• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo (CCEE) 2013

Nefthys

Greetings!

Well it was just over a week ago that the 501st was at CCEE 2013. We ran another successful charity photo booth and everyone involved was amazing. Everyone really put in a great effort no matter what the task was. We worked with the Make A Wish children's charity this year and were able to raise $8,108.75 over the 3 days!!

Here is a group shot of (almost) everyone that helped out this year in the 501st.

501st_group_photo_ccee2013_sm_zps9afd1de3.jpg

We also had the pleasure of Ian McDiarmid visiting our photo booth and taking the time to have a photo op with some of our members.

emperor_zpscbea81d9.jpg

As well as running a successful photo booth, the 501st was asked to lead up the Parade of Wonders (POW) which kicked off the start of the expo weekend. There are some awesome photos as well as great video from the event. The parade ended in Olympic Plaza where the Mayor of Calgary White Hatted (similar to giving the keys to the city) the Emperor himself, as well as other visiting celebrities.

A great video covering the whole parade, as well as the whole ceremony can be found on youtube here:

And some pictures from the parade! Here is the 501st crossing the street in style led by Vader.

501parade_zps68c79624.jpg

Some pictures from the very talented David Luckman of Lucky Shot photography of the parade.

luckyparade_zpsf708f280.jpg

parade_zps33b569d6.jpg

And on a personal note I was able to finish my Mandalorian armour for this convention and get approval into the Mando Mercs costume club. I have been working on my armour for over a year now, but due to time constraints was only recently able to complete it. It was so good to finally have it done and be able to troop in it at the expo. I am now an official member of Hett'Ciri clan!

hettciri_zpsaf684ecf.jpg

And another great Mando group shot!

422126_10152783948745693_2063064555_n_zps1e478da5.jpg

Some other highlights from the weekend were getting to meet some really awesome celebrities! I got to meet John Rhys-Davies! They had a fantastic line up of people visiting this year, including Weta studios who had an amazing booth. "Booth" is really an understatement, they made their area look like a dwarven tomb with life size Gandalf and Thorin statues standing on top.

At the Weta booth was the brilliantly talented Dave Tremont who is one of their sculptors and prop makers. He brought with him the first reproduction of Radagast the Brown's staff to show off at the con. I had the chance to have a very awesome and long talk with him about prop making, costumes, the industry and so on. We chatted for almost 45 minutes while he was leaning on the staff. At the end of the conversation he offered to sell it to me, needless to say I jumped on the chance and did just that! I got a lot of odd looks walking around in my Nihilus robes with Radagast's staff, especially when hanging out with R2, heheh.

r2staff_zpse83bd096.jpg

It was a fantastic weekend overall! I am very excited for next year, but first is the Edmonton Expo this September. You can bet the 501st will be there again in full force!

Cheers,

Nef

I've found myself returning to this thread several times to enjoy the pictures, and even called a couple family members in to show what great stuff has been happening around the costuming world after they were posted. I'm really jealous about your Weta adventures as well. I'm so thoroughly hooked on behind the scenes stuff from LOTR and the Hobbit... I really need to do a Tolkien costume someday!

Thank you for sharing, and I'll look forward to seeing more in the future! (And if the staff mysteriously disappears, it wasn't me. Nope, don't know anything about that missing staff....)

Pam :-)

Haha! Glad you like the pictures Pam! It certainly was an amazing weekend. Every year I can't wait for CCEE to arrive, and then it all happens so quickly and you get to the end utterly exhausted, but very happy. Thankfully they have started running a second convention in Edmonton city. This year will be it's second con, and it's already booking fast. I'll certainly be posting up photos when it happens!

If my staff went missing, I somehow doubt I would mind a trip to sunny California to retrieve it, hehe. Speaking of, I'll be in California all next week for E3!

Cheers,

Nef