• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Yuuzhan Vong

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I believe we would be the correct detachment for this slew of characters. Here's the Wookieepedia entry:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuzhan_Vong

In addition to the numerous books and whatnot that's listed at the bottom of the page, these guys also appear in the Star Wars miniatures game and Star Wars RPG by WotC.

Since these guys are the main antagonists in the New Republic era and have a ton of references, I can't see why they wouldn't be approved. Granted, this would be a huge undertaking as this would be a very difficult costume to do properly. I may be up to the task if this race would indeed be approved.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cleverlilminx

This detachment can not grantee legion approval for costumes in the research forums...

Are you going to do this costume yourself for sure?

Have you spoken to the LMO in regards to this costume?

I would strongly suggest touching base with the LMO about this costume and make sure you want to do it before we set up a forum for it's development. Unless there are other people planning to do this costume as well.

Also remember, be ready to have visual references ready to post here so you can get the help you need.

Guest Anonymous

Right now I'm totally just in the research phase. I'm not totally sure if I can do this now but I wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion on these guys.

ive been researching a Shaper costume for a while now...it would take alot of work.......and maybe it could be accepted as 501st...maybe under denizens catagory..although they are outsiders lol

Guest Anonymous
you know, there was at least one person who had a Yuuzhan Vong costume at CIV, so it looks like theres at least minimal interest. ill see if there is a pic of that costume. mine didnt turn out :(

EDIT** I just found a pic. Its from CIII, but I think its the same guy.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa16 ... 5/Vong.jpg

Yeah, I think that's the same guy from CIV.

At one of the events here in S. Cal. there was a guy who wore a Necromonger outfit from Chronicles of Riddick. It was made out of some hard rubbery foam that was pretty tough but flexible. Lots of detail. Someone said they use that material a lot in Hollywood but I can't seem to find out what the name of the stuff is. It would be the perfect material to use for the Yuuzhan Vong armor.

At one of the events here in S. Cal. there was a guy who wore a Necromonger outfit from Chronicles of Riddick. It was made out of some hard rubbery foam that was pretty tough but flexible. Lots of detail. Someone said they use that material a lot in Hollywood but I can't seem to find out what the name of the stuff is. It would be the perfect material to use for the Yuuzhan Vong armor.

It was most likely foam latex... which is very challenging stuff to work with, but creates AMAZING results if you can do it right. It's lightweight, fairly strong, flexible, and it takes the texture of the mold stunningly well. This is not the same stuff as mask/slush latex. Casting costume pieces in it is as much an art as a practical use of chemistry, and you have to have the right equipment, such as the mixers, temp and humidity guages, a good exhaust system, an injection gun if you're going that route, molds that have a core, and a convection oven large enough to hold your mold. (Once used for this purpose, the oven can no longer be safely used for food preparation. The heated foam latex leaves behind a chemical residue that isn't so good for us.)

Pam :-)

heya

i know quite a few guys who have the Necromonger armour and it isnt foam latex. It is a foam type...i was told what it was but cant for the life of me remember the name....but its firmer and harder than foam latex.

heya

i know quite a few guys who have the Necromonger armour and it isnt foam latex. It is a foam type...i was told what it was but cant for the life of me remember the name....but its firmer and harder than foam latex.

Hmm... I would guess that it's an expanding polyurethane foam, then. Soft and somewhat flexible... but considerably stronger and stiffer than foam latex. There are differfent types with a variety of qualities, ranging from soft and self-skinning to types that are quite rigid. (Problem is that while I know the different kinds of foam, I don't know the costume... so I can't picture what the pieces look like!)

Guest Anonymous

Hehe, this has turned into the Necromonger thread :D

I'm going to ask around about the guy who was at the event that wore the Necromonger outfit. I really need to find out what that stuff is because it's perfect for the Yuuzhan Vong armor. Then I can go about finding out how feasable it will be for me to work with that material. The mystery continues...

Ah, okay.... armor. I originally thought the discussion was about material used for a vong type mask. Foam latex is the best for that. (Or mask latex, if foam isn't feasible.) For body armor, however.... definitely don't need or want foam latex!

If those costumes are made from a foam of some kind, I would guess that it is a sheet material that was shaped rather than an expanding foam, which would take a mold with both a front and back surface.

Cool looking costumes, though. That represents a lot of work!

been chatting to one of the guys off the London Prop Store who acquired all the Riddick costumes, Hes finding out exactly what the armour was made from but says' J Foam' which is used in the film industry for props would work if mixed with some resin to help make the foam stronger.

The Yuuzhan Vong is a race. The term is so general as to prohibit all but the most general of standards from being established.

As with Nightsisters and Mandalorians this group is defined by individual expression. I'd like to see this discussion "reshaped", as it were, around defineable LFL commissioned individuals. From there unique references and unified discussion can be established and possible adoption by the 501st determined.

Be well,

Thomas

PS

In a year or two down the road, I imagine there could be at least one other YV in the costuming community. I'd bet my Plaeryin Bol on it.

Guest Cleverlilminx

PS

In a year or two down the road, I imagine there could be at least one other YV in the costuming community.

Ok now that is a hint if ever I read one. :D

Guest Anonymous

Nom Anor is by far the most popular Yuuzhan Vong and appears in the most material:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nom_Anor

He is in the Star Wars Databank, several Star Wars Essential sourcebooks, the Star Wars minis game, and several novels and comic books. This is the character I was leaning towards making.

Actually after further review, Tsavong Lah is quite the popular dude as well:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tsavong_Lah

He is pretty much in the same reference materials as Nom Anor.

If there were going to be Yuuzhan Vong in the legion, these two would be the best candidates hands down.

with regard to female Vong the shaper characters are the most well known

Nei Rin from the Legacy comics, and Mezhan Kwaad and Nen Yim from the NJO book series , who are also featured in NJO source book.

Nei RIn is the one im researching...even if not enough reference is there for her for 501st its more a challenge to make the costume and the fact i love their species

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:MasterShaperLegacy11.jpg

Guest Cleverlilminx
Nom Anor is by far the most popular Yuuzhan Vong and appears in the most material:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nom_Anor

He is in the Star Wars Databank, several Star Wars Essential sourcebooks, the Star Wars minis game, and several novels and comic books. This is the character I was leaning towards making.

Actually after further review, Tsavong Lah is quite the popular dude as well:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tsavong_Lah

He is pretty much in the same reference materials as Nom Anor.

If there were going to be Yuuzhan Vong in the legion, these two would be the best candidates hands down.

Hey get some LFL approved references for this one and I'll get the forum up for this character. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

For Nom Anor:

Ok, since I have the Star Wars RPG New Jedi Order Sourcebook and the Star Wars miniatues: Universe minis I'll see if I can get some scans up from them. I don't have the Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Characters so I'll have to see what kind of reference is in that. Same with the comic books.

Here's the pictures from the Star Wars Databank:

eu2_bg.jpg

eu_bg.jpg

The first one is from the RPG game I believe and the second is from one of the comic books, I have no idea which.

Guest Anonymous

I know this topic's been dead for a while, but I just thought I'd chime in to let everyone know there is still interest in this costume. My husband has started into the research phase for either a Nom Anor or a Tsavong Lah. He's determined to finish it, whether it's approvable or not. We'll work on finding references for it, although the Invasion comics should help a lot when they come out.

Guest Daritha

That would be cool. I recommend Nom Anor in his Crimson-Empire-II outfit. 1. I think its easier to get approved since Anor is an affiliate or denizen of the Empire (at least it seems so) and 2. I guess it could be more easy to realize. Get Batman as start kit and tranfsorm the costume. *always have Vong Man in mind when i see the CE-II-anor*

Anyway: Great idea, great project! You could chat with our user A'Sharad Hett. He's doing a Darth Krayt and could possibly give good advice with the Vonduun crab armor.

Leaving the topic of the headdress/face/hand of a shaper, I'm still trying to figure out what they wear!

The NJO references robes, and the picture of Mezhan Kwaad, on the edge of victory suggests this, too. I was thinking of a kimono type robe, but the miniature shows a completely different outfilt (Not that the miniatures have been known to be canon!)

I've also thought of a dress that looks like it is held up by a claw like hook at the neck line. Anyone else have a thought on this?