• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Boots - a List of Potentials

Guest Kilryth

Guest Kilryth

Revan's boots are poorly detailed in-game, so there's a lot of options for boots.

I've constructed a small list of boot styles that I'm deciding between. There are multiple manufacturers of several of the styles, since many of them are your regular leather motorcycle boots.

I'm going for a 501st approval, but trying to add some additional character via fabric textures and such.

Which of these boots do you like best, and why?

First, Revan's in-game boot:

RevanBoot_zps831654e7.jpg

2) Merrell Shiver Boot - Hands down going to be the most comfortable boot:

MerrellShiver1_zps42d4c2cc.jpg

3) Polo Conquest Hi III - The boot requiring the most modification but has some neat textures. I would glue the zipper flaps down so you can't see the zipper up to the ankle. I would remove the ankle strap and install a toe strap to cover the rivets and "polo" logo. Questionable comfort?

PoloConquestHi3_zps2a8e037a.png

4) Xelement Inferno - Short boots with little need for modification (add a thicker Revan style strap over the toe strap). Questionable comfort?

XelementInferno_zps163d4f92.jpg

5) Xelement Predator - Long boots with little need for modification (add a thicker Revan style strap over the toe strap). Questionable comfort?

XelementPredator_zps34368f95.jpg

6) Xelement Tornado - Another long pair of boots with some neat details. Questionable comfort?

XelementTornado_zpsa0f7264e.jpg

7) Harley Davidson Kane - Short boot requiring the ankle strap be cut. Questionable comfort?

HarleyDavidsonKane_zps127c0de1.jpg

Of course there are other boots out there. If you know of a manueverable, comfy boot you can wear all day without your feet aching and still matches the Revan boot fairly well, please suggest it!

Guest Aysel

First off, good finds! They all look like they could be made to work for the Revan boots. A word of caution though, walking around for long periods of time in motorcycle boots will kill your feet. That being said I like your first find the best.

^_^

Guest Kilryth

Thanks!! I thought moto boots would hurt after several hours, since my dirt bike boots hurt. Going to try on the first pair now actually. :)

Guest Kilryth

Thanks all! How is it walking in those German WWII boots? I've never worn a pair, but I'd think that they are either really comfy for long periods of time because they're soldier boots from an elite military... or the exact opposite lol.

Those motorcycle boots look great!

I ordered a pair of those first boots, so we'll see how they work! :)

Thoughts:

1: I'm not a big fan of the sole detail on the side in all honesty, and if you wanted to get the lines to match, they don't for that one. Conversion would work pretty well with a strap but again the thick heels and designs on the side.

2: The straps look nice but those rivets would be a paint to get rid of, and the stamped polo is kind of a bummer. The soles are better though.

3: Same issues here, I like the taller boot better

4: Get rid of the straps and the metal plate and you might be on to something, you could do a big silver band in line with the lines of the source material and get some more security, but in losing the ankle strap you'd have an awfully loose boot.

5: The closest one so far in my opinion, even with the toe shifter it's a minor detail that wouldn't be bad. Any rider would probably ID the boot pretty quickly though.

6: My favorite of the bunch minus the stamp on the heel, I'd work to buff that out, and replace the strap to not have the rivets. It'd be the best candidate for doing a silver band/strap across like what I've been toying with in my head and with what DarthBrute mentioned at one point in his build.

What I wear: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_06707316000P?lid=IExTrans_ItemNumber_link&rioptype=SRS&sid=IEx20130103TransSearsShipConfirmation&eml= The ankle strap has been cut, carved down into the seam, and the white band in the middle painted over. I'm working on the idea of doing a silver band across the top but at the moment am hardcore in the middle of another build I'm trying to crank out before the upcoming banquet.

Guest Kilryth
Thoughts:

1: I'm not a big fan of the sole detail on the side in all honesty, and if you wanted to get the lines to match, they don't for that one. Conversion would work pretty well with a strap but again the thick heels and designs on the side.

2: The straps look nice but those rivets would be a paint to get rid of, and the stamped polo is kind of a bummer. The soles are better though.

3: Same issues here, I like the taller boot better

4: Get rid of the straps and the metal plate and you might be on to something, you could do a big silver band in line with the lines of the source material and get some more security, but in losing the ankle strap you'd have an awfully loose boot.

5: The closest one so far in my opinion, even with the toe shifter it's a minor detail that wouldn't be bad. Any rider would probably ID the boot pretty quickly though.

6: My favorite of the bunch minus the stamp on the heel, I'd work to buff that out, and replace the strap to not have the rivets. It'd be the best candidate for doing a silver band/strap across like what I've been toying with in my head and with what DarthBrute mentioned at one point in his build.

What I wear: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_06707316000P?lid=IExTrans_ItemNumber_link&rioptype=SRS&sid=IEx20130103TransSearsShipConfirmation&eml= The ankle strap has been cut, carved down into the seam, and the white band in the middle painted over. I'm working on the idea of doing a silver band across the top but at the moment am hardcore in the middle of another build I'm trying to crank out before the upcoming banquet.

Thanks for the input Tagion! Good observations! I may sand down the sides of the soles if they are too distracting. I might try to add a leather strap across the top to them; I haven't decided yet.

For others looking for similar style boots as Tagion's, those are 'Engineer' style motorcycle boots. A bunch of different boot manufacturers make the 'engineer' and 'harness' style boots. I also updated the original post with brand and model names. It's hard to find reviews on the comfort of motorcycle boots online b/c so many folks primarily wear them sitting down. My Fox dirt bike boots are very nice while riding... but they are AWFUL for walking, and you can forget about running lol. Too bad most/all combat boots have laces; I love my Magnum boots.

This is one of the few areas that I'm thankful that KOTOR's graphics were a bit outdated.. it's hard to find an exact match of boots to most costumes, especially a pair that are comfortable for 8 hour days at cons. With so many lines and color swirls in his boot textures, it's hard to tell what's going on exactly.. all you can really go off of is the general shape and the band lol.

Another comment, I thought of after mentioning:

Thanks to the game, all we see is below the ankle. As it is, I do have boots with buckles up top as you can see. However, between the hakama and putting my pants over the tops of the boots, that never gets seen, for the record.

When considering boots I would do similar unless you were set on tucking your pants into your boots.

Once I clear up my workbench and finish this custom Mando, I'll start digging into ways to strap/cover the boots a little better and make them more 'accurate'.

Edit: Also I think those first boots will probably be fine, and if you're comfortable sanding them I'd say go for it. Just make sure you plan your attack run before making your trench run. I took a knife to a 30 dollar leather trenchcoat this weekend and may have removed more material than I needed to. I'll make it work, but just be sure of every cut. :)

Guest Kilryth

Just an update: I received the #1 pair of boots, and I love them! I wish I bought these things sooner for general costuming!! They come midway up the shin, are very lightweight (like casual shoes), and are DARK. The photo I attached do not give them justice. These look like one dark shade of black. It's not quite a smooth grain leather like motorcycle boots, but it's not quite a rough grain like suede either. They look naturally worn a little, so there's no need to tear them up. The sole patterns and brand-name imprints do not stand out under normal lighting, and they really require a high-beam light (such as in the manufacturer photo I posted) to notice.

I'm very happy with this purchase and highly recommend them to anyone! They fit very similarly to Merrell's slip-on shoes, so I would try a pair of those on first before ordering any. www.zappos.com had the best price on these boots at the time of ordering (and free return shipping). They are just as supportive and comfy as my Merrell Hiking shoes, which I've worn for 8+ hour days of walking without any foot ache. No replacement footsoles needed.

Guest Kilryth
Just going to ask here instead of making a new thread. Before I buy my boots I wanted to know if either of these boots would be acceptable

http://www.epicmilitaria.com/product.ph ... 00f53c4cbb

http://www.ww2sale.com/reproductions-gu ... ft006.html

From what I understand, those are both WW2 German style boots that are commonly approved and accepted for Revan. You should be good to go with those; though one of the other members here recommended placing a new footbed in them.

Sounds good :) yeah I figured I'd probably have to fit something nice and squishy in the boots with all the standing and walkin around

I've been looking around for other boots now and have stumbled upon some in local stores. The boots that go up to around your ankle like in Kilryths pics, is that ok? are zippers ok like kristopherheids boots? I'm just wondering because of what is posted up on the reference library and wondering how critical people are going to be.

I'm assuming as long as it's black, the heel isn't too big, it has a rounded front then you're in the clear with or without the optional strap that goes across the toes.

I caution against straps, rings, rivets, zippers if at all possible.

The reality of the situation is that boots are not a high priority issue on this costume and are usually a very minor factor for approval.

That said, I would suggest the information included in this thread as a good form of guidance and I recommend using your best judgement and the information presented here.

If you have something you'd like a specific question of, shoot us a picture and we'll happily pounce on it like hungry cheetahs.

Also looking for Darth Revan boots...and bumped into a pair of these when I was out and about. I have posted in another thread I started listing the shorter versions of these but it seems people prefer the longer ones for approval. Would need a little sanding of the emblem on the back of the boots but other than that I think it satisfies the requirements. Hoping for some clarification before I buy them.

http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/60142-001.html

Thanks!

~ Krell ~

I would like to warn against the difference in material there based on this image:

WebRevanSide2.jpg

However, that is a player model and not the NPC.

No images above the ankle exist but as a matter of reality, no one will likely see above your ankle anyway (scandalous!).

The reality is that I think the boots would be fine, so long as no one ever sees above your ankle.