• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Is this COTF Nihilus acceptable?

Guest puncharen

Guest puncharen

I am seeing a person on eBay selling Nihilus costumes and claiming they are 501st approved, is this accurate? The seller is sundance_sg1 and a link to the auction is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-COTF- ... 20c3b974e4 I have also seen one on Etsy as well using the same photos. To me it looks a little too grey to meet standards or would I be wrong? Is this an acceptable COTF Nihilus?

I do not recommend this seller. The quality of the costume is not the best it could be, the weathering is not done well, and we have received emails from unhappy customers in the past who could not get their costume approved without a great deal of revisions. I've also received "you were right, I should have listened to you" PM's from members who bought this costume against my advice.

It's not a difficult costume to make... why not make your own? I especially like the fact that there's not much hemming to do. Tearing up the bottom edge is a lot more fun than sewing it! :-D

Pam :-)

Guest puncharen

Thank you for your quick reply. I didn't think it looked quite right and from experience know it is better to ask for clarification than to make assumptions. As far as me sewing one myself? I am a bit of a perfectionist when I try to do something myself. That being said, my sewing skills are absolutely nil and by the time I turned out one from myself that I would be satisfied with the amount of time as well as money invested would far exceed paying someone else who has the skills to do so. When I mess something up I start over and in the learning process I can almost guarantee I will mess up a lot.

Guest puncharen

Which also means I would be highly appreciative of any help in pointing me in the direction of a good seamstress or tailor that would be able to help me in the construction of a good Nihilus.

Currently I am researching my next costume (Armored Jedi from SWTOR). I have noticed that a lot of people advertise "501st Approved" or "Rebel Legion Approved". One thing that has been pointed out in a bunch of the forums I have read is they may have had their design or costume they are selling approved in early stages of acceptance. Standards for costumes can evolve as better reference photos, action figures, etc become available thus making the standards a bit more detailed oriented. So I would always be careful when it comes to purchasing something "501st Approved". Technically the person wouldn't be lying, however an honest seller will give you a heads up that it may not meet current standards set forth by the Legion and to check with the Legion to see what would need to be done to meet standards set forth.

I bought those fabric pieces from her and I love it. I was approved after making minor tweaks that were obviously needed since its hard to sew pieces for someone 2,000 miles away. I just did my first troop in it a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic. I need to add a few minor stitches to keep my cape in place as I was doing quite a bit of dueling with the kids at the event. She actually put up the pictures of me holding the thermal detonator and my lightsaber which was the first time I put it all on without doing any altering from it. I have a garrison buddy that also got her fabrics and we are gonna be working on his "cat ears" in the next few weeks and I have recommended her to a couple other friends that are looking to send in as an approved Nihilus. She was super friendly and accommodating throughout the entire process. Even helped me find proper gloves, belt, and boots to complete the outfit. I couldn't be any happier with it.