• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

From Merc to Sith Lord - Darth Nihilus WIP

cajun

Greetings!

I originally introduced myself last year while I was thinking of doing a Darth Revan. Well, my local garrison now has a Revan so I have now moved onto a Darth Nihilus. I'm working on getting a commission for the mask.

This might be a slow build since I'm about half through a Commander Cody build and it has priority. I decided to do Darth Nihilus because with a Merc kit and (soon) to be Commander Cody....I would really like a non-armored character. lol.

I do have one question. Where can I find the blackout mask? I googled a varity of words (blackout mask, blackout Halloween mask, form-fitting blackout mask, form-fitting black mask) and I can't seem to find anything similar to the blackout mask I need. Thanks!

If I have enough black stretch material I can make one up for you. I would need you to measure around your head at the eyebrows, if you could get someone to help it'll make getting a height measurement easier from the shoulder to the top of your head.

How are you planning on doing the Robes? Send me a PM and I can give you a few options.

PM sent...

Looks like Cody is being placed on the 'back burners". lol

Looks great! Got Scott's mask too, have to say it's the best looking one I've seen to date. Can I ask what you painted it with? I had no end of problems painting mine.

Not sure what my issue was. I normally just use Krylon paints for everything, but for some reason I just couldn't get this mask to take paint. Every time I tried teh paint ended up cracking. Eventually I switched over to a latex craft paint so the paint would stretch rather than crack. Eventually I need to repaint it and I'll try sprays again....it's getting a little weathered now ;)

That is weird. I use the generic Walmart brand for white, black, and red. For everything else I also use Krylon. From working on my Mandalorian armor I learned to use LIGHT coats with a few hours of dry time between. When I say light, I mean you can still see the primer/under layer until the 3rd coat of paint. Each layer (silver, white, and red) have about 5-6 coats.

I'll give that a try. To date I've pretty much always followed Krylon's rule of multiple light coats before it starts to cure. Didn't have a problem with any of my pieces so far (my Fett helmet is fiberglass, guantlets are resin, armour is sintra so I've got most materials done.) Once con season is done I'll try a repaint.

I primed my mask with Gesso and the paint held really well, never had to do any touch ups. However my mask is made with an acrylic base, so that might be why it sticks so well. Looks awesome Cajun!

Cheers,

Nef

Never hear of Gesso, but I'll look into. The only reason I need to touch up my paint is since I used acrylic art paint, it's not the most durable, and normally I'd throw a clearcoat on to protect it but I was dreading it ruining the probably 4th time I had painted the mask. To be honest more than anything it was likely just an environmental issue that caused the paint problems (too damp/cold maybe). Assuming the mask gets no worse it will be repainted once con season is done.

Anyone have any idea what happened to Volund Starfire/Galactic Quartermaster? Kind of fell of the face of the planet. Hasn't logged on lately or made a Facebook update....

Hopefully they weren't dragged into the shadows by Mickey Mouse and gang for selling 'Disneys' intellectual property....

**resurrecting**

Better job...

Acquired sewing skill...

and.....I was going to buy some raw silk from dharmatrading but they are sold out at the moment. Does anyone know where else to get black raw silk around the same price per yard?