• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Foam Acolyte in Progress

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Recently started working on my own Acolyte armor, don't know for sure if it will be 501st worthy once it's done or not. And it won't look like foam when I'm finished since I'll be plastic coating the front of the pieces after all the assembly is finished. Only hard part that will not be foam is the mask which I plan to get from Mynock.

Here's the chest and waist section constructed so far. I have been using 1/2" EVA foam. Also if anyone wants the pepakura foam patterns. Originally done by Jakkrit, edited by myself for foam.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ms28gx

346pd3b.jpg

I like seeing alternate materials being used ^_^ If you copy of reference pictures to the best of your ability then I'm sure your finished product will be 501st worthy. Keep us posted on your progress

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Aysel, I did have everything else but the mask finished yesterday, but after looking at other members costumes, I'm definatly going to be re-building the thighs. I plan to order the casting plastic by the end of the month which I plan to use for coating the armor with then sanding and painting it all.

I've actually been contemplating doing the same thing for my build. I used this same material to make my son's Starkiller armor. It worked great for that, & I've still got quite a bit of the foam left over. I'll be curious to see additional progress pics, to see how you complete your armor. Thanks for the inspiration! 8)

Guest Anonymous

Well hit a slight bump in the road, gotta redo it. Not sure what I'll do with this one. I'm 6 ft tall, and it's almost big enough but very tight on the leg. So by my expertise I need to size it up 30% after I looked at photos of others armor and noting that the thigh armor goes from almost the top of the thigh to right above the knee. Great part is I don't work this week so I can probably get the rest of the suit done this week as long as I have no other failures.

The one tricky part I'm learning with foam armoring is not to keep the heatgun in the same place for too long or run it over the piece for too long, burned foam isn't a good thing.

kdk1vc.jpg

Yeah, thanks for the files.

I cut my foam armor using some cardboard templates I eye-balled a couple of years ago but since then there has been much more interest and reference for this character so I might take another look at remaking the armor and these files will be a great start.

My armour kind of worked but wasn't that accurate:

6168907096_d52ea08bc1.jpg

Guest mexisol187

Also check out MyWickedArmor for masks. I LOVE my mask he made! Oh and ignore the chest piece, That was a rush job for that night. ;)

Guest lperea

WOW!!! The pieces you have done looks great. Want to see more.

Thanks for sharing the files, I wanted a sith and now I can do it myself.