legion tonight

front_zps30176622.jpg

prop3_zps9533b757.jpg

action1_zps19f59263.jpg

I think I will be starting on the Red Chest (Vader) box firstfor this costume. Going to do a layout of the costume and then watch tutorials (again) on making props. :)

I cant stop making costumes Lord Vader x.x I am slightly obsessed with costuming.

So sorry I have been quite unresponsive this weekend, my kids (1 and 3 years old) have been quite active.

Also when I trooped at Legoland last week my hubby (semi) Wrangled for me and 3 others (we lost many of our wranglers after 1pm) so he stepped in and took photos and got us water etc. haha. On our way home he gave in and said I could finally make him a costume. I have been trying to just talk him into a Generic Jedi (He wants to join the 501st) I just wanted to get him trooping no matter which group and i can do a Gen. Jedi no problem. Anyways, long story short I made him this costume this weekend. :)

jedi1_zpsfd00a321.jpg

Quite the discontented Jedi if I do say so myself. He is going to respect the coolness of this costume after he gets his Vader i bet.. I hear they are quite..hot? :)

I think I will be starting on the Red Chest (Vader) box firstfor this costume. Going to do a layout of the costume and then watch tutorials (again) on making props. :)

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND about being obsessed with costuming! I find myself being this way QUITE FREQUENTLY! There's ALWAYS another costume I want to do! I've actually had to reign myself in to a certain degree, as this can become ALL CONSUMING, not to mention EXPENSIVE!!! I've learned to focus on a few that I really want to do, & pour everything into them, until they're at a level of "Perfection" I'm happy with. I've been upgrading my Vader every since I joined the 501st, trying to get all the little details just right! These things take time, & LOTS of $$$ UNFORTUNATELY! :? I've got a few other Non-Star Wars costumes that I've also been upgrading, most recently my Indiana Jones & my Batman! They're finally getting close to the level of accuracy I've been striving for! The same thing goes for my son's Starkiller, which I've been working on upgrading for over a year now! It seems like these things are NEVER REALLY COMPLETE!!! LOL!!! :)

By the way, VERY NICE JOB on the Jedi costume for your husband! It looks GREAT for something you just "threw together" in a short amount of time! And YOU'RE RIGHT, he WILL LEARN to RESPECT how COOL it is, ESPECIALLY compared to a Vader!!! VADER IS A SAUNA, & THAT'S NO JOKE!!! :lol: GOOD LUCK TO YOU in your future costuming endeavors! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR NEXT CREATION!!! 8)

Yay! My husbands Rebel Legion costume was approved this morning!

Oh i so hear you on the upgrades, but just as time goes on we realize more and more what flaws lie within our costumes (we are the worst critics!!) Every time I take out my Amidala gown I have to do hours worth of work on it just to take it out again. There is so many variables to costuming. So much to pay attention to. I love every second of it!

Ive started offering sewing to friends just so that I can get the sewing bug out of my system... Its so fun to create things (and see the stuff in action) Ive come to realize that I have to many costumes! and to many more that I want! :) Its so much fun though!

Heres where I am progress wise

**IGNORE THE BELT!!! Its my Sith Belt..Its the only thing holding the costume on me!***

I accidentally shoved the secondary belt under the pants instead of the obi. I haven't attached it yet, but yes it is in the wrong place

9147871858_42f03236d0_c.jpg

9147874436_369b304d5f_c.jpg

9145650227_0f48edb7f1_b.jpg

INDIVIDUAL PIECES

9145652881_e50b25696d_c.jpg

9145653329_025cd39363_c.jpg

9147876508_d81e19ca5b_c.jpg

9145649401_77398b6de1_c.jpg

PLEASE IF ANYONE SEES ANYTHING WRONG OR OFF DON'T HESITATE TO YELL!! :)

WOW, you work FAST! I'm no expert, but it looks like a pretty good start to me! I think once you get more completed, so we can see more of the details, it'll be a bit easier to tell how this is coming together. I wish there was better reference, as it's a little hard to tell some of the details! How are you handling the rear details on the costume? From the image references you've posted thus far, there doesn't seem to be too many rear views available. Do you have good photo reference for the back of the costume? I know I've struggled with similar issues with my son's Lord Starkiller, as the rear of the costume has A LOT of details, that have been hard for me to translate into reality based on the LIMITED photo reference available! Anyways, you've got a GREAT START on this! CAN'T WAIT to see more! GOOD LUCK! 8)

This has been so poorly put on me. The hood and back look atrocious.

20130627_1715330_zpsdc845c14.jpg

20130627_171544_zpsac44ea0c.jpg

20130627_171527_zps6a3b1b2a.jpg

INDIVIDUAL PIECES

Hood

20130627_190406_zpscf519abe.jpg

Neck Collar

20130627_190309_zpsa75fca09.jpg

Obi Then belt then Vader Box Belt

20130627_190242_zps634bad39.jpg

Vader Box/Belt/Obi and Belt all on top of each other

20130627_190145_zpsf2df5e67.jpg

Vader Box IN PROGRESS PIECES

20130627_190035_zpsb738185b.jpg

Thank so much for the kind words jeff and blitz. Lord Jeff I completely agree, I feel like I will be able to see the details better as more pieces come together. I have decent photo reference of the back. and unlike your sons amazing costume there is not nearly as much going on. THe one thing my ref does tell me is that there is no visible hooks on anything, you can't see where one item stops and ends, all I can foresee doing is that placing the hooks behind the tabard when I do the final setup should do it

CHEST ARMOR IN PROGRESS

TO DO:

GLUE INLAY INTO IT

SPRAY PLASTIDIP

PAINT

20130628_142715_zpsed5fb1c4.jpg

GLOVES IN PROGRESS

-GLOVES BEFORE HOT GLUE WAS APPLIED, THIS SHOWS THE PATTERN I MADE

20130628_154315_zps579f60b0.jpg

CHEST ARMOR IN PROGRESS

SHOWING ORIGINAL PATTERN AND DESIGN

20130628_113119_zps1f5700a5.jpg

GLOVES IN PROGRESS

TO DO:

PAINT FINAL LITTLE PARTS

FIGURE OUT IF THIS IS IN FACT THE RIGHT COLOR.

20130630_084706_zps2b861de4.jpg

I am posting this in hopes that someone can offer some advice.

Can anyone look at my reference and tell me this.

Are the GAUNTLETS the same color as....

THE BELT BUCKLE (Dark Silver)

or

THE COSTUME (Black)

I have conflicting "evidence" thats my issue.

WHY: I feel like it might be a black "shiny" metal. I keep watching the video and seeing different things

So I painted it matte black with Plexidip and then lightly spray painted the silver. I feel like I might still be to light.

Looking at some of the ref... I am inclined to think its the EXACT same material as the chest armor. Which is Shiny black.

Thank you so much for ANY help/ Advice!

Update: I Went back and sprayed it black.

I would have to concur with you in your final assessment that the gauntlets are black. I think the sheen on it is making light reflect off the surface in strange ways, that give the illusion, at times, that the armor is silver or a dark gunmetal color. I've actually been having a similar issue regarding the actual color of the armor for the Sith Acolyte, which is the costume I'm currently working on. The armor on all the approved Acolytes thus far have been silver or a gunmetal color, but to my eye, I think the armor may actually be black! I think its the same thing at play, where the semi-reflective surface of the armor can give the appearance of it being a color other than what it actually is, based on how the light is hitting it! It's FRUSTRATING at times, especially when there isn't an actual REAL costume that exist, or even very many GOOD QUALITY pics that exist for some of these characters that we're trying to bring to life! I guess that's where "Artistic license/interpretation" comes into play! In the end, you just have to try & make it as close as you can, based on the available reference material!

By the way, I wanted to tell you how BLOWN AWAY I've been with the SPEED of this build! For what you've done, in the amount of time you've done it, I'M IMPRESSED!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS FINISHED!!! 8)

Sewing the 2 lines into the shoulder bells (I am NOT 100% sure there are 3. I keep watching the video and not seeing them... Opinions??

20130630_115810_zpse85400a8.jpg

Black Gauntlets

20130630_233512_zps50d4dda3.jpg

Chest Armor that needs to becleaned up a touch and the hood needs to be attached

20130701_080107_zps42561cb3.jpg

.....and my Sith Robes were approved!!!! :)

Thank you so much to all of you for all your help!!! :)Huge thanks to you Lord Vader Jeff :)

Sewing the 2 lines into the shoulder bells (I am NOT 100% sure there are 3. I keep watching the video and not seeing them... Opinions??

20130630_115810_zpse85400a8.jpg

Man, that's a tough one! I can see why you might think it could be 2 or 3! You can really only see 2 lines clearly. The 3rd one may or may not actually be there! :? I wish there was BETTER REFERENCE to be sure!!! :x I guess I might error on the side of caution, & start with the 2 lines initially. You can always add another line later if it's needed, but taking away a line later, if you find out it's not supposed to be there, well that's a different story all together!

Black Gauntlets

20130630_233512_zps50d4dda3.jpg

Chest Armor that needs to becleaned up a touch and the hood needs to be attached

20130701_080107_zps42561cb3.jpg

Just out of curiosity, have you sprayed the foam with Plasti-Dip yet? Just wondering, as it looks like you just painted the foam with spray paint. Please don't take this as criticism, but your gaunts still look like they're made from foam. I think you're going to want to Plasti-Dip them or something, to make them look less like foam. To my eye, they're just not shiny enough, to give that solid metal look. If you haven't, you may want to do the same for your chest armor, as I can still see the foam texture from your pic. I've never actually tried using Plasti-Dip before, but I've heard it works pretty good on foam. Did you seal the foam before you painted it? If not, you may want to coat it with PVA glue to seal the pores in the foam, & then recoat with Plasti-Dip & then paint. I'd suggest testing it on some scrap foam that's been painted in a similar manner first though, as I don't know the affect of putting PVA on foam that's already been painted. I'm actually planning on making my armor for my Sith Acolyte out of EVA foam. First, I'll be brushing on several thin coats of Modge Podge (PVA) craft glue to seal the foam, & then coating it with Smooth-On's Smooth Cast 65D. I'll include a link to a youtube video that shows this technique, in case you're interested. Here it is -

.....and my Sith Robes were approved!!!! :)

Thank you so much to all of you for all your help!!! :)Huge thanks to you Lord Vader Jeff :)

THAT'S AWESOME NEWS!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR APPROVAL of your Sith Robes Starkiller! GLAD I COULD HELP OUT! 8)

especially when there isn't an actual REAL costume that exist, or even very many GOOD QUALITY pics that exist for some of these characters that we're trying to bring to life! I guess that's where "Artistic license/interpretation" comes into play! In the end, you just have to try & make it as close as you can, based on the available reference material!

Thank you for pointing that out! Hubby said the EXACT same thing! I went out and got another can of plexidip. I'm wondering if I should have just bought the bottle of it? I thank you for pointing this stuff out. It doesn't look good and I am thinking 4 more coats (or more) will make it look better? I have Never used plexi dip :D

Anyone know if the spray or can works better?

you may want to coat it with PVA glue to seal the pores in the foam,

Will do! See this is why I am here. Cause you guys are a LOT better at this than I :D I am going back to buy some now (and the HUGE can of plexidip haha)

Thank you thank you thank you for the tutorial!! *watches*

especially when there isn't an actual REAL costume that exist, or even very many GOOD QUALITY pics that exist for some of these characters that we're trying to bring to life! I guess that's where "Artistic license/interpretation" comes into play! In the end, you just have to try & make it as close as you can, based on the available reference material!

Thank you for pointing that out! Hubby said the EXACT same thing! I went out and got another can of plexidip. I'm wondering if I should have just bought the bottle of it? I thank you for pointing this stuff out. It doesn't look good and I am thinking 4 more coats (or more) will make it look better? I have Never used plexi dip :D

Anyone know if the spray or can works better?

you may want to coat it with PVA glue to seal the pores in the foam,

Will do! See this is why I am here. Cause you guys are a LOT better at this than I :D I am going back to buy some now (and the HUGE can of plexidip haha)

GLAD to help! As I HAVEN'T actually tried this technique on my build yet, that's why I suggested that you try this on some scrap foam first, before trying it on your actual parts. It'd be a shame if you ruined your armor, if it doesn't work for some reason! GOOD LUCK, & let me know how you make out! 8)

Ill do a small test first! =)

This is so great Jeff! This looks EASY! (I shouldn't say that) as it probably isn't. But wow thats a very straight forward tutorial! I will start the 1st half of the process tonight and finish the process tomorrow with the Poly. Ill take photos :D I love how this guy explains this all.

I am such a Noob I am so glad I have you all to help me!!

PS- I did a run of shots with the costume on. I will be applying your process to

-The "Vader Box"

-Outside Armor

-Belt Buckle

-Gauntlets

Lets see how much better it looks come tomorrow afternoon! =)

PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO YELL IF SOMETHING LOOKS OFF (IGNORE FOAM PIECES AT THIS POINT)

I am MUCH Fatter than Lord Starkiller haha!

TO DO

___ FILE DOWN EDGES OF FOAM REALLY WELL TO LOOK GOOD

___ MAKE GAUNTLETS MORE COMFORTABLE

___ SEAL FOAM

___ MAKE SURE THE UNDERSIDES TO EVERYTHING ARE COLORED BLACK (Obi underside)

___ TIGHTEN UP SLEEVES ON UNDER TUNIC

___ PLASTIDIP FOAM BOX/BELT/GAUNTLETS/CHEST ARMOR

___ AFFIX ATTACHMENTS TO UPPER ARMOR TO KEEP IT PUSHED DOWN MORE

___ WEAR PURE BLACK GLOVES

___ TAKE NEW PHOTOS

Heres some photos I just took. Cant wait to see the comparison after I do the Dip Correctly

9188018576_2bb3d7a627_b.jpg

9185272005_4481685156_b.jpg

9188071264_160eaf2b4d_b.jpg

9185244675_efc413d390_b.jpg

9188032932_53eacc7f8d_b.jpg

WOW, I step out of the room for a bit to eat some dinner, & come back to a BUNCH of pics of you in FULL GEAR! IMPRESSIVE!!! Overall, it looks GOOD! I do think it will look EVEN BETTER once you've Plasti-Dipped the armor! It really NEEDS THAT SHEEN to make it look like the reference pics! Right now it's TOO FLAT looking, & that gives the "illusion" that the parts aren't the proper color, when I believe they are! Also, in observing your pics, it appears that the belt buckle is off center. I'd recommend that you maybe attach velcro to the back of the buckle area to hold it in place against the layer below it, so it doesn't move around. And isn't there supposed to be some kind of pouch or something also attached to that belt near the buckle? Maybe you haven't made that piece yet. If I may also say, I'm not totally thrilled with your interpretation of the buckle! PLEASE DON'T TAKE OFFENSE, but being a Vader costumer, I'd just like to point out that the buckle that Starkiller is wearing appears to be almost the same as Vader's. I say almost because it doesn't appear to have the black rectangular piece that is the back piece on Vader's buckle. Instead it is just the silver detailed part that makes up Starkiller's buckle. I'll include a couple of pics of 2 different styles of Vader's buckle. Yes, I just said different styles! For the uninitiated, Vader's buckle is a bit different in its details in EVERY Star Wars movie he appears in! Anyways, here's a link to several pics from off the 501st Vader CRLs.

Here's the 1st-

http://www.501st.com/databank/File:SL_v ... _belt.jpeg

And here's the 2nd-

http://www.501st.com/databank/File:SL_v ... j_belt.jpg

Hope these helps! I think if you copy the details from the pics of the silver portion of the Vader buckle, your buckle will LOOK MUCH BETTER! I'm not sure which version Starkiller has for his buckle, as I can't see the details that well, but it looks a bit more like the ROTJ version, I think. Also, I'd recommend making the buckle out of Sintra, or some other harder material. Maybe even aluminum plating, as that's what the real thing is made of! You can use a dremel tool to cut the pieces out, add the details, & glue the parts together. Anyways, these are just suggestions! Take from them what you will! GOOD LUCK! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE PICS WITH THE CHANGES!!! 8)

What is thy bidding.. My Master? Yes its FAR to flat. I appreciate the crits. Your a Vader thats the top end of the costuming spectrum! :D Its perfection!

Belt: The belt is upside down, whoops. PS- I agree with you as well btw. Thank you for the ref! *looks* Thats why I posted that "fakie" breakdown of the costume. I miss things! Theres only so much you can see and take in! :D (and hope to get correct) Wow, now looking at the CRL. It is the same belt buckle. That really really helps!

Pouch: Yep! There is a small pouch beside the buckle. I am confused on it though... is it a Covertec Clip/Pouch? I had not made that yet because I keep looking at it trying to figure it out.

He is Mini Vader for goodness sakes, he should look just as good as his master!

I am so fortunate to have you helping me. Eternal thanks Lord Vader *bows*

I just wanna say, as a GWL, you're going to be a nightmare to get all your photos uploaded to the right places due to all your SL designations. But congrats and holy jeeze you're on fire.