• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas Marr in MA

Fennec

Ok, I have read Pam's tutorial for making the stencil. This is honestly the ONLY part holding me back from getting this outfit off the ground. I am a seamstress and most of the costumes I started with are some sort of medieval style which hers resembles (sort of) and I don't see any issues with any other part of this awesome costume except getting the pinwheels printed on properly.

So I guess I'm having a hard time reading the tutorial. How thick is the styrene that the stencil was made from? I am so worried about it falling apart. I thought about trying to make a stamp of some sort but I think in the long run, Pam's way is easier.

So one question and some support is what I'm asking for ;) lol

PS... if you had long hair would you just tuck it into the back of the costume neck?

hi and welcome on board

I too is in the making of the Visas Marr and I also had nightmares about the outerdress pattern, so I took a shortcut and got someone to make mine :wink: (from user: Aysel)

But since you have a good knowledge about sewing, I don´t think it´s going to be a big deal for you - and I´m sure, that you will get a lot of help in here too.

Have fun with your "build" - looking forward to follow it on the board.

Greetings from Denmark

Cheers

Guest Aysel

I used poster board to make my original stencil and have used it several times since, its held up really well (I also stored it flat ^_^)

visas-pinwheel2.jpg

I copied this out on a piece of regular 8x10, cut it out, then copied it 4 times on my poster board, then cut that out....needless to say my fingers were sore after all that exacto knife work. Good think now is that we've invested in a dye-cut printer, so if I ever have to re-cut it, I can make the machine do it ^_^

Just paint the pieces after you've cut them out and before you assemble the dress, you'll save yourself a lot of grief. And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask ^_^

Thanks for the image! I'm a bit confused on how to cut out the "stencil" without the entire thing falling apart. Is this something that I could get someone to make?

Again thanks for your input! I appreciate it muchly! :D

Thanks so much for that nice example! You've convinced me to try the poster board way. I bought a brand new exacto knife too, lol. I found inner dress material at Walmart for $1 a yard and all I had to do is mess with the dye to get it just the right color too! I've also ordered the Lumiere by jacquard fabric paint that Pam speaks well of in her tutorial. SO provided that this poster board and I come to a mutual agreement, I will have a Visas Marr soon! :D

Thanks for all the responses!

hey, they looks familiar! ^_^ which means your on the right track ^_^

^_^

Yup... all you girl! Of course, I'm at the cutting out part now and I'm cursing like a sailor, LOL!!

hey, they looks familiar! ^_^ which means your on the right track ^_^

^_^

Yup... all you girl! Of course, I'm at the cutting out part now and I'm cursing like a sailor, LOL!!

yup ^_^ the bad words flow during the cutting out process ^_^

So after a lovely bout with pneumonia and chronic bronchitis (whee!) I FINALLY finished the stencil!! :D Aysel you are a gem for sharing your photo because I basically made the same thing as you :) I appreciate the help!!

Back on track!

Oh BTW... I got my lightsaber too :D

1276591_650243465015726_20738562_o_zps1cc668eb.jpg

So after a lovely bout with pneumonia and chronic bronchitis (whee!) I FINALLY finished the stencil!! :D Aysel you are a gem for sharing your photo because I basically made the same thing as you :) I appreciate the help!!

Back on track!

Oh BTW... I got my lightsaber too :D

1276591_650243465015726_20738562_o_zps1cc668eb.jpg

I'm glad your feeling better.

Nice saber, very bright :)