• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Starting an AOTC Concept Asajj

Guest Boudicca

Guest Boudicca

Hello all -

With my Mara Jade almost done (pending the seamstress who's almost done with my bodysuit!), I wanted to start on an Asajj Ventress/concept version. All I have so far is 1 lightsaber and a pair of nice black boots (the same ones I use for my Imperial Officer).

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a good pale gray shirt to use as a base to sew on the black panels. Most grays I'm finding are medium-to-dark, or they are super-flimsy layering shirts or have so much texture/white streaks that they don't look appropriate to me. Does anyone have any leads or links? Alternatively, I could make the shirt from scratch, but I'm not really finding a good pale grey fabric either, so fabric ideas would be appreciated too!

Also, will this skirt work? I like the slit-up-the-sides look but wanted to be sure this would be approvable before I buy it!

Here's the front:

Skirt.jpg

Back:

Skirt-rear.jpg

Thanks!

Guest Boudicca

I bought the skirt! Now for the belt. I found this buckle on clearance at Tandy. It's 3 and a half inches in diameter; the opening is 2 1/2". I'm guessing the detail/etching on the front will be a problem, but if I can file that off somehow, would it work? Alternatively, what if I reversed it (pic of back side below also).

Edit: sorry these photos appear so huge - I uploaded them from my iPhone to photobucket using the PB app, and I've resized & repasted the IMG links twice, but they still are posting in full size.

5C48DE1E-0717-41E6-A20D-C1B3208DF616-936-0000011C9BA39DC1.jpg

849DA9C2-A7E3-42D4-B9C9-3533B01F3B5A-936-0000011C9FBD0B12.jpg

I agree that the skirt looks great.

Regarding the ring size: Based on your specs it sounds big enough, but to really make a determination, I'd like to see a pic of you holding it in proper placement perhaps wearing the skirt and a fitted top. That sort of thing is best determined by proportioning the item to the individual wearing it. For example if you were larger you would want a larger buckle if you were tinny then something smaller will work best.

Regarding the ring style: Yes I think it would work if you could carefully file off the marking on the ring and yes it would involve a lot of work. It would definitely look more elegant then the backside. I would attempt that first. Still using it in revers may be the easier option. You'd just need to file off the brand info, but before doing that, I would make sure that it will sit right on you. From the pictures, it looks like the ring might taper.

And I do like that you posted larger pictures of the buckles. Especially when you apply it is good to be able to see the details

I hope this is helpful. Good luck, it's looking good so far.

Guest Boudicca

Thanks for the advice! Here's some pics of me, one holding just the buckle, one holding the buckle over a 2" single black belt, and one holding the buckle over two criscrossed 1 1/4" belts that I can dye black. (Still not sure if I want to do the single belt or the crossed-belt option.) Let me know if you think I should stick with this buckle or a similar-sized one, or if you think I should go for a smaller or larger buckle.

Couldn't wear the skirt yet; it needs some alteration first. I think the angle of the photos may make me look a little more top-heavy than I am in real life; but if it helps I'm 5'4" and typically wear a size 10 (but am working to knock that down to an 8 by summer!)

827CB863-40F1-47E9-95E3-C4609C3244B8-3333-000005F89EE61519.jpg

2A95B5A1-AA52-454B-8AF2-CCE1E5959686-3333-000005F8A3959237.jpg

809B751A-164C-4AE2-88F3-7BF633CAB270-3333-000005F8A6B9235E.jpg

I'm thinking larger would be better. Sorry, I know it is really hard to find a large enough belt buckle for this costume. After looking for many months, I ended up using a combination of bathtub fixture, a ring from a horse's saddle, and towel holder ring myself. I know it sounds weird, but the results look good. Good luck with whatever you do.

Guest Boudicca

Wow sounds like quite a scratch building adventure! Thanks for the feedback. Will see what I can put together that's larger. If this has a 2 1/2" diameter opening and 3 1/2" diameter overall, how much larger would you make the buckle?

Guest Boudicca

Here's the latest on my belt adventures:

I went to Lowe's (hardware store) and found this piece: It's 5" across, and has a 3" opening in the middle, so I think the size will be more appropriate.

BC2B56C4-2EE2-4D1D-8AF8-213CE34D7D26-8678-00000E9B698A6EB7_zpsf562452c.jpg

229E3C23-5C4B-4CF4-A9C4-965B9CFA3642-8678-00000E9B6CBA8F42_zps8fdc053f.jpg

I've since removed the bent metal pieces on the inside.

Now, do I need to do anything about the gaps at the top and bottom, or are these OK as is if I glue them together so they don't separate?

Next question - In the picture below, I've taken two 2-inch black Imperial officer belts and criss-crossed them under the ring. But because the opening is 3 inches across, there is a gap of 1/2 inch at the top and bottom of the belts.

DC4B82F2-D2B1-40D7-8B8D-DB8E242FCDFE-8678-00000E9B7312A2C9_zps2c7aa0ee.jpg

This means that, if I build this as a functional buckle, there will be a portion of the silver bar (about 1/2 inch) that shows at the top and bottom. I understand from other threads that this is not accurate. So I'm considering building it so that the ring is permanently affixed to the two belts, and the belts latch on to each other using an inside hook like the one my husband used for the rear closure on his Darth Nihilus belt:

0866EBBD-A1A8-42F9-8A2A-1F37B9FE5DC9-8678-00000E9B7880B028_zpsfb151423.jpg

Any thoughts on whether that would work?

Final question - does anyone have any idea where I could get a thinner 2" belt blank than the one Tandy sells? The Tandy belts are thick and hard to work with, but when I've purchased Imperial belts from vendors, they've been thin, flexible, and form easily around my waist. Ideas?

An hour or so of work and I could probably knock one out. I have some thin hide from Tandy that was fairly on the cheap. I own a strap cutter and have made a detailed belt before, if you just need a dyed strap ready to go that should be no problem. I need to know all the details you're looking for though.

Guest Boudicca

Thanks much for the offer & I may take you up on it! I will need to get confirmation first from the ladies who know the Asajj costume that the general configuration I've proposed will work... but will definitely let you know if I need help! Thanks!

I don't think that having a bit of a gap between the buckle and the belts will be an issue. But yes, you don't want to see a bar there. And you'll need to remove those 4 small bars/springs as well (circled in the pic):

[attachment=0]buckle.jpg[/attachment]

Great work, I still find it amazing on here; all the talent and ingenuity that goes into the costumes. I can sketch, do graphic design and paint, but sculpting and sewing is definitely not my strong suit (haven't tried it yet but I can guess).

Can't wait to see the finished product, Asajj is a great character and I hope that in the coming Star Wars stand alone films she has a place in one of them.

Guest Boudicca
Great work, I still find it amazing on here; all the talent and ingenuity that goes into the costumes. I can sketch, do graphic design and paint, but sculpting and sewing is definitely not my strong suit (haven't tried it yet but I can guess).

Can't wait to see the finished product, Asajj is a great character and I hope that in the coming Star Wars stand alone films she has a place in one of them.

Thanks! And you know, I know it sounds cheesy but you never know if you can sew until you try! I had never used a sewing machine before last June. I'd joined the 501st with my Gunner and Rebel Legion with a pre-made Jedi costume that technically met the standards but was made from very cheap fabric that hung like a sack on me... after my first couple troops seeing how nice the other Jedi looked, I realized I had to figure out how to make a new tunic for myself if I wanted to look good in the photos! So I got a Singer Simple machine, practiced threading the thing about 20 times (while watching the DVD) and then followed the tutorials on the RL site for making patterns for & sewing up Jedi garb... a month later I had a brand-new Jedi costume! And then I learned that once you start it's hard to stop :)

Guest Boudicca

I think I've decided to do the single belt with obi instead of the criss-crossed double belt. Less to go wrong and less chance of a "wardrobe malfunction" while trooping, since I'm going with a non-functional buckle and interior hook closure. Ordered the hook from Tandy; hope to start making the belt in the next couple weeks or so.

In the meantime, I've been to the LA garment district, where I found the perfect light grey fabric for the shirt. Stretchy enough, yet durable enough to last. I also found & bought a pattern online for a knit top with princess seams from here:

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8323-p ... age_id=260

ShirtwPrincessSeam2_zps41c8f29e.jpg

0894c947-89a5-4104-ab8b-93b561c12aff_zps67a8da1b.jpg

Since I've never attempted a princess seam before, I will have to watch some YouTube videos before I start! The black fabric I bought for the panels is lighter weight and somewhat see-through, so I think I will need to add the panels over the gray instead of cutting them out as stand-alone pieces.

I realize this probably a very basic question, but how do I do the horizontal lines/ribbing on the panels? Is it just lines of stitches across or is there another method?

Edit: Another question - would these work as arm wraps? I found them on Amazon but haven't bought them yet. I realize I would have to add the triangle extension to the top, but otherwise these look pretty good to me. What do you think?

Armwraps_zps51690f24.jpg

Guest Boudicca

Also - about what size should the hexagonal piece of leather on the back of the belt be? I realize its going to need to be proportional to the person, but - for example should it be about the same width as the belt buckle in the front? Or smaller?

If you decide to add horizontal lines to the panels (because they are optional), you could stitch them on or paint them. Do whatever you think looks best.

Those arm wraps look pretty good, but will likely need to be modified to get the look exactly right. It may just be easier to make them yourself to get the right shape and details.

As for the hexagon, looking over ladyb's pics, I'm guessing 2-3" across? Do some mockups to test out the sizes and see what works best. ;)

Guest Boudicca

Thank you for the tips! You're right, it's probably easier to make the arm wraps mysel as their size chart is confusing. Here's a mockup with the leather bits and duct tape; I think the proportions look good- do you agree?

267A743E-A3FC-4336-BDBA-BBA622135398-1899-000002D6C1D194AB_zps7f90e4d7.jpg

Guest Boudicca

Thanks much!

I realize my progress has been sloooow due to work, life, etc., but I now have my belt blank (the old one I was using was pleather and the paint was flaking off) and blank straps to dye, and fabric for the obi. I'm finally planning to get back to work on this in the next week or so. My goal is to get this done & approved in time for a troop in June.

Next question (and I realize these are super-nitpicky but my goal is to do each piece only once and get it right!) :) If wearing a single belt the CRLs require a "wide" obi. I'm assuming that means the obi should be wide enough to extend above and below the belt buckle in the front. But how wide is wide? My buckle is 5 inches in diameter, so would a 7 inch wide obi be sufficient (one inch above & below the belt)? Or would you make it wider, i.e. 9 inches so that there are 2 inches above & below?

Edit: I had some time last night to sew, so I went ahead and made the obi wider, about 9 in. wide. I think it looks good this way! Belt is in progress, will post pics of belt/obi/skirt when they're ready.

Then, to tackle the shirt! I'm still a sewing noob and have never used a commercial pattern before so this should be interesting...

Thanks again for your help & advice!

Jen

Guest Boudicca

OK, so here's some pics of the "bottom half" of the costume - skirt and boots with the obi and belt. I think I'm going to need to put a dart in each side of the obi to pull it tighter on top (and to help keep the top snap from sagging & showing), but what do you think otherwise?

acdbf0e3-a760-4eef-baa8-bd6441fec486_zpsc179e5b3.jpg

0c7b0bc3-f21f-4b92-8f2e-f25b9876d06e_zps08b533ed.jpg

Back of belt closeup:

F3587B45-75A3-45F7-9D69-26BE3038DA56-1067-000001627BC7D9D7_zps467a38ad.jpg

That is looking very good! Great job on the stitching. I always struggle getting a straight line on thicker fabrics and leathers.

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Boudicca

Thank you! It took several tries plus a replacement needle (after the first "heavy duty/leather" needle for my machine broke)!

Also: The shirt is almost done, just needs to be hemmed up. I think it turned out well - but as I was finishing, my backstitch lever broke (this costume has taken quite a toll on my machine!) So no more sewing until the replacement part arrives :(

Guest Boudicca

I've made some progress - my arm wraps and shirt are done, and I managed to snag 2 Ventress lightsabers from eBay! Will try to get a photo up at some point but I've been so busy with work and travel I haven't had a chance to put everything on for a pictures. I've ordered the baldcap, prosaide, and makeup, and am looking forward to playing with that.

The only thing I still have to make is the collar, and I have some questions about the best way to do this. I've tried to make a pattern out of practice fabric first. Since I don't have a dress form, I've been using the foam head that my husband's Mr. Bungle Palpatine prosthetic arrived on!

But here's my dilemma. The leather-like vinyl I'm using is stretchy. Which is great for my arm wraps, but I'm unsure whether I should let the collar stretch, or whether I should put some interfaced lining on it so that it doesn't stretch.

Here's some WIP photos of the pattern I tried to make from the stretchy "practice fabric."

BCFFC09B-5DA8-48C8-AFF8-E1AF3EAEEEC9-2233-000003B0BBA7FE11_zpsfaf746f2.jpg

57945373-5C4D-4F58-81B6-65EF4D606535-2233-000003B0B8F49A83_zpsdc918f36.jpg

D61A7019-5AEC-4496-8867-52F3A532CD44-2233-000003B0ABEBB3A7_zps3593c443.jpg

45AB804F-3C45-45E0-BD2C-B3875542ADDB-2233-000003B0AF7DE2BD_zps3a58cde4.jpg

It seems to fit me (haven't sewn it up yet) but will stretch in places, especially since I now realize the back pieces were stretched out across the foam a lot more than the front piece was.

I thought perhaps I'd made a mistake by using stretch fabric (since actual leather more likely to be rigid) but when I tried to make a pattern out of some cheap broadcloth using the foam head as a base, it wouldn't sit right and the fabric kept folding and "bubbling" in front. So now I'm just not sure which way to go with this.

Should I proceed and cut the vinyl out with the "stretchy" pattern and plan to let it stretch? (recognizing that I'll have to secure it to the shoulders at least to make it lay flat?) Or should I keep trying to make a pattern from a more rigid material?

Any and all suggestions or advice are welcome!

Edit: I had some time last night and couldn't resist playing around with this some more. I decided that I needed to jump in and start actually working with the vinyl instead of trying to guess how the "practice fabric" pattern would translate to the actual material. I made the top piece that goes around the neck, and I did stitch on some interfaced lining, because I figured at least that part needed to stand up straight. I then made the lower part with the vinyl with no interfacing, and while the front came out pretty well, the two back pieces were too short! So I'll have to pull it apart & make new back pieces, but once I do that I think this actually might work!